FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Thought I'd start a thread for us to share mechanical / technical "stuff" that some of us might or might not understand!! :angel:

My first (and possibly my last) offering is a video about Ferrari's foot-operated DRS:

Big SmOke wrote:">
Published on May 3, 2013

I do not own any of the content featured in this video.

The footage is owned by Formula One Management. All rights belong to FOM, as are the rights to the footage.

The F1 FORMULA 1 logo, FORMULA 1, FORMULA ONE, F1, GRAND PRIX and logos and the Sweeping Curves logo are trademarks of Formula One Licensing BV, a Formula One Group Company

[youtube]DSUOKXVow2s[/youtube]

As "un-mechanical" and "un-technical" as I am, this makes sense to me.
The car is not a "piece", thus the whole must be greater than the sum of its parts... no?

wrote:">Ferrari: Works teams have huge edge in new F1 formula

Ferrari's engine chief Luca Marmorini suggests that too much focus has been placed on the competitiveness of the engines alone, and believes success will ultimately depend on how the whole car comes together.

"The power unit is a big change, but also it will be extremely complex to incorporate the power unit in a competitive car," explained Marmorini. "For Ferrari, this has been a joint project [between chassis and engine departments]. With the power unit project, it has been fundamental for reliability.

"Any decision in terms of the engine has been as a result of discussions with the chassis people, because in the end the car has to win, not just the power unit."

peterwindsor wrote:">Peter Windsor and Rob Wilson take a look at one of the most intriguing pairings on the 2014 F1 grid -
ice cold Kimi and the man who ousted him from Ferrari, Fernando Alonso.

Who will win the political battle, and who will perform on the track?

Two former world champions (Kimi for Ferrari) who are both looking to make 2014 the year of Ferrari.

[youtube]RXNqxgfA5jQ[/youtube]
I've made it no secret that I'm not mechanically-minded; but, here is yet another version of what's not right at Ferrari...
((Yes, I shudder to use the word "wrong"!! :( ))

p.s. I did a LOT of editing...

, Tom Brooks wrote:">What's Happened to Ferrari?

Ferrari. The word, or rather team that's on everyone's lips currently in the Formula 1 paddock. Their performance this season has been the worst on record since the early-to-mid 90s slump where they failed to score a win in three years.

So, what is it that's wrong with the legendary Italian marque? Is it the car, the drivers or the management at fault? Is it a combination of all three? ...

...The Car

Firstly, lets start with the car. Due to the new lower nose regulations that were put in place for this season, many teams decided that to get the airflow underneath the car, thus creating downforce, that they needed to have a skinnier nose tip, thus why we have seen the like of the ant-eater and phallic-shaped noses.

The Scuderia decided to go down an all-together far more revolutionary route, with an almost vacuum-cleaner-esque front end...

... However, with the removal of different components at the rear of the car, such as the rear-wing beam and also change in exhaust positioning where it was previously used to blow onto the diffuser, giving traction and grip, allowing a driver to exit a corner and have more downforce in high-speed corners, Ferrari's somewhat bold design has proved to be less effective that originally planned...

...The aerodynamic problems are most certainly not aided by another fault in the design of the F14 T – the turbo cover...

... Essentially the ballistic turbo cover does what it says on the tin – it protects the turbo in the event of it either catching fire or exploding, which is a far more realistic possibility than it may sound given how hard the cars are pushed. In order for the cover to fulfil its purpose, it has to be strong and made from metal as a heat-guarding material. Now, strong and metal are not two things that a Formula 1 car designer likes to hear, because that means that it's going to be heavy. And heavy isn't good.

Ferrari found a loophole in the technical regulations and instead of manufacturing a bespoke cover, they decided to use the rear part of the engine cover (where the turbo is situated) instead. Essentially they strengthened it and made it so that in the event of the previously mentioned, it would be able to withstand such circumstances.

This all seemed like a good idea, but it still made the rear of the car heavier and with the centre of gravity being higher, it caused a severe reduction in traction, not helped by the lack of downforce, meaning that the car is incredibly difficult to get around and out of a corner.

The Drivers

One would imagine that the drivers are merely victims in this horrible situation where the Technical Director has designed a poor car, however their performance is ultimately what could bring the results...

Starting with Alonso, his ability to work magic behind the wheel of an uncompetitive car seems to know no bounds...

... He is easily their best chance of a debut victory under 2014s regulations, but with the main focus for the team on 2015, it will be increasingly more difficult to do so.

Forward to Raikkonen, probably the hot topic for most reading this article and I'll start off by saying what most of you are thinking – Yes, he has performed poorly. There's no denying it at all, his pace over a hot-lap has been between 0.5 and 1 second off of Alonso's, and over a race distance it becomes even more evident after having only beaten the double-World Champion in just one race out of 14 on the calendar so far.

But is it really his fault? There have been a fair few internal and structural problems at the Ferrari team, as is evident with the car that they have produced for 2014. The thing with Alonso's performances are that he has been driving Ferrari cars for just under four years now, whereas Raikkonen hadn't done so for five years...

... You can see a pattern emerging here, and although it all seems relatively obvious, it's all fact. Allison himself even went as far as to say at the Belgian Grand Prix that Raikkonen's driving style doesn't suit the design, and that speaks volumes for the Italian brand.

The question is now, what can the drivers do? Aside from giving constant feedback and asking for changes, not a great deal unfortunately...

...The Management

There have been key movements within the Ferrari camp this year, perhaps most importantly was Stefano Domenicali's departure from the Maranello-based outfit. He quit reportedly due to the poor performance from the team throughout recent seasons.

...the Italian states that he 'walked before he was pushed', demonstrating the cut-throat nature of Ferrari. Following Stefano, in came Marco Mattiacci... Performances have improved, and the car has gradually gotten quicker, but it's still around 0.5 of a second behind the likes Mercedes and Red Bull on a good day.

Marco's debut into Formula 1 was never going to be an easy one, and that wasn't helped by a further resignation from the Chairman, Luca di Montezemolo. Although Luca's involvement with the Formula 1 outfit wasn't exactly pivotal, his loss has certainly been felt within the team and indeed, the fans...

...Although Ferrari's 2015 plans regarding management are currently unclear with names such as Ross Brawn re-circulating and potentially Martin Whitmarsh, I do wonder whether the Italian-marque need to get the infrastructure sorted before too long, as 2015 is only six months away from lights out.
I don't think he's that far from the mark with his comments about the car really.

There is a lot of change going at within the team, but, like the financial markets, there's a lot of over-reaction that goes on. Our performance this year is about the same as 2009.
Translated by Image wrote:">Ferrari: a different triangle in suspensions

Kimi has smaller arms cased with rapid prototyping for cover have aerodynamics similar to Alonso

The Ferrari went to the Brazilian GP with two different configurations of the left rear suspension in the F14 T, though with identical schema: in two images you will notice the differences. On the left, you see the upper triangle Kimi Raikkonen's car, which seems to have levers that are lighter (and more rigid) that were specially clad with covers that look like made in rapid prototyping (whereby the aerodynamics can be easily editable), while on the right you can see the traditional version mounted on the machine of Fernando Alonso. Almost certainly this is an experiment aimed at gathering useful information for the 666, the number of the 2015 project. The right suspension, however, looks identical for both drivers. We'll see in practice what experiments will be conducted on the red cars.

Here's the original in Italian: Ferrari: un triangolo diverso nelle sospensioni
Kimi ha bracci più piccoli carenati con cover in prototipazione rapida per avere l'aerodinamica simile ad Alonso

See our F1 related articles too!