FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By racechick
It seems there's conflicting information about Alonso. Mclaren are saying he's fine. Yet he's in intensive care and will remain in hospital for further checks until Monday. Maybe just precautionary.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31585149
By Hammer278
12:35 not sure if that was the time or lap time

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

LOL
By stonemonkey
Ouch! :(

Wondering if he's also suffering whiplash?

Only for insurance purposes and some time off work.

It seems there's conflicting information about Alonso. Mclaren are saying he's fine. Yet he's in intensive care and will remain in hospital for further checks until Monday. Maybe just precautionary.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31585149

Yeah I think its just precautionary for the concussion, maybe taking some extra care after events of head injuries recently.
By CookinFlat6
Apparently McLaren have now stated that there was no mechanical fault, presumably that means no electrical or other issues as well.

One thing you gotta say about the Spaniard is that he gives his all and like Lewis wears his heart on his sleeve on track in a way
By Hammer278
I just woke from an afternoon nap earlier, and dreamed Alonso was reported to have suddenly died due to internal injuries. :yikes:

And Ron Dennis was under serious fire for trying to pass off his crash as if nothing happened.
By What's Burning?
I just woke from an afternoon nap earlier, and dreamed Alonso was reported to have suddenly died due to internal injuries. :yikes:

And Ron Dennis was under serious fire for trying to pass off his crash as if nothing happened.

In your dream was Jenson struggling for rear grip?
By racechick
:gagged: coffee just spurted out, sorry :blush:
By Hammer278
In my dream Jenson was sitting next to me on a bus and suddenly fell off the seat, screaming about the lack of grip! :D
By zurich_allan
Be very interesting to see the Button / Magnusson dynamic in Melbourne (and Malaysia if Alonso still isn't medically cleared by then). If Kevin were to out qualify and / or race Jenson, where would that leave Jenson for the eventual inter team battle with Fernando? On the other hand, if McLaren / Honda can spring a surprise and Jenson can get a few points on the board, with his consist ability to bring home the car in the points, how long might it take for Alonso to overhaul him? It all makes for an interesting first few races at McLaren!! :)
By myownalias
It's pretty certain that Merc will run away with the title once again in 2015 baring mech issues, but McLaren are the interesting one of the field. I tend to not to read too much into testing times as often teams are as the event suggests, testing new parts etc, so we could see a significant shake up when we go racing in anger. I am hoping for a top six car for Jenson and Fernando/Kevin to keep Honda interested, I kinda don't expect Honda to stick around long term if reasonable results don't come. But, yes Allan, the dynamic will be interesting, JB seems to be a slow burner based on recent years while Kevin is more gung-ho attacking type of driver, so it will certainly be interesting with Kevin wanting to prove his worth while Fernando is out!
By sagi58
 wrote:">Exclusive analysis - McLaren-Honda power unit layout

McLaren and Honda endured a fragmented pre-season test programme, with mechanical issues meaning they spent more time in the garage than they did on track. However, the newly-reunited partners are determined to get on top of their early problems, and once they do their unique power unit layout could pay dividends. We take an exclusive look under the skin of the MP4-30…

Before their return to F1 racing with McLaren this year, there was plenty of speculation about how Honda would choose to lay out their new RA615H power unit.

The assumption was that the Japanese company would follow Mercedes’ ultra-successful approach of positioning the compressor (highlighted in blue) and turbo (highlighted in red) at either ends of the internal combustion engine with the MGU-H (upper green component) in the middle.

The big advantage of this layout, as opposed to the approach used by Renault and Ferrari - who chose to put the compressor and turbo next to each other and the MGU-H at the rear of the engine - was that it reduced the unit’s cooling requirement whilst improving overall efficiency.

Honda, however, have chosen to follow a different approach to all three manufacturers, positioning the MGU-H between the compressor and turbo at the rear of the engine, and the MGU-K at the front. Whether this unique solution proves to be an ace up McLaren’s sleeve, or indeed something of a hindrance, remains to be seen.
By sagi58
 wrote:">Feature: Why 2015 is a big year for...

In the fast-paced world of Formula 1, each race, and every season, counts. Ahead of this weekend's season-opening Australian Grand Prix, GPUpdate.net looks at why 2015 is important for those competing.

McLaren

Just where McLaren-Honda will slot in among the competitive order in 2015 remains guesswork but this is a massive year for both parties. Firstly, McLaren requires a vast improvement to its chassis after two cars best described as 'challenging'. The acquisition of Peter Prodromou should help and the drivers were positive over the car's potential, albeit hidden by recurring issues.

For Honda, it has to prove that it can compete in the sport after walking away in 2008 after several uncompetitive campaigns; however, Honda's pre-season testing campaign was more akin to Renault's in 2014 than that enjoyed by Mercedes. Both parties are adamant that they will win, and consequently face embarrassment if the project is anything but a meteoric success. The early races, on current judgement, may be a chastening experience. How Honda fares may also give manufacturers pondering an F1 entry whether it is worth joining the sport, so its progress will be closely tracked.

Fernando Alonso has little to prove as a driver but on a personal level he'd dearly love to achieve long-term success with McLaren after his tumultuous 2007 campaign and years of being unable to take a title with Ferrari, despite his best efforts. His heavy crash during testing, though, scuppered his pre-season and he will be absent from Australia. Jenson Button remains a fine racing driver and ambassador for the sport; but few would expect him to consistently take it to Alonso, therefore he has little to lose. It may not be a big year for Kevin Magnussen, but perhaps just a big race this weekend – if he performs solidly, or out-races Button, people will sit up and take notice.

Imagethe other teams on the grid

See our F1 related articles too!