FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By What's Burning?
Sniff Petrol McLaren has announced that Sam Michael is to step down as sporting director at the end of the season because the team is now ‘more than crap enough’.

‘Before we brought Sam on board we were dangerously close to winning world championships,’ admitted a Woking insider. ‘Thankfully, with his experience of making Williams completely rubbish, we were able to become the disappointing team we are today with a level of mediocrity we could only get from Sam. Or perhaps a Peugeot engine.’

‘We are delighted with the soul-crushing dismalness we have achieved and that’s why it’s the right time for Sam to leave his role as sporking director,’ explained another high ranking source. ‘Of course, we are aware of what happened at Williams after Sam left. They became quite good. But hopefully our new Honda engine won’t work properly and we’ll be able to maintain this level of depressingly poor performance in his absence.’

‘We are sorry to see Sam Michael leave his role as spurting director,’ said an official McLaren statement. ‘In particular, team personnel will miss their regular games of trying to guess what the f*** he actually does around here’.
By Hammer278
Sniff Petrol McLaren has announced that Sam Michael is to step down as sporting director at the end of the season because the team is now ‘more than crap enough’.

‘Before we brought Sam on board we were dangerously close to winning world championships,’ admitted a Woking insider. ‘Thankfully, with his experience of making Williams completely rubbish, we were able to become the disappointing team we are today with a level of mediocrity we could only get from Sam. Or perhaps a Peugeot engine.’

‘We are delighted with the soul-crushing dismalness we have achieved and that’s why it’s the right time for Sam to leave his role as sporking director,’ explained another high ranking source. ‘Of course, we are aware of what happened at Williams after Sam left. They became quite good. But hopefully our new Honda engine won’t work properly and we’ll be able to maintain this level of depressingly poor performance in his absence.’

‘We are sorry to see Sam Michael leave his role as spurting director,’ said an official McLaren statement. ‘In particular, team personnel will miss their regular games of trying to guess what the f*** he actually does around here’.

By racechick

:clap::clap: those sniffpetrol guys come up with some gems!!
By myownalias
The thing is Myown, many of the people you say are not McLaren fans were strong McLaren fans (and not only because of Lewis) before the Whitmarsh fiasco. It's just they could see the writing in the wall and hated what they saw. I bet you the majority will be vocally supporting McLaren as they return to the place they should be, fighting at the front.

This sounds like the exact definition of a glory hunter, only following a team when the going is good!

One other point on this that niggles. The way the resources were placed behind Button at the expense of Lewis. A team wouldn't do that on the say so and politicking of the driver. But if the boss told them they had to, then they'd have to. I've read recently, on this topic, that they had Lewis, who could drive round anything and Button , with his narrow window of operation. So they designed the car for Button knowing Lewis would cope. This would be a slower car . And this doesn't sit well with the comments Paddy made about designing a car round Lewis before he was even in F1 ' he just got in the car and drove it ,fast, while the regular drivers were bitching it was undrivable, it gave us the opportunity to design a faster car' . And what did Paddy do. He left.

Wouldn't you say this is a similar situation to Hakkinen/Coulthard; where Hakkinen was clearly favoured by Ron Dennis, no-one minded that though! I see this as no different to the Button/Hamilton situation in the eyes of Martin Whitmarsh. I don't see that Button did anything wrong, he built the team around himself, much like Schumacher did at Ferrari, at the end of the day, Lewis was naive and couldn't play the political game as well as Button!

Cookin' you're taking it to extremes, you don't need to kiss any teams bottom; but this SUPPORT thread is nothing of the sort, I see very little support going on, it's the same circular Button is a duck, Whitmarsh is a terrible TP, the sun shines out of RD's bottom, my mother once said "if you have nothing nice to say, shut the f**k up"
By racechick
Not glory hunters Myown, glory hunters move from team to team choosing each time the one that's winning. It wasn't the losing, that upset so many McLaren fans, it was watching their team be destroyed from the inside. Already people are offering back support to McLaren but they're not winning, they're the worst Merc engined team on the grid..ish. The support is coming because the people who ripped it apart are leaving.

No,I don't think it's like Hakkinen and Coulthard. Hakkinen was the better driver. if you have to make a decision on car design, common sense says it goes in the direction of the faster driver. What happened at Ferrari with the favouring of Schumacher was way over the top, even if he was the better driver.

