FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By racechick
Are the upgrades a stepped nose do you think? We should find out in an hours time.
Seems odd if it is. McLaren had the fastest car at the start of the season(without a stepped nose), they've not upgraded much and have slipped back a bit. If they go to the stepped nose might they be putting themselves where the rest of the cars with stepped noses started from eight races ago?
Mclaren have a good record of developing through the season so maybe they have something else up their sleeve.
This is just me wondering.....
By MACH141
According to Hamilton the upgrades includes many small parts worked good in the factory and stimulation. for my side if the ugly nose make the car better than its time to use it. but hopefully they have something else to improve the car.
By racechick
I think the ugly nose requires a whole new chassis, so if what lewis says is correct its not the ugly nose.
Yes if the ugly nose made the car go faster, hell bring on the ugly nose!!
By LewEngBridewell
The nose doesn't look any different to me.
By racechick
No. No stepped nose. It was just a thought.
By scotty
Yes stepped nose, unless that is an odd reflection:

By racechick
Well yes I saw that. But it didnt look particularly more stepped than before on the track?
By scotty
I think it is possible the cars didn't run it in FP1, judging from the coverage they weren't running it anyway. But in that pic there definitely appears to be a step on the nose.
By What's Burning?
I think it is possible the cars didn't run it in FP1, judging from the coverage they weren't running it anyway. But in that pic there definitely appears to be a step on the nose.

That's Jenson's nose. Maybe that explains it. :hehe:
By scotty
I dunno what you are getting at there but you would assume there is another nose available for Hamilton. I would expect they didn't run it before either a) cause they don't want to risk the broken part if they only have one of each or b) cause the track conditions prevent them acquiring data on it, so they didn't bother running it.

To address the original post i think this would just be a symptom of the development direction they want to achieve. If the stepped nose was some magical upgrade like the f-duct they're have surely put it on the car months ago (you can bet they looked at this part in preseason development too though!). So i don't think too much can really be read into why they brought it in now and not earlier like other cars on the grid.
By racechick
Ok Thanks for that. They changed Lewis' engine, maybe thats something to do with why they didnt run it. Or like you say, getting it knocked in a wet weather smash.
By What's Burning?
Loosen up! It was a joke. I think it's the same slope that been there but being amplified by the head on angle. The previous nose had a bump but a full fledged bump would men much more than minor upgrades for McLaren, it would almost have to be a completely redesigned tub. We'll find out soon enough.
By stonemonkey
Yes stepped nose, unless that is an odd reflection:

I'd be surprised if the step was there, the step on others is behind the bulkhead so the underside of the chassis can be as high as possible. For mclaren to have to resort to the step they'd need to raise the front end of the car and driver and change the suspension geometry. Putting a step onto the nosecone would have the opposite effect and reduce airflow under the car.
By What's Burning?
Just looked at pics from Valencia and yeap it clearly is much more of a hump. More pronounced less rounded.
By racechick
Loosen up! It was a joke. I think it's the same slope that been there but being amplified by the head on angle. The previous nose had a bump but a full fledged bump would men much more than minor upgrades for McLaren, it would almost have to be a completely redesigned tub. We'll find out soon enough.

Yes thats what I thought. Stepping the nose would be major major redesign, and I wouldnt think worth it since the car is reasonably fast. It did look stepped on the photo which is why I posted the question.

But minor upgrades? :banghead:
Hi

2 is not enough, no! Uh oh - more horny than chri[…]

See our F1 related articles too!