FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By zurich_allan
I was having a look through some of my posts from late into last season and noticed there was some frank discussion about Nico Rosberg on this thread:

http://www.forumula1.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7412

I had some strong opinions on the matter one way, some agreed