FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By racechick
I'm a smoooooooth operator, a smoooooooooth operator.

Ok guys, hands up. I'm Button. And now my covers blown.

Incidentally. I have some of you guys under strict observation! 8-)
By What's Burning?
Look what I just spied with my little eye at the McLaren Technology Center. :D

By What's Burning?
Rumor has it that "beetle" has a the same Tag Porsche F1 turbo engine from McLaren's 85 championship season with Prost. :whip:
By What's Burning?
The internet is a wonderful thing... a little more digging. :D

The TAG Turbo 911

Despite all of the priceless racing cars on display, the car that caught my attention the most was one that I wasn't sure even existed until I saw it parked by the window. At first glance, it looked like a perfectly ordinary 1980s Porsche 911, albeit in time-warp mint condition. As I walked around the car, though, there were clues that this car was something a bit special. A set of lovely five-spoke RUF wheels, a big green 'Start' button in the centre console, and, oh yes, a pair of stinking great intercoolers sticking out of the engine compartment at the rear.

This was a unicorn car, one whose existence was previously only a rumour; a Porsche 911 fitted with a 1.5l V6 TAG Turbo Formula 1 engine where there should ordinarily be a regular Porsche flat six. Built as a testbed for the Porsche-developed, TAG-funded turbo engine that powered McLaren's F1 cars in the mid-80s, this unique Porsche has spent much of its life in a McLaren storage facility. It was a real treat to see it out on display, and fascinating to marvel at how neatly the F1 engine nestled in the 911's engine bay. Ignoring the signs warning that photography inside the boulevard wasn't permitted, I discreetly took a few shots of the Porsche, just to prove something so incredible as an F1-engined 911 really does exist.

http://www.drivecult.com/features/a-vis ... ogy-centre
By CookinFlat6
Fantastic bit of history :thumbup: I think its hard today for most to appreciate the robustness, flexibility and complete dominance of the 911 vs the flaky rusting 'exotics' of the time that yu could drive fast cos you couldnt even see out the thing and even if you were able to drive fast you hard to ship it to Maranello for a complete overhaul right afterwards

And then the unparalleled coup that Ron pulled off to get someone else to pay for a bespoke Porsche power unit that kicked butt straight off the bat.

And thats the beauty of it all, the most astonishing mechanical contraption known to man just sits there mean and effective without having to scream to the hairdressers with go faster stripes and wings and the other repertoire of tacky crap that that slows the car down and you gotta pay a fortune for

I wonder if Ruf had a hand or it was just McLaren. Only problem is you would have to start in 5th gear in that car :hehe:
By CookinFlat6
RoGro says "everyone" is waiting for Alonso to decide.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/9456076/Grosjean-Everyone-is-waiting-on-Alonso

reading between the lines its obvious he means he is waiting to see if Alonso moves from ferrari before his own seat is confirmed. This can only mean he has an agreement in place to move to Mclaren if they dont get Alonso

What would be the odds on him going to McLaren just as Lotus get the improved Merc lump and Mclaren get the 2015 equivalent of the 2014 Renault. I dont think there is a chance that Honda can begin with a PU anywhere near the 2015 revised Merc
By CookinFlat6
Yeah that was the implication in the article that he is talking to Ferrari, but my point was that it could be a smokescreen for a move to Mac. He seemed to be sure he knows where he is going once Alonso decides - if the Ferrari seat becomes open surely they would not confirm fat roman john without entertaining other drivers first
By Hammer278
The way Lewis and Fonzi are almost making out in press conferences nowadays (seriously) I get the feeling there might be some big shifts in the market.

If Merc love affair with Rosberg continues, maybe Lewis and Fonzi back at McLaren, Grosjean to Mercedes :yikes: , Vettel to Ferrari, Bottas/Hulk to Redbull.
By LewEngBridewell
If one of McLaren's drivers were to be dropped this season, which of them is it more likely to be?

There's been much talk of Jenson Button possibly retiring, even from the man himself, and I personally have enjoyed watching Kevin Magnussen this season. Yes, points have been lost through incidents, including the first corner at Hockenheim and also last race in Spa, but I feel Kevin still has a lot to show yet.

Any thoughts?
By What's Burning?
Button is going to have more time for triathlons next year. Mags and Grosjean paired up.
By racechick
Mags is the future. Button nothing special and old. Grosjean was always a possibility with Boulier being at McLaren. I think it would be a good pairing. Better than mags and Alonso....pairing wise that is.

See our F1 related articles too!