FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By racechick
Sagi look up the footage from that crash. It's unprecedented. Then you'll understand why Mercedes left the sport. There's been a programme on it, it's so sobering.
By sagi58
Sagi look up the footage from that crash. It's unprecedented. Then you'll understand why Mercedes left the sport. There's been a programme on it, it's so sobering.

It was definitively horrific! Not questioning that.
My question wasn't about whether they were justified or not.
Rather, I wondered if we're to believe they cared more than
the other teams that didn't leave.
By CookinFlat6
Rather, I wondered if we're to believe they cared more than
the other teams that didn't leave.

Sagi, do you actually care for the truth at all, or is everything about petty point scoring??

If we are to believe they cared more than other teams who didnt leave??? After your first comment about this it was obvious you hadnt reseachred or looked up the details, and even after Rc explained more you obviously still havent looked it up yet are making important judgements

Sagi - IT WAS A MERC CAR THAT KILLED THE SPECTATORS, NOT THE CARS OF THE OTHER TEAMS - maybe thats why Merc was the team that left, and not the other teams.

Its a really cheap shot to denigrate a team over the most harrowing event in their history especially coming a few years after their rehabilitation and welcome back to racing after the second world war

This would be a new low even for you, but the saving grace is that we know you didnt bother to check up on the details in your haste to have a pop at Merc.
By What's Burning?
A little bit more history, Alfa Romeo was the dominant F1 team Actually trouncing Ferrari the first two seasons it competed. They were the first Italian team to win an F1 race and only due to their lack of funding and ability to put cars on the grid for a third season, did Ferrari rise to winning the following two season.

Ferrari went through drivers like a breakfast diner goes through eggs in the morning, with a laundry list of dead drivers left by the roadside, and Enzo's legacy being born, that it's THE TEAM FIRST. So when Mercedes cam on board in 54 and 55, they promptly put Ferrari back in their second tier place. So the mighty Ferrari start to F1 was rocky at best. They didn't actually win again until they hired Juan Manuel Fangio, and didn't win a constructor's championship until the 60's.
By CookinFlat6
The fact I find most galling is that Enzo only started employing foreign drivers because their deaths were easier to handle emotionally than those of Italians
By Ichabod
Sagi it wasn't just F1 that Mercedes quit

After also winning the Targa Florio, the last major race of the 1955 season, Mercedes-Benz announced that they would no longer participate in factory sponsored motor-sport

and a side note Ferrari and Lotus are joint top of the how many drivers killed in one of our cars leader board with 7 fatalities each
By What's Burning?
Sagi it wasn't just F1 that Mercedes quit

After also winning the Targa Florio, the last major race of the 1955 season, Mercedes-Benz announced that they would no longer participate in factory sponsored motor-sport

and a side note Ferrari and Lotus are joint top of the how many drivers killed in one of our cars leader board with 7 fatalities each

Ohh... a record, eh?
By CookinFlat6
So Ferrari are the best killers in F1 history, or should that be the worst :scratchchin:

With Ferrari must be the latter
By spankyham
Its a really cheap shot to denigrate a team over the most harrowing event in their history

Correct
By Hammer278
Nobody gives a $hit about the Red Donkeys, this is the Merc thread. Why the heck do we care about what some other team had achieved in the previous decade, some of us prefer to live in the present. :rolleyes:

[youtube]wp5B_seyVB0[/youtube]
Last edited by Hammer278 on 17 Oct 14, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
By spankyham
A little bit more history, ....

Thanks for that post WB :thumbup: Personally I enjoy reading F1 history.
By What's Burning?
A little bit more history, ....

Thanks for that post WB :thumbup: Personally I enjoy reading F1 history.

I have some fundamental disagreements with Ferrari but it's all in the past now. I much prefer talking about modern F1 (meaning since I started watching in the mid 80's). Some lessons are bitter pills and most teams have a history of bitter pills swallowed, not just Ferrari.
By CookinFlat6
Why the heck do we care about what some other team had achieved in the previous decade,

They didnt actually achieve anything over the last decade - they got together with Max to steal something from McLaren and thats about it

See our F1 related articles too!