FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By Hammer278
I have to admit 80% of the Merc road car models out there just don't do it for me. Even though I try to like them.
By What's Burning?
I'm already planning on buying a C400 when the 2016 lease returns start popping up.
By Hammer278
Statistically according to races/Championships contested, I believe Merc is currently the 2nd most successful team after Brawn...and RB a close third. :hehe:
By LRW
I have to admit 80% of the Merc road car models out there just don't do it for me. Even though I try to like them.

You obviously know nothing.

;):D

I'd just like to stay that I'm happy Mercedes and its two drivers really kicked butt this season. Couldn't of happened to a nicer team. :)
By LRW

This does it for me.....

Brm Brm.
By CookinFlat6
Statistically according to races/Championships contested, I believe Merc is currently the 2nd most successful team after Brawn...and RB a close third. :hehe:

Makes sense as Brawn was effectively a Merc works team in waiting, the B team. Merc as engine provider and as works teams have had more success in the time they have participated than Ferrari probably have in a few decades of their own bumbling participation
By racechick

Makes sense as Brawn was effectively a Merc works team in waiting, the B team. Merc as engine provider and as works teams have had more success in the time they have participated than Ferrari probably have in a few decades of their own bumbling participation

But hang on Mr ' enjoys coming' man is going to jump back in bed with the FIA. All might change. :thumbup:
By Hammer278

But hang on Mr ' enjoys coming' man is going to jump back in bed with the FIA. All might change. :thumbup:

huh what?? :eek:

Meanwhile, Horner depresses all non-Merc fans further:

Horner expects Mercedes to extend advantage in 2015

Christian Horner is worried Mercedes will extend its gap to the rest of the field next year and believes Red Bull's engine supplier Renault will do well just to catch up with this year's iteration of the Mercedes power unit.

Out in the cold

Red Bull and Ferrari have argued for a 'thaw' in the regulations which currently prevent in-season development after engine homologation at the start of the year. Meanwhile, Mercedes argue that lifting the engine freeze would result in increased costs at a time when F1 is already overspending. With both sides putting their own interests first, an agreement seems impossible for next year, which has pushed the debate towards 2016. The 2016 regulations are not yet set and therefore only need a majority agreement to bring about significant change. As a result, Horner is now pushing for simplified versions of the current V6 turbos in two years' time, which he claims would cut costs and level the playing field.

In the first season of the new V6 turbo power units, Mercedes dominated the sport with 16 wins from 19 races and both drivers' and constructors' titles. Much of its success stemmed from the design of its power unit and Horner has led a push to lift the in-season development freeze on engines to allow rival manufacturers another opportunity to catch up.

Over the close season the manufacturers are allowed to spend a limited amount of 'tokens' to modify their power units, but Horner - who is currently at loggerheads with Mercedes over lifting the freeze - has warned that his rivals will only pull away.

"We are not writing off next year, but for sure the gap that there is, and with the performance gains that Mercedes are bringing next year, it's going to be a massive challenge to reduce that," he said. "If you believe the numbers that are floating around, the gap could grow rather than diminish. That would be rather depressing if that were the case."

Asked what he expected of Renault, Horner added: "They can make an in-road but I think it would be unlikely to match this year's engine. I think they can get closer to it but of course Mercedes aren't going to stand still. I think Ferrari are probably in a very similar situation. That's very tough when the engines are frozen at the end of February."

This does it for me.....

Brm Brm.

Well I did say 80%. :scratchchin:
By sagi58

It's a play on Arrivabene's name and the insinuation that his acquaintance with Ecclestone is going benefit Ferrari.
By racechick

It's a play on Arrivabene's name and the insinuation that his acquaintance with Ecclestone is going benefit Ferrari.

Oh it's no insinuation. Ferrari have come right out and said they need a guy who can influence the way F1 is run ..........paraphrase, get back in bed with the FIA. Apparantly M&M man had integrity, that didn't sit well.

Sagi if Ferrari change their team principals every six months Im afraid I can't keep up with the names, and I'm not googling it every time.
By sagi58

Oh it's no insinuation. Ferrari have come right out and said they need a guy who can influence the way F1 is run ..........paraphrase, get back in bed with the FIA. Apparantly M&M man had integrity, that didn't sit well.

Sagi if Ferrari change their team principals every six months Im afraid I can't keep up with the names, and I'm not googling it every time.

Being part of the discussion and decision-making process that will work for most teams in F1 is not the same thing as "being in bed" to benefit only Ferrari. That's an insinuation.

As is insinuating that Mattiacci left because he had integrity.

As for Arrivabene's name, it doesn't mean "enjoys coming"... loosely translated it means "comes prepared".
The former has a sexual connotation, whereas the latter suggests one who knows what they're doing.
By What's Burning?
So you think that Ferrari's use of a thermal camera over the Mercedes pit box was to benefit most teams too? A wonderful year, I think Ferrari have made it very clear, we can't beat you in the design room, we'll beat you in the back room where our man's already got an office in the FiA.
By sagi58
So you think that Ferrari's use of a thermal camera over the Mercedes pit box was to benefit most teams too? A wonderful year, I think Ferrari have made it very clear, we can't beat you in the design room, we'll beat you in the back room where our man's already got an office in the FiA.

Let the conspiracy theories begin!! :rolleyes:

To answer your question, you've already got your mind made up, so there isn't anything I can say that will change it.
But, I will ask you a question.

So you think Mercedes is refusing to budge on the in-season development because they have the best interests of the sport and other teams in their hearts?

Or that Mercedes is being altruistic in saying they want to keep costs from spiralling out of control causing further hardship on the smaller teams?

If you look hard enough, you might find a couple of conspiracies in their backyard, after all didn't they threaten to leave F1 if they had to revert back to the old engine specs?
By What's Burning?
So you think Mercedes is refusing to budge on the in-season development because they have the best interests of the sport and other teams in their hearts?

No of course not, only an idiot would be so blind as to say their team can do no wrong. In this case Mercedes is in the right to hold steady to rules that Ferrari and Renault agreed to due to the spiraling out of control costs.

Or that Mercedes is being altruistic in saying they want to keep costs from spiraling out of control causing further hardship on the smaller teams?

Well yes, because Mercedes sell the cheapest engine by a long shot to their customer teams. Not that this means anything to you since it's been repeated over and over again but you don't factor that into the way the world works in the cuckooria lounge where Ferrari can do no wrong.

If you look hard enough, you might find a couple of conspiracies in their backyard, after all didn't they threaten to leave F1 if they had to revert back to the old engine specs?

Awww... You poor misinformed thing... you take a quote I used to beat up on Horner in the Red Bull support thread to actually mean what Horner the guy with the flappy wings had suggested? :headpat: Here's what Toto actually said this week so the sourpuss doesn't always have to be on your face when speaking about Mercedes. Doesn't sound like Mercedes is leaving the sport any time soon does it?

Wolff says that every indication he has from Red Bull's engine supplier Renault is that the French company is happy with the current engine format - even though it would like freeze restrictions relaxed.

And he says that discussions with Ferrari earlier this week at the Strategy Group pointed to the Italian manufacturer being equally behind the V6 hybrid engines.

"I think Ferrari is very committed to the current engine format, and it's clear for all of us that short term we shouldn't be erratic," he said.
"We shouldn't take any decisions that will destabilise Formula 1 and destabilise potential new entries such as Honda or others.
"We need to look at the long-term perspective and how we can optimise the sport.
"There were some very sensible discussions, very refreshing and direct views from Ferrari, and the meeting made all the sense in the world."

See our F1 related articles too!