FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By sagi58
Thought we could start up threads specifically geared around each of our drivers.
This one's for

By sagi58
, Oliver Harden wrote:">Why 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix Will Define Fernando Alonso's Title Chances

The Malaysian Grand Prix has almost always seemed to play an important role in the career of Fernando Alonso.

The Spaniard claimed his first Formula One pole position at the Sepang circuit in 2003 before claiming his first of three wins at the track two years later [2004 and 2005]—a result that elevated Alonso to the top of drivers’ standings for the first time in his championship-winning season.

His second-place finish in 2006 provided the perfect springboard for a streak of five wins from the next seven races, as Alonso conquered Michael Schumacher to win his second world title in as many years.

In 2007, Alonso took an assured debut win for McLaren to kick-start a season that saw him lose the title to Kimi Raikkonen by a single point.

It was a matter of small margins again in 2010 when Alonso’s Ferrari suffered a broken clutch, which led to handling problems. He later retired with an engine failure from ninth on the penultimate lap of the race at the beginning of a season which ended with the Spaniard missing out on the championship to Sebastian Vettel by four points.

The following year [2011], Alonso was in contention for a podium finish, but a collision with Lewis Hamilton left him in sixth with a 30-point deficit to Vettel after only the second race of the season.

Alonso recovered well in 2012 to secure what was arguably the finest grand prix victory of his career with an opportunistic drive in wet conditions. The rain proved to be his downfall last year, however, when he tagged Vettel at the start and retired from the race on the second lap after his front wing lodged underneath the Ferrari chassis.

His 2013 title challenge—due to his and Ferrari’s decision to soldier on with a wonky front wing—was over before it had even begun.

Maybe it’s down to the sweltering heat and draining humidity that makes the event so unique, but the Malaysian Grand Prix always seems to have some kind of effect on Alonso. Formula One’s arrival in Kuala Lumpur can either bring out the most thrilling or clumsiest aspects of his driving.

Perhaps it is no coincidence, though, that Alonso’s most unfortunate and error-strewn performances in Sepang have occurred in the period since he joined Ferrari at the beginning of 2010...

...With rain, F1’s great leveller, forecast for the Malaysian Grand Prix, however, the team could yet have more time to play with to fix their problems and fight for the 2014 title on even ground. In Alonso, Ferrari have the perfect lead driver to eke the most out of any opportunity and keep their prospects alive for as long as possible.

But with the Mercedes works team a class above the field and the German manufacturer’s customer teams packing quite a punch, Ferrari must register a victory sooner rather than later if they are to mount a genuine challenge this season.

And what better place to return to the top step of the podium than the scene of their superstar’s greatest triumph and the home of Petronas, Mercedes’ title sponsors?

Alonso might just be the one to watch in Sepang.
By sagi58
Ouch!!

Austrian Grand Prix: Fernando Alonso - I want trophies not respect

Fernando Alonso says he would rather have "more trophies" than "respect" for over-achieving in an uncompetitive car.

The Ferrari team leader was the only driver not using the dominant Mercedes engine to finish in the top seven at the Austrian GP. Alonso was fifth.

Asked if he took satisfaction from splitting the Mercedes-powered cars, the Spanish double world champion said: "Not much..."

"...There is always the satisfaction that everyone believes you are performing at your best," Alonso said.

"There is the respect from drivers, team principals, fans for the job that we do. But I prefer to have no respect and to win more trophies..."

...Alonso said it would be "impossible" for Ferrari to close the pace gap to the all-conquering Mercedes team this year...

...And he said he was hopeful Ferrari would improve enough to be competitive in 2015.

"Yes. In one year, many things can happen. And I expect 2015 will be again a big step from everyone including Mercedes.

"So we all will be better and definitely the teams that start with a lower baseline have more margin to improve and we will get closer or at the level of Mercedes. That's our hope and intention."
By spankyham
I think that statement from Fernando shows what sometimes separates the all-time greats. Senna and Schumi showed the ability to be ruthless to win and I think Fernando has that ability as well.
By sagi58
I think that statement from Fernando shows what sometimes separates the all-time greats. Senna and Schumi showed the ability to be ruthless to win and I think Fernando has that ability as well.

Great point, spanky!!

I'd made the connection to Schumi, as I'd seen him drive;
but, not to Senna! His fans seem to gloss over this aspect
of his personality, focussing more on his greatness!!
By spankyham
I find it odd that Alonso is not on the list of drivers with a large "net worth" and in my search, I found this:

, Ravi Ubha and Ben Wyatt wrote:">Fernando Alonso: The family ties that bind Ferrari's F1 star/quote]

The video is beautiful and there is a gallery of pictures of a younger Alonso!!

Great interview and and article! Thanks sagi :thumbup:
Oh crap...I just realised for a birthday present, I gave my ex an autograph that I got from Alonso at Silverstone....DAMMIT...At least it was not the only one...But I could make a lot of money from my Massa autographs ;)
By spankyham
Really good interview of Fernando with Brundle, just before the race. Nando is clearly very frank with his answers. Towards the end of the clip he gives an explanation as to why the stewards didn't act against people going off track in Hockenheim as opposed to what they were doing in Silverstone.

[youtube]0BkbqM294hY[/youtube]
By sagi58
Alonso has a great sense of humour and seems to be quite grounded in what he knows
he personally is capable of and what he realizes is beyond the ability of the car.

Bravo, Alonso!! :clap:
By spankyham
I don't believe there is any serious effort being put in by Ferrari to the rest of this season.
By sagi58
I don't believe there is any serious effort being put in by Ferrari to the rest of this season.

Limited P/U development + Limited testing = Limited chance at success. :irked:

See our F1 related articles too!