FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By Big Azza
BA - I think you should go with Williams. Everyone likes Williams.

Haha, no I don't really like Massa.

Alonso, on the other hand, has in my opinion been the best driver on the grid since 2012. He's always been very good, and I was not watching F1 during his championship years or his year at McLaren. If you count how close he came in 2007, 2010 and 2012 he could have been a 5 time World Champion by now, and would be the most thoroughly deserving 5-time champion.

At times he's been a arch-nemesis during my years supporting Vettel. And he has done some things that have left a very sour taste in my mouth.

The other day someone walked into my office wearing a Ferrari shirt and I shuddered. I realize that I will never EVER support Ferrari. So now with Vettel going to that team, and Alonso leaving them, can I put the past behind me and support Alonso? We'll see.

Also I have been really impressed with Button, especially since 2011. So seeing that team on paper, it really tickles my pickle. ;-)
By Hammer278

At times he's been a arch-nemesis during my years supporting Vettel. And he has done some things that have left a very sour taste in my mouth.

The other day someone walked into my office wearing a Ferrari shirt and I shuddered. I realize that I will never EVER support Ferrari. So now with Vettel going to that team, and Alonso leaving them, can I put the past behind me and support Alonso? We'll see.

Quoting the part of your post which I could take seriously, I might be able to offer some advise. Simply because I was in a very similar situation when Kimi left McLaren to that hellhole. I found myself still supporting Kimi and hoping for the other car to falter/break at every race. :hehe: This isn't supporting the team, its supporting 1 car. And I got used to it very quickly, since I felt like 'Team Kimi' at Ferrari.

Maybe you might want to stick to your guns and support the driver who you think is bloody good. :hehe: Instead of just switching around like a fair weather supporter. Btw you did say you enjoy watching qualifying mroe than the races? Why not just take the qualifying head to head between Kimi and Seb seriously, and just not tune into races?

You're welcome. :D
By Frontrunner
Just went on a f1 site and surprise surprise. finally its official, about freakin time. Anyway glad they picked JB, I think Mags didn't really show enough during his rookie season for my liking to bump JB out of a seat so I think McLaren made the right call IMO.
By What's Burning?
Is it going to be okay to say McHonda or will that be considered offensive? I think this thread will be more active next year.
By CookinFlat6
Is it going to be okay to say McHonda or will that be considered offensive? I think this thread will be more active next year.

HoLaren could be a good one, or even HoeLaren if you were thinking of rapping
By Hammer278
If Honda do not live up to expectations, McTooned could make a comeback.
By CookinFlat6
McLooned more like

I think we can safely forget about cartoons while Ron is in charge
By 1Lemon
BA - I think you should go with Williams. Everyone likes Williams.

Unless you're Schumacher, then you just can't help but DRIVE INTO THEM!
By CookinFlat6
McLaren chairman Ron Dennis is trying to take back control of the McLaren Group.
The 67-year-old has agreed with his fellow shareholders a price at which he could take a majority shareholding if he can raise the necessary money.
Dennis owns 25% of the McLaren Group, long-time partner Mansour Ojjeh 25% and the Bahraini royal family's Mumtalakat investment fund the remaining 50%.

A McLaren spokesman said: "No transaction has taken place, but the shareholders have had discussions on how to best facilitate and enhance the future growth of the McLaren Group.
"When and if a transaction takes place, it is not envisioned that the current shareholders will exit McLaren completely, and announcements would be made at the appropriate time."
Dennis has not yet raised the money required to buy the shares he would need to take his holding past 50%, and the other shareholders are not obliged to sell if he does.
McLaren refused to say how much Dennis needed to raise, but the company is said to be worth about £1bn so he would require at least £250m.
BBC Sport has learned the Bahrainis want to remain involved in McLaren, contrary to speculation.

It is widely known within F1 that there has been tension at board level at McLaren in recent months following the deterioration of the relationship between Dennis and Ojjeh.
The two joined forces in McLaren in the early 1980s and have been business partners ever since.
But they have been at loggerheads recently over professional and personal issues.
Ojjeh, 62, has been back to health since the summer after surviving two double lung transplants over the winter of 2013-14.

Sounds like his option has lapsed but he kept them all happy in the end. So he stays as CEO and can make another offer later
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:

Both McLaren and Sauber have announced in recent weeks that their 2015 chassis have passed mandatory FIA crash tests.

McLaren is preparing for the return of Honda next year, but has also overhauled its chassis and aerodynamic teams in an attempt to stop the rot that has seen it fail to win a race since 2012. At its recent driver announcement of Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button, team boss Ron Dennis said good progress had been made on the chassis side and aerodynamically the team had benefitted from running some new parts during practice for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

"On the car side, we have just gone through all our crash tests, we are well ahead on programme and the critical test in Abu Dhabi absolutely gave us true north in terms of where we need to go aerodynamically," he said. "Recently [chief designer] Peter Prodromou has joined the company and has been absolutely fundamental in determining what true north is aerodynamically.

"Clearly when that compass heading stabilises it gives you a clear indication that the direction you were going in is completely wrong and of course that manifests itself as an uncompetitive car. Ultimately, I think we are well equipped and the key ingredient to optimise the car-chassis performance is possibly the best driver line-up that's ever existed in Formula One."

On Thursday Sauber also confirmed its 2015 car had passed its chassis crash tests, a positive step after the team made no secret of its financial struggles last year.

Really? No way! Ron seems to already be drooling over FA/JB and going blind from it :twisted:
By What's Burning?
It took him that long to decide on what he's now calling the best driver pairing in F1... precious. :headpat:

Stop the rot.... that sounds as if it could be the rallying cry of 2015.
By racechick
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Best driver line up??? He means oldest I think.
By CookinFlat6
Such a top notch partnership he preferred a rookie over the fire sale half of this dream team. But what would anyone expect from Ron? if he keeps saying that Honda might stop sniggering

It’s unlikely that, if the team finds itself winning in 2016/17, Dennis will make the same mistake again of not backing his best driver at the right moment to take the title.

Alonso walked in to the hall today like a Number 1, with Button strolling in behind. Alonso was invited to the stage first of the drivers and he spoke first. His name and quotes appeared first in the team press release, he even went as far as to say that he had given his “opinion” to the team to hire Button, stopping short of saying any more about his rights. In Button he has a team mate who doesn’t get emotional about not winning. That’s important for Alonso. On paper you would say he will beat Button in points and results over a season. But you admire Button for giving himself that challenge, as he did with Hamilton from 2010 to 2012.

But Ron will be relishing the chance of playing these 2 against each other, probably why he kept Button over Mags, What I reffered to before as Ron not believing in using vaseline when it comes to employees not bleeding for the team, Bernie expresses it a bit more gently

Ecclestone says: “When Flavio [Briatore] stuck a knife in my back, he charmed me and said, ‘It’s good for you to let out some blood.’

“But when Ron puts the knife in, he wants you to know that he’s in charge and he’s killed you.”

See our F1 related articles too!