FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By overboost
Renault buys Lotus - for £1!

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau ... am-664965/

Renault paid just £1 to take over the Lotus Formula 1 team when the deal was finalised just before Christmas, company accounts have revealed.

Delivering an indication of just how keen the previous owners were to find new funding and an investor who could pay off past debts, only a token payment was necessary to finalise the deal.

Accounts also confirm that Genii Capital and its affiliate Gravity Motorsports have retained 10% ownership of the restructured organisation, and waived £98.2m of shareholder loans to the team.

A good deal with Genii eating its loans for just a 10% stake in the team. So will Renault be keeping Maldonado??
By darwin dali
With Lotus now being Renault - here ya go: Renault Support!
By myownalias
The last time a team was bought for £1, the next season that team went on to win the world drivers and constructors titles... I wonder?
By myownalias
Nah, no need to wonder :hehe:

And tomorrow, we get an announcement that Ross Brawn will be team principle for the new Renault team... with a Mercedes works engine deal... IT COULD HAPPEN!
By sagi58
WoW!! I think I had £1 in my car!! :thumbup:

Here's hoping this is good for F1!!
By LewEngBridewell
WoW!! I think I had £1 in my car!! :thumbup:

Here's hoping this is good for F1!!

Red Bull Racing famously bought Jaguar Racing from Ford for £1, and they seemed to fare alright... :hehe:

It was very exciting watching Renault fight McLaren and then Ferrari for the titles in 2005 & 2006, here's hoping they can achieve similar heights again.
By darwin dali
Red Bull Racing famously bought Jaguar Racing from Ford for £1, and they seemed to fare alright... :hehe:

And Ross Brawn bought Honda for £1, won the titles that year, sold it to Merc and now Merc is dominating...

In the interest of full disclosure: I love dollar stores :)
By stonemonkey
The last time a team was bought for £1, the next season that team went on to win the world drivers and constructors titles... I wonder?

It wasn't even their best car that came with that deal, what can you expect for a quid though.
By sagi58
Question of the New Year:

Is the third time the charm?
Will it be a hat trick at every race?

ooops... that's two questions!! :whip:
By Jabberwocky
Romour are that Prost will be team boss.

It went well for ProstF1.... oh no wait

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
By darwin dali
Romour are that Prost will be team boss.

It went well for ProstF1.... oh no wait

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

You little devil you :twisted:
By sagi58
Rachel Hack wrote:">F1 News – Renault reveal 2016 colours and confirm driver line-up for the season ahead

The Renault Sport Racing F1 team (formerly the Lotus F1 team) today unveiled their 2016 runner at an official launch event in Paris, celebrating their return to the F1 grid as a manufacturer, and becoming the first team to give us a sneak peek at their 2016 livery.

Carlos Ghosn, CEO of Renault Group confirmed the team would be named Renault Sport F1 and would continue in their partnership with Infiniti, whose name would be seen on the RS16’s livery. With branding also coming from Jack & Jones, Microsoft, EMC, long time partners Total and also a smaller showing from Genii. Cyril Abiteboul will take up the role of Managing Director, with Fred Vasseur, the former Team Principal of the GP2 championship winning ART GP team, coming in as Racing Director and Bob Bell will return to Enstone as Chief Technical Officer.

The car itself is predominantly matt black with yellow inflections on the side, which Renault have confirmed although it is essentially just a livery show car, the design and colours will remain very similar come Melbourne, but further updates/changes would likely be introduced prior to the start of the F1 season.

Also confirmed at the event was the Renault Sport driver line-up of Jolyon Palmer and alongside him, the much predicted Kevin Magnussen, with Esteban Ocon taking on the role of Reserve Driver for the French team.

The Renault Group see their return to F1 as a constructor to be a more fulfilling venture, with better return on their involvement compared to being purely an engine supplier. They will also continue with their driver development programme, to hopefully mould their own stars of the future. Brit Oliver Rowland, who won the Formula Renault 3.5 championship last year, has already signed up to that programme and will race in GP2 in 2016 with MP Motorsport, with whom he took part in 2 races in the Series last season. Rowland will be hoping to benefit from the support of such an affiliation, which should boost his F1 hopes greatly.

The French owned team’s last taste of success in the F1 arena was back in 2005/2006, when a certain Fernando Alonso became a double World champion. Renault Sport will be hoping to emulate those days, although they have said in all honestly that it is likely to take them at least three years to get back to the very top of the sport, which is where they aim to be.
By sagi58
 wrote:">Formula 1: A closer look at the drivers' cars for the 2016 season

Formula 1 constructors have revealed the designs of their new cars for the 2016 campaign.

But what should we be looking out for ahead of pre-season testing? BBC Sport highlights a selection of key features...

...Renault

Renault held their official launch three weeks ago, although did not reveal their 2016 car then. Instead, that made its first appearance on Monday in the first pre-season test.

The RS16 is powered by Renault's R.E.16 power unit.

Renault racing director Frederic Vasseur: "Renault have proven in the past they can achieve and do it. Motorsport is a part of the DNA of Renault, and the motivation is more than high. We have a new challenge in front of us, and we are determined. For everybody - the drivers, the team, the engineers - the group is behind us and we have their full support."

See our F1 related articles too!