FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By CookinFlat6
image.jpg

#SF15T Front pull rod retained albeit revised suspension geometry with Mercedes style conjoined lower wishbones pic.twitter.com/T8N84adjSC

https://twitter.com/techf1les/status/561129768419352576

Here's a bit more about the Ferrari and the surprising revelation that Ferrari bosses say they are facing another difficult year and will be happy if they get two wins
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12474 ... the-sf15-t

I cannot believe they kept the pull rod geometry. The last thing kimi seemed to need, and that Seb most definitely did not need is more front emphasis. Even Button didnt see any net gain by its tyre warming. Alonso ofcourse got the best out of it but now he is gone, why o why would they keep this?

Why have ferrari fans not asked this question?
By racechick
I found that odd considering the two drivers styles.
By What's Burning?
image.jpg

#SF15T Front pull rod retained albeit revised suspension geometry with Mercedes style conjoined lower wishbones pic.twitter.com/T8N84adjSC

https://twitter.com/techf1les/status/561129768419352576

Here's a bit more about the Ferrari and the surprising revelation that Ferrari bosses say they are facing another difficult year and will be happy if they get two wins
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12474 ... the-sf15-t

I cannot believe they kept the pull rod geometry. The last thing kimi seemed to need, and that Seb most definitely did not need is more front emphasis. Even Button didnt see any net gain by its tyre warming. Alonso ofcourse got the best out of it but now he is gone, why o why would they keep this?

Why have ferrari fans not asked this question?

Apparently the pick up points were changed (lowered) which should improve "feel" specifically what Kimi was lacking.
By CookinFlat6
This takes Seb even further from the RB9 characteristics he needs. Theres a reason only 1 team are using this geometry - it sacrifices too much front setup window - the last thing the less adaptable drivers need and its big benefit - working the front tyres quicker - is likely to be a waste if Pirreli are bringing more aggressive tyres all round.
Oh yeah, and it must dictate the airflow philosophy ultimately at the back.

I may be missing something major here but it looks to me like Ferrari have thrown away the Merc style front nose aero philosophy and have adapted the wrong front suspension geometry to try and fit with the RBR front aero from last year

Maybe they have a breakthrough on the engine front that commands this :confused::confused:
By racechick
Getting complicated for me. All I can think is to change it would have affected other parts of the car that they didn't want affecting...or if would be too big a job to change??
By CookinFlat6
Ok, they are not restricted in developing the car only the engine. The car AND the engine were poor last year, therefore you would expect the car to show the biggest evolution - like Mclaren changing its car during winter 2012, ferrari have the resources to produce a chassis up there even if the engine is behind still
keeping this costly front geometry is not a sign of a complete over haul, its not a sign of making the best chassis possible withing this years regs - if there was any benefit in keeping the pull rod, other teams would have done it for 2014 and most definetely changed it for 2015

Then we come to the small matter of Kimi not liking it

Doenst make any sense
By What's Burning?
I think Pirelli aren't bringing more aggressive rubber per se, it's that they expect the additional power and development to push the existing choices towards the aggressive.

In other words one real pit stop in Sochi.
By sagi58
Getting complicated for me. All I can think is to change it would have affected other parts of the car that they didn't want affecting...or if would be too big a job to change??

You've taken the words off my keyboard!! So... I did a little "googling"!!

, William Esler wrote:">Ferrari stick with pull-rod suspension after deciding to focus resources elsewhere

Both Vettel and Raikkonen prefer positive front end offered by push-rod layout; James Allison says slim rewards didn't warrant winter development time...

...Every year you set out what areas of the car you think you should put your effort into and improve them,” Allison explained.

“These are decisions that need to be taken carefully because when you make a choice to work on one part of the car, you are effectively making a decision not to work on another part of the car as you don’t have infinite resources. So you have to pick the things that you think will bring you the maximum amount of return for your efforts.

“Push-rod and pull-rod on the front has pros and cons on both. The pull-rod is probably harder to get light and stiff, but it is probably a bit easier to get aerodynamic performance from it. So it is swings and roundabouts and it was an area of the car that wasn’t felt to be a problem on last year’s car and therefore not an area that really merited investment in this time round.”...
By sagi58
, Jonathan Noble wrote:">Ferrari expects its 2015 F1 car to suit Kimi Raikkonen better

Ferrari technical director James Allison is confident that the team's 2015 Formula 1 car will suit Kimi Raikkonen better than last year's

Raikkonen struggled throughout 2014 with a lack of confidence under braking and on corner entry, which left him unable to regularly challenge team-mate Fernando Alonso.

But with Ferrari chiefs now having a better understanding of what the Finn needs to be successful, the team has made tweaks to the concept of its 2015 F1 challenger.

Technical director James Allison said after the launch of the new SF15-T on Friday that Raikkonen should be better off this year.

"We will only know for sure once we are running on the track, but I hope that the SF-15T will be much more comfortable for him with both a stronger front end in mid corner and more support from the rear under braking," said Allison.

Raikkonen could also be helped by stronger rear tyres from Pirelli - which will help improve confidence when cornering.

"It will be the rear casing that is the most significant," explained Allison.

"It allows the car better support under combined loading conditions and gives the driver more confidence through the corner as a result."
By sagi58
It sounds like Ferrari has definitive reasons and explanations for the decisions that are made internally.

, Jonathan Noble wrote:">Ferrari's 2015 F1 engine gains tipped to improve grand prix pace

...Comprehensive engine changes have featured in Ferrari's winter efforts, and technical director James Allison believes a big step forward will be that its race form will no longer be compromised by its power unit being unable to recover as much energy as its rivals...

..."A definite weakness of last year's car was that the amount of electrical energy that we were able to recover from the turbo was not really good enough for producing competitive power levels during the race.

"It was one of the reasons Ferrari's qualifying performance was relatively stronger than race performance last year.

"We have tried to change the architecture of the engine to make it a better compromise between qualifying and racing performance."...

...After calling the pace difference between Ferrari and Mercedes "unacceptably large", Allison says a lot of effort has also gone into aerodynamics.

The rear of the car is much more tightly packaged, and there has been considerable work on improving cooling efficiency.

"The back of the car is something that is noticeably different to the 2014 car, where we have been successful in pulling the bodywork much tighter to everything under the skin," he said.

"That has been done through a lot of work, not just in the windtunnel, but also in the design part of the company to try to find radiator designs that were fundamentally more efficient.

"So for every square centimetre of radiator, we were able to extract more cooling than last year and therefore able to close the car down at the back as a consequence."
By CookinFlat6
They have screwed up by starting too late whilst politicking. They are admitting they kept the pull rod due to 'finite' resources, so if they could they would have completely redesigned the car. The rear is tighter but McLaren have gone much further at the back with tight packaging

For a team with the biggest budget this is rather poor as there should be no excuses on the body front.
I am not sure how they are targeting wins when this cars delta to Williams, Mvlaren and RBR has to be worse than last years when Alonso was there

Let's see what happens in testing but I think this is likely to be their weakest start for a long while
By sagi58
Nice "nose job":

McLaren's is similar:

As is the Lotus:

Force India is a wider version:

But, Mercedes went for something different:

As did Williams:

Sauber's seems a combination of Lotus and Williams:

By CookinFlat6
Interesting if somewhat optimistic, IMO look at the Fist. I am just not sure Allinson has done as much as PP at McLaren to overhaul a previously lame car

[youtube]2w8ebQPS9ag[/youtube]

See our F1 related articles too!