FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By What's Burning?
The car looks good, but there's a lot of empty space, no Santander either.
By sagi58
Apparently...
 wrote:">Boullier: McLaren can survive without title sponsor

Jan.8- Team boss Eric Boullier says McLaren can survive without a title sponsor.

The Woking team lost its title backer Vodafone at the end of 2013, and raced throughout last season without naming a replacement.

And now as the new works Honda era dawns, Boullier has been quoted by Russia's f1news.ru as saying McLaren is still not desperate for a title sponsor.

"Even without a title sponsor, McLaren is profitable," the Frenchman said.

"Therefore, we are not in a hurry to announce a title sponsor, as we want to make the right choice. It should correspond to the level of the team," Boullier added.

By CookinFlat6
The car looks good, but there's a lot of empty space, no Santander either.

Its very sigificant that Santandar have no involvement at all in the Alonso move. Confirmation that the new regime after Botin died are out of F1 as soon as they can. And seeing as his daughter took over and has not been slow to sack some of his old guard and change top execs, we can safely say bye bye to Santander F1 sponsorship.

Interesting that we can see the CNN one even in the advert, lets face it McLaren are massively low on sponsors, lets hope Honda is making the difference
By racechick
Mercedes doesn't have a patent on the colour silver.
In fact, the Honda logo is also silver:

((Silver is esthetically a great colour with black, why not use it?))

I know mercedes don't have a patent on the colour silver, and yes it is a good colour, and I've always thought the McLaren looks good in it. But I'm pretty sure they went silver for MERC and with Honda they were red and white and prior to that orange. So I just wondered why they kept the silver. They had a good opportunity to rebrand for Honda and drop the echoes of Merc. But it's their choice and the car looks good.
By CookinFlat6
Mercedes doesn't have a patent on the colour silver.
In fact, the Honda logo is also silver:

((Silver is esthetically a great colour with black, why not use it?))

I know mercedes don't have a patent on the colour silver, and yes it is a good colour, and I've always thought the McLaren looks good in it. But I'm pretty sure they went silver for MERC and with Honda they were red and white and prior to that orange. So I just wondered why they kept the silver. They had a good opportunity to rebrand for Honda and drop the echoes of Merc. But it's their choice and the car looks good.

Lets not forget Honda is red and white not red and silver. This livery is only for testing, its 100% likely not the 2015 livery. They are probably using up their old silver paint stocks. If Honda is the only major brand name for 2015 then theres no way the car will not look like a Honda advert

A nicely optimised and evocationised example of Ronspeak

"I was Team Principal all those years ago and, while I don’t tend to like looking back to the past, our previous record of sustained success was certainly instrumental in creating the confidence to make the decision to partner with Honda again. Now, there’s real hunger to demonstrate the capabilities of the huge talent pool we share between us, and I’m totally committed to driving progress and achieving further success.
By What's Burning?
And a prominent KPMG logo where the BOSS used to be. I'm not one to fall for liveries unless it's gorgeous, or hate a livery unless it's hideous. This is just blah, more #LetsReviewHistory than #LetsMakeHistory.
By Hammer278
image.jpg

It looks nice but I don't know why they've kept the silver. The silver was from when they were McLaren Mercedes. I think they'd have been better changing the silver to white.

That thick red lining is a great definition for 'Lame'.
By CookinFlat6
Maybe that was the input of the 'team leader'

Its good to have an 'alternative' expectation for the new engine from one other than Arai, Ron or Erick who all seem confident that they can win races

“At McLaren we go into every season hoping and expecting to be fighting for victory but this season is a little bit different.

Honda is not as experienced with this engine as other manufacturers at the moment.

It’s not going to be an easy season for us bit I know Honda will throw everything at it.

“The first few weeks are going to be tough but hopefully they will put us in a good position for the first race."

“The mechanics say everything just fits and works, it feels like one full package but different departments.

“Testing is going to be very important to us because we have less experience than the other engine manufacturers.

“But Honda are very good at listening to the drivers and coming up with a fix or improvement for the next test.

“This is an exciting but stressful part of the season getting ready for the first test.”
By LiamCatterson
I thought they (Honda) weren't going to go with a silver livery because it was a reminder of Mercedes, the company McLaren are no longer a part of???

I am kind of disappointed they never went with the nostalgia option, but it looks nostalgic in the way that it reminds me of the 2006 car...
By Hammer278
Maybe that was the input of the 'team leader'

Its good to have an 'alternative' expectation for the new engine from one other than Arai, Ron or Erick who all seem confident that they can win races

“At McLaren we go into every season hoping and expecting to be fighting for victory but this season is a little bit different.

Honda is not as experienced with this engine as other manufacturers at the moment.

It’s not going to be an easy season for us bit I know Honda will throw everything at it.

“The first few weeks are going to be tough but hopefully they will put us in a good position for the first race."

“The mechanics say everything just fits and works, it feels like one full package but different departments.

“Testing is going to be very important to us because we have less experience than the other engine manufacturers.

“But Honda are very good at listening to the drivers and coming up with a fix or improvement for the next test.

“This is an exciting but stressful part of the season getting ready for the first test.”

The usual practice of setting up a downfall/lowering expectations during pre season again.
By CookinFlat6
Just some baseless speculation here, but if HoLaren are not able to kick butt this season and at the same time Ferrari jump back in the mix, then Alonsos reputation is gonna get a royal trashing with comparisons being made to our old friend Sam Michael.
Honda said last night they had fixed yesterdays small problem only to find another today, same pattern as the shakedowns late last year. On the other hand its better to not run at all due to small issues than to run slow and with problems like RBR last year.
They obviously have small installation issues and not huge fundamental ones like RBR last year, but 2 or 3 days no running with small issues has to change tomorrow for them to remain on course to unleash something this year.

After a year extra and seeing the others, small issues should not be taking more than 2 days when we look at last years history

they could turn up tomorrow and top the sheets but do only 20 laps, that would be a result
By What's Burning?
It only makes it tougher and tougher for Ron to justify the dollar amount he's asking for a title sponsor. I'm sure McLaren can afford it, but this will be the third year without one.

But hey, who am I to judge, at least they're not Ferrari finding themselves running around getting the Tifosi's hopes up with back to back fast time of day in pre-season testing.
By CookinFlat6
:rofl::rofl:

its so obvious, but the press all play along by not mentioning it. Hey Sergio has an IPO and a shed load of inflated book value to 'liberate' why not run on fumes like the Jordans in the days they needed a sponsor at the last moment. At least Sergio has the decency to tell Seb to put the finger away during testing :hehe:

The thing is that compared to last year, they are in the ball park this time round with no glaring fck ups like only being able to run at full speed once every 5 laps cos they gotta charge the battery up :hehe:

But I think the fact Sauber are also ""highlighting"" the ability of the engine to run and showboat this time round is the clue
By myownalias
Let's keep the anti-Ferrari rhetoric out of the McLaren support thread shall we? Infact let's keep the Tifosi baiting off the forum completely!

See our F1 related articles too!