I didn't blame Jenson. I said the fault lay with the team manager. But you know, look where all that politicking ultimately got Button. TP that fell for it ( or orchestrated it) banished. Race team, worst results for ages and ages. Button , likely out of F1. And Lewis' naivity , look where that's got him :D
By CookinFlat6
Wouldn't you say this is a similar situation to Hakkinen/Coulthard; where Hakkinen was clearly favoured by Ron Dennis, no-one minded that though! I see this as no different to the Button/Hamilton situation in the eyes of Martin Whitmarsh. I don't see that Button did anything wrong, he built the team around himself, much like Schumacher did at Ferrari, at the end of the day, Lewis was naive and couldn't play the political game as well as Button!

:doh: I seem to remember the situation with Mika/Coulthard yielded TWO WDCS - i.e IT WAS SUCCESSFUL and therefore the right thing to do. Or maybe supporting McLaren is not about winning :confused:
I dont see Button did anything wrong?? So losing like its going out of fashion is good?? The team havent won jack since Lewis left, yet you are really serious about claiming thats ok and comparable to winning 2 years in a row??
Button built the team around him like MS did he, he has cleverly hidden those 5 WDCs
Lewis didnt play as well as :duckie: and thats why he is in a 3 sec car on the third highest amount of wins in a season whilst Button is explaining that his grip and balance mysteriously disappeared as he was about to break his own record
I have a feeling that if Ron could pick his teams fans you would get de-consumerised so quickly it would make Buttons ability to invent an excuse look like a Phd research project into the time taken for the transformation of coal into diamond

And you even said Ron wouldnt be much better than the other guy that disturbed you, as Ron had good years AND bad ones :rofl:

Mclaren needs to get its old fans back - those who expected to see a team with unprecedented drive and ambition rise from a garage to smack Ferrari round the face

Also, its interesting you were so quick to call RC a glory hunter even after she explained she was a driver follower and not a team follower - is this the old 'holier than thou' from a 'loyal McLaren supporter' who does not even know that Ron tried to eject the other guy for over 2 years

The hypocrisy and sheer shallowness just amazes me in those who are always better than others except when they are actually doing the same thing and doing it pathetically, next you will want your own silver lounge to be able to talk about good things you dont even really know about
By myownalias
Cookin' you can believe what you want about me; you don't know me and what is said on an internet forum does not affect my life in any way. But let's get this clear, I did not call RC a glory hunter, I said; and I quote "This sounds like the exact definition of a glory hunter, only following a team when the going is good!" - I leveled the statement against no particular person. In fact I respect RC's opinion, even if I don't always agree with her view. What I don't like is when a person bashes a driver/team over and over and over because they have managed to get under their skin for whatever reason.
By Hammer278
Cookin' you can believe what you want about me; you don't know me and what is said on an internet forum does not affect my life in any way. But let's get this clear, I did not call RC a glory hunter, I said; and I quote "This sounds like the exact definition of a glory hunter, only following a team when the going is good!" - I leveled the statement against no particular person. In fact I respect RC's opinion, even if I don't always agree with her view. What I don't like is when a person bashes a driver/team over and over and over because they have managed to get under their skin for whatever reason.

Not all of us here are Tifosis where no matter what sort of stupid decisions a team makes, we stand by their idiotic decision making and bleat "this team is the best and perfect in every way".

If you were working in a corporation and the MD or CEO was replaced by a moron and he started making dumb decisions which affected your day to the point where you felt it was never worth it, would you leave or stay? If so, why would it be any different for any of us fans of the sport who would like to see the best team/driver combo show what they have? Instead of seeing a former sharp end team perform like a bunch of ducks and in the process, waste the time of one of the best drivers on the grid today.

Glory hunting is supporting whoever is winning. This would mean McLaren fans jumping over to Redbull the past few years and putting McLaren down, laughing and mocking them and then now moving over to Mercedes.

NONE of the Lewis fans here supported Redbull for a second. They moved with the driver to a team which seemed to know its stuff. This is not glory hunting in any manner, and RCs definition was NOT the definition of glory hunting since Lewis fans had no real glory the past 5 years. We still supported him in McLaren till he left the team, and a few of us were wishing for him to jump ship to a lower team (Mercedes) in order to have a chance for the future. Glory hunting? Know your definitions, please.
By CookinFlat6
The definition of support as a state of mind or as a philosophy seems to have leaked out of the (originally the Alphista singularity) Tifosi and is not contaminating other areas.

Support in sports is normally a physical act that involves buying things, paying to watch and audibly cheering and boosting one particular team. This is needed in football, baseball, rugby, etc etc, when the entity depends on its supporters when it plays at home etc

In Motor racing since its dawn there was no team support - one supported the sportsmen - the drivers, because when you go to the race you are financially supporting ALL the teams by buying a ticket. There were no Mercedes or Auto Union followers beyond the employees and the supporters of its drivers.

