FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By Hammer278
Lol wasn't Tombazis that stud who was responsible for a few of those great McLaren machines until Ferrari snapped him up, I believe this was around the time they got Alonso as well. Shaping up for some high octane V10, oops, V8 dominance. :eek:

As far as this thread goes, RIP.
By What's Burning?
I did not know this. :yikes:

Mattiacci isn’t merely sacked, he’s jettisoned from the Ferrari family altogether
By racechick
I did not know this. :yikes:

Mattiacci isn’t merely sacked, he’s jettisoned from the Ferrari family altogether

Oh that's mean! The guy was doing the right things. :( I actually really liked him.
By Hammer278
Too much ego, too little talent. Watch as Ferrari further self destruct. I heard today they fired another tyre engineer as well.
By racechick
Too much ego, too little talent. Watch as Ferrari further self destruct. I heard today they fired another tyre engineer as well.

What do you mean? Too much ego and too little talent in M&M man, or in Ferrari in general? I think m&m man would have come good if they'd given him a chance.
By CookinFlat6
MnM man was expendable and was encouraged that he had some time and could make some hard decisions. As soon as he had done the hatchet man job he had to go so that the big changes are no longer Ferraris fault if they go belly up. And the new(est) guy can come in with a smile, telling everyone that Marco the knife was not as respectful etc as he intends to be, basically good guy, bad (historical) guy

Except Arrivederchi seems unable to resist getting his own knife out and 'shaping' the team to his 'plans'. Its basically a landgrab scenario, with the teams welfare taking second place to latent political point proving, vengeance, ego, pride - the whole shebang. At least we dont have to look far to see the precedents and likely outcome - Ferrari before the Todt era

This time round the firm is going to have multiple ROI obsessed mercenary owners and so the good thing is that the nepotism of the past is almost over. The bad news though is that the prancing horse will have to prance for real for the first time ever, otherwise it has a one way ticket to the knackers yard to be turned into designer glue

I wonder how many Ferrari fans here have actually looked into the teams managerial, political and corporate ownership history, maybe that would be considered ""disrespectful"" and not ""support"". Maybe the best parallel would be the period before Fiat took the controlling stake, or even when they took the first stake
By What's Burning?
MILAN (Bloomberg) -- Ferrari is considering moving its fiscal residence outside Italy to save on corporate taxes as the supercar maker prepares for its spinoff from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, people familiar with the matter told Bloomberg.

The carmaker, which uses the colors of the Italian flag in its logo, may follow in the footsteps of Fiat Chrysler, which is registered in the Netherlands, listed on the New York Stock Exchange and based in London for tax reasons, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions are private.

Other options including keeping its Italian residence are still on the table, and a shift in its fiscal residency wouldn't affect its manufacturing and engineering operations in Maranello, about 190 kilometers (118 miles) south of Milan, the people said. A final decision will be made in coming months, the people added.
By Hammer278

What do you mean? Too much ego and too little talent in M&M man, or in Ferrari in general? I think m&m man would have come good if they'd given him a chance.

The board.
By racechick
Well, well, well! War it is at Ferrari as the new M man goes after Montezemelo. And this article does give credence to the fact that ferrari appointed him because of his political gamesmanship ( for want of a better word) . What indeed could this gentleman do with his veto? .....that no other team has! How far down the veto route would this dude go to attain the success that alludes Ferrari on engineering and track merit? It's a little worrying.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/12/m ... d-ferrari/
By sagi58
Sounds to me like Marchione isn't looking for special favours...
...Marchionne said on Monday that he does not approve of people with strong vested interests from their former roles taking on positions in administration. He noted that he would have objected to Jean Todt’s candidacy as FIA President for the same reason, had he been around at the time...

Also, I'd have thought that most would have appreciated the irony of di Montezemolo negotiating a Ferrari veto over the CEO, only to have it used against him, when the time came that he went after that position:
By racechick
It's ironic indeed, but if he can do that at home what might he do to aid Ferraris cause away from home, with his set of favours bestowed on Montezemelo by Bernie.

From the article....
'If he will do this so close to home, at Ferrari, then surely at some point he will do the same with the F1 business too. That veto right over the CEO is a powerful weapon in the hands of a man like Marchionne, as are all the other levers which Montezemolo negotiated into the F1 bilateral agreements with Ecclestone and the FIA to look after Ferrari’s interests.'
By What's Burning?
My question is why now? It's not like this was Ferrari's first bad season. Their 2013 was pretty poor and indicative of the direction they had been going in. What was different about 2014? He's throwing Alonso, Montezemolo, and no one even remembers Stefano it was so long ago. I am of the belief that Marchione is just looking to put as much lipstick on the pig as possible before the divestiture.
By sagi58
There are bits and pieces of a bigger puzzle in that article.
Some is speculation/rumour, some is conjecture/possibly true, but not proven.
Some of it may simply be fear-mongering, in order to sell...
By What's Burning?
We conjected about Stefano, Luca, and even the potential dismantling of what "used" to be for the sake of improving profitability. So far the conjecture has been pretty accurate. Nothing good comes from throwing the guy/s that ran the empire under the bus. It's not the Ferrari "way". Even at the point of Luca's departure I recall the company line being that he was moving off to manage the airline relationship with the Arab investors for Ferrari. It was a gesture of saving face for the guy that had steered the ship for a quarter of a century.

As I said... something changed.
By sagi58
...As I said... something changed.

Hopefully, for the better.

Sometimes you need to "clean house" before you can re-organize.
Think of the clutter that builds up over the years, in the basement,
in the garage, in that room no one wants to go into. Sometimes,
you just need to rent a bin, close your heart to sentiments and just
throw things out.

I just pray the baby doesn't go out with the bathwater!!

See our F1 related articles too!