FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By LewEngBridewell
Stupid call by merc, Lewis did the right thing but both drivers have the right to be pissed at the team for that.

:yes::yes:
By What's Burning?
there was no need whatsoever for Lewis to move over.

And this is definitely why you and I are watching two different championships :P

Yeah you want Nico to have an easy ride.

Not at all. I just view incidents like today without staring straight up hamilton's @$$.

And how exactly am I staring up Lewis' arse? Were you staring up Rosberg's during Monaco quali?

The fact that you can't understand why lewis would be asked to move over says it all. And no I wasn't staring up anybody's arse in monaco quali, and I wasn't staring up anybody's arse when hamilton parked it in austria quali either

So according to you osberg is the shiat, the better driver, the one cunning enough to put a banker lap in Monaco and the one in the lead but he needs Lewis' help to move over. You're like the Pam Anderson of the Lewis haterz club! Pathetic. :rofl:
By racechick
Merc rethinking their policy after the unfair team orders to Lewis. This is what Toto has said...........

The Mercedes Formula 1 team is to consider a total rethink of how it lets Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg race, following the Hungarian Grand Prix team orders row.

Hamilton's defiance of an order to let Rosberg through highlighted the competitive tensions in the team as its drivers battle for the world championship.

But with Mercedes' non-executive chairman Niki Lauda saying the orders were a mistake and that Hamilton did the right thing, a new approach may be agreed.

So far this year, Rosberg and Hamilton have been allowed to race hard wheel-to-wheel, but they have been banned from choosing radically different race strategies to prevent the kind of situation that emerged in Hungary.

Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff believes that with Mercedes well on course for the constructors' championship, the best thing for the team may be to leave its drivers completely free to do as they wish from now on.

"This is one of the thoughts we are having," admitted Wolff. "Maybe the situation is now different to the bit of paper we had at the beginning of the season.

"At the moment, we have a 170-point advantage in the constructors' championship and maybe it is a moment of loosening it a bit, in agreement with both of them."

Wolff is set to hold talks with both drivers over the summer break, and thinks that the racing protocol terms that were agreed before the start of the season may no longer work because the tensions of the title battle are ramping up.

"The longer the season goes, the more intense it gets, and the more difficult it is to beat your team-mate," said Wolff.

"At the beginning of the season it is easy to say these are the rules and this is how we are going to do it. But now it is clear: these two are fighting for the world championship.

"Maybe we have come to a point where what we had at the beginning of the season doesn't function anymore, because we cannot ask either driver to give up positions or jeopardise their own campaign and championship chances for the benefit of the team."

That was an Autosport article.
By Hammer278
Yeah I read that on espnstar earlier. Anyway, Mercedes is on a tight watch now, their social media pages have been going berzerk over the last two weeks with the admin trying their level best to get people to chill out.

It was a bit funny seeing how many Rosberg fans there are....for every 10 guys crying foul, 1 guy is like "Go Nico!" :hehe:
By geetface9
Merc rethinking their policy after the unfair team orders to Lewis. This is what Toto has said...........

"Maybe we have come to a point where what we had at the beginning of the season doesn't function anymore, because we cannot ask either driver to give up positions or jeopardise their own campaign and championship chances for the benefit of the team."

That was an Autosport article.

That's good they've recognized that. I think they either shouldn't have asked at all or since they did ask then make god $#@! sure that it happened so they at least (possibly) had two drivers on the podium to justify it. I think he's right on the money tho, not asking either driver to give up position for the benefit of the team since they aren't under any threat by another constructor. We'll see what tune they're singing going into the final three races with double points tho cuz that's where some big swaps could happen if they have any reliability issues.
Last edited by geetface9 on 28 Jul 14, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
By geetface9

It was a bit funny seeing how many Rosberg fans there are....for every 10 guys crying foul, 1 guy is like "Go Nico!" :hehe:

It's hard out there for us :hehe:
By Roth
Maybe Hamilton was going on the attitude of stop f@*cking up my quali chances and I'll follow your stupid rules.

There's that part where common sense overides rigid plans. That's all this was. Unlike Vettel he has nothing to answer for. Nico agrees, Niki agrees, Toto agrees. Hamilton has had his sulks but he's never been unreasonable towards Merc. He says the right things at the right time even if it's clearly only for show.
By stonemonkey
Pretty much what I thought, the decision being made with respect to wrapping the constructors up before taking the fact that they're each others biggest competitors into consideration. Good that the management are acknowledging that and are going to deal with it.
Wonder if they'll open up their strategies and let them do what they want.
By racechick
Yep. Credit for making that decision. Like Hammer said their Twitter and Facebook accounts were taking some abuse over the weekend.
By CookinFlat6
I try to look at it from different angles and I still cant see any institutionalised malice at Merc toward Lewis, more like the German speaking Nico having better luck with the facilities at a German team as well as a mananagement catapulted into the sharp end with hardly any experience and in at least one case common sense. This is where Ross is missing, and this is where Toto shows that, like the sutation at Mclaren recently, he doesnt have the experience, personality or command the respect to manage the human and technical resources properly.

In this case I would say Merc had completey underestimated Lewis' abilities and any thought he could win had not been considered. So when Lewis performed much better than Nico, e.g. not getting stuck behind slower cars, the planners were still thinking around recovering Nicos win and didnt notice the obvious - that Lewis could actually win.

If I am correct, then I reckon Lewis will gain a massive advantage, as the team see the performance difference between the two and try to make up to Lewis for the duds he has received recently.

Anyway, even when Lewis starts from the pitlane he can still maximise the situation, as the season gets closer and less points left, this couldbe the biggest factor - who recovers better

So far I wouldnt put any money on Nico recovering from the back without tears being shed
By CookinFlat6
Hamilton revealed on Sunday that, after his qualifying fire, he had lifted his spirits by sharing a pizza, some chocolate and "a prank" with Lauda.

Lauda said Hamilton was right to ignore the team order.

"I would have done exactly the same," said the great Austrian.

"The team was under enormous stress because the race was a very difficult one, there is no question. The call was unnecessary but it was made."

Who would have believed Lauda would turn out to be the 'sensible' and consistent member of the management :drink:
By racechick
Lewis could also have won the race had Mercedes realised it and put Him on a better strategy. It's not Lewis that stopped Rosberg winning, it was Rosberg's inability to overtake and to keep up with Lewis.
By racechick
Hamilton revealed on Sunday that, after his qualifying fire, he had lifted his spirits by sharing a pizza, some chocolate and "a prank" with Lauda.

Lauda said Hamilton was right to ignore the team order.

"I would have done exactly the same," said the great Austrian.

"The team was under enormous stress because the race was a very difficult one, there is no question. The call was unnecessary but it was made."

Who would have believed Lauda would turn out to be the 'sensible' and consistent member of the management :drink:

Lauda is the racer, and he recognises it in Lewis. I also think he has some understanding of Lewis that many miss.
By What's Burning?
Some of the blame goes toward the mechanics on Lewis' side of the garage too. :hehe:

He better call Jenson up and find out how to sweet talk them a little, maybe it would help. A BBQ, an outing for their families at Euro Disney?

See our F1 related articles too!