It was the Alpha Romeo team that first grew a fan base that loved the un German verve of the team and cars. Ferrari bought his engines from Alpha and when Alpha dies he highjacked the whole 'rabid car lover' concept and turned it into Tifosi - and formally decalred Ferrari was about the TEAM not the drivers

And thats why today the only real team support is for Ferrari because thats how Enzo built up the unique myth and marketed the road cars to the hairdressers and pop stars

So anyone today who turns up calling himself a loyal fan, yet never posts anything because he doensnt know anything beyond the red top headlines - 'Button is popular in Japan, Honda want to keep him' - 'Ron has lost many years and is nothing special compared to the last guy' and 'Ron was pulling strings thats why IT WAS SO EASY TO OUST the disturbed guy ( :rofl: ) - Its hard to keep a straight face.

I love fast racing - F1 is just the top series, I like teams who like to win and most importantly - pick the best drivers - I have watched F1 races in countries far from home, and I support drivers - happens Ron and McLaren have somehow ALWAYS been the only team IMHO to do this - doesnt mean I will blindly say 'my team is this' without knowing any facts or detail - what kind of support would that be? If you have been to many different races and spent money on merchandise for a particular team, you could be deemed a supporter - but doesnt mean you will blindly ignore the truth or facts on a forum because its YOUR 'team'

Thats the definition of lipstick support - 'oh they sound good, although I cant be bothered to learn about them'

Anyways we are back to the old iheartkimmi types - turn up to complain 'their' team is been denigrated, but never post anything factual themselves or anything at all to counter it, instead try potshots at what they think is your fave team/driver and are pretty useless at doing even that

instead its all jumped up indignation and contempt that someone is picking on a person in 'their team' but they are just preparing the ground to pick on someone else instead in the same or another team - then start crying about been forced to read repetitive bickering or pointing out the wrong - and they dont see the irony in that been their only contribution to their own 'support' thread

lets await the usual melons to complain about long posts and repeating the same thing :hooli-popcorn:
By peta23fromEssex
Anyways we are back to the old iheartkimmi types - turn up to complain 'their' team is been denigrated, but never post factual themselves or anything at all to counter it, instead try potshots at what they think is your fave team/driver and are pretty useless at doing even that.

The above is a quote from Cookinflat6

Just what type do you think I am Cookin? I have been a McLaren fan and F1 follower since the early 80's. I have been to several GP's and have sat beside, had a drink with and bantered with many fans who did not agree with me and my choice of team and drivers. It is only here, that I feel I have to defend my choices, especially on a Support Thread. Honestly, I agree Martin Whitmarsh was terrible, but the constant referencing to 'disturbingly good looking' and the duck smiley is puerile and extremely annoying.

Anyway, you have at it Cookin, you and your cronies are doing fine, I will continue to watch, enjoy and discuss the races with people who are not so blinkered.... Then I will come back here just so you have someone to moan about. :drink:
By Hammer278
Looks like this forum is full of 'cronies'. At least WBs 'cronies' seem to have "won". :scratchchin:

Hey peta aka IheartKimmi aka Ihatethisforum, do you need a 1 on 1 tuition on how to quote posts here? Am willing to assist.
By CookinFlat6
By all accounts, seems like Alonso has finally buckled to Rons negotiating prowess and accepted a 2 year tie. The sooner its settled and announced the sooner the team can focus completely on 2015

The only shame is that RoGro wont be able to stand in for Alonso now he has agreed
By CookinFlat6
Ok first reports of actual signed contracts and wage details - from a Spanish media outlet, so to be taken with a big pinch of salt, however its absolutely no different to what we accept about Sebs Ferrari contract.

Spain's AS newspaper clams it's a done deal and the two-time World Champion has agreed a two-year contract with McLaren that will be the "biggest in Formula 1 history".

So the 'biggest in history' would have to be upward of 50 mil a year that Seb is 'apparently' on. Interestingly that number of 50mill originally appeared when we were told Alonso asked Ferrari for that to stay. So the chances are that all these salary numbers are entirely extrapolation by the media. However it does indeed sound like the deal is finally signed as the salary number wpuld be the first thing leaked by either party to try and save face/make a statement etc etc.

What a carry on, I hope Honda get their money as far as media interest and public perception that they are a top team as they have a top driver, and hopefully the realisation by Alonso that the only way he will retire with more than 2 WDCs is to bleed for McLaren twice as much as he did for Ferrari especially as he is starting with a better car

Could be a win win for both parties, or could be a disaster for Alonso, while Honda get the publicity and McLaren get the driver wringing every last drop every race

See our F1 related articles too!