FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By sagi58
Ferrari is the winningest F1 team, with 221 wins, the next highest team being McLaren with 182. <----- not an opinion.

Actually Ferrari is the losingest F1 team with ~658 losses :hehe:

It's all about perspective, eh? :thumbup:
By What's Burning?
Ferrari is the winningest F1 team, with 221 wins, the next highest team being McLaren with 182. <----- not an opinion.

Actually Ferrari is the losingest F1 team with ~658 losses :hehe:

Now that's also NOT an opinion... but it is my opinion that you shouldn't be so pessimistic! :headpat: Let's turn that frown upside down! Alonso is driving fantastically, making it easier for the world to see what he can do with an underperforming car. Look at Vettel by comparison. Ferrari can take this year, analyze where they fell short without the pressures of having to compete at the sharp end. Look what happened to both McLaren and Ferrari in 2009 with the stresses of having to develop their 2008 cars to the very end of the season.

Silver linings...
By sagi58
... Let's turn that frown upside down! Alonso is driving fantastically, making it easier for the world to see what he can do with an underperforming car. Look at Vettel by comparison. Ferrari can take this year, analyze where they fell short without the pressures of having to compete at the sharp end...

...Silver linings...

ImageMy hero!!
By Hammer278
I think he made up his mind to retire after Race 3. :hehe:

Already thinking of the millions in the bank, all that alcohol back home in his double door fridge, and those magnums in the freezer which should last him a life time.

Life is good for the Kimster.
By What's Burning?
I actually like this guy. Not bad mouthing Kimi at all, simply stating the facts and that Kimi can see the chasm between himself and Alonso... Ferrari will support him while he continues to try and improve the things he needs to. Very positively delivered. Yet still sending out a very clear message.
ESPNF1 Marco Mattiacci is convinced Kimi Raikkonen is the driver Ferrari "needs" despite his poor form which has seen him outperformed by team-mate Fernando Alonso at every race in 2014.

Raikkonen's form is a continuing source of speculation and analysis, with his 11th-place finish at the German Grand Prix leaving him 78 points behind Alonso at the half-way stage of the season. When it was put to Ferrari team principal Mattiacci that Raikkonen is yet to beat Alonso in ten races this year he insisted that is not how he is looking at it.

"You are talking about soccer, ten to zero," Mattiacci said. "This is not Formula One. I disagree totally with your analysis. 10-0 could be tennis, soccer, but not Formula One. I've never seen this scoreline [in F1]. Kimi is the driver that we need. We need to make more points, but he is the driver that we need."

Mattiacci believes Raikkonen is the only man who can turn his season around but insists no-one at Ferrari doubts the Finn's importance to the team.

"I think he knows what he can do better. It's not up to me; he's a professional driver who won a world championship with Ferrari. He's motivated and he knows his area of improvement. He can see Fernando ahead and that visibly it's a tough moment but we are all together in this. He has the upmost confidence and support from Ferrari."
By racechick
Very classy comments. A good guy.
By What's Burning?
I know Ferrari as a practice does not bring on rookie drivers but a thought struck me this morning, has Ferrari ever had a rookie driver? I can't think of any. Do Ferrari fans feel that's a policy that should/could be revisited given their struggles with the number two slot?

I just can't help feel that part of the situation at Ferrari has to do with the conscious decision to not bring on (clearly talented) drivers because they feel they aren't ready.
By spankyham
I know Ferrari as a practice does not bring on rookie drivers but a thought struck me this morning, has Ferrari ever had a rookie driver? I can't think of any. Do Ferrari fans feel that's a policy that should/could be revisited given their struggles with the number two slot?

I just can't help feel that part of the situation at Ferrari has to do with the conscious decision to not bring on (clearly talented) drivers because they feel they aren't ready.

An Historical Response
Enzo would go all out to hire who he thought were the best and deliberately pit them against each other to determine who would be the #1. He copped a lot of criticism for not declaring a #1 driver at the start of each season. Some people claimed that pressure from Enzo directly lead to the deaths of some of his drivers. Enzo hired both experienced and rookie F1 drivers. Look at '59. His driver line-up was Hill and Gurney (new to F1) along side Behra and Brooks (experienced guys) and also Allison who I think had competed in 58. Lauda wasn't a rookie when he joined Ferrari, but he wasn't a proven quantity either. Enzo hired him because Clay said he was really fast.

My Thoughts on the Current team
Ferrari has the FDA (Ferrari Driver Acadamy) with some really talented young guys. Perez (an ex FDA driver) and Jules are better known but Marchiello is a huge talent and well worth a watch in the GP2s. Then there's a really young Canadian, Lance Stroll who I think is a very exciting prospect and is currently a long way ahead in the F4 championship. I think Jules looks well placed to replace Kimi. Although it was very interesting to see Fernando heaping praise on Dan recently.
By What's Burning?
But there's my point Spanky, even if they're looking at the right talent, they're not doing the same as other teams, Williams and McLaren have put rookies in an F1 car whereas Ferrari is and has always been unwilling to do so. In my opinion they are leaving something on the table and other teams have capitalized on that.

what you're not telling me is, as a fan you agree or disagree with the policy.
By CookinFlat6
I think a big part of the new guys job is to change how the FDA system works, maybe after studying RBR and McLaren. from what I have seen and heard of him, he is not going to leave anything the way it was if it can be improved.

and Ferraris recent hiring system - Kimi out and in (and out again?) while young and quick academy drivers are not even given a shot - definitely aint working
By spankyham
But there's my point Spanky, even if they're looking at the right talent, they're not doing the same as other teams, Williams and McLaren have put rookies in an F1 car whereas Ferrari is and has always been unwilling to do so. In my opinion they are leaving something on the table and other teams have capitalized on that.

what you're not telling me is, as a fan you agree or disagree with the policy.

I don't think our driver line-up is what is preventing us from winning and being competitive right now.
By CookinFlat6
He didnt say it was the hiring policy stopping Ferrari from winning, he asked if the youth system was a source of their hiring issues

or are we not allowed to mention Ferraris problems at a macro level on the support thread?
By What's Burning?
Let's eke the level of the discussion away from the fringe please.

Spanky, or anyone that's a Ferrari supporter, I'm curious as to the honest opinion on whether or not Ferrari has left something on the table. Their driver situation isn't the biggest contributing factor to the year's results but by any definition, it is still a factor.
By CookinFlat6
You are going to need a tifosi who is knowledgeable about the FDA and able to appraise the junior and senior drivers objectively

:hooli-popcorn:

See our F1 related articles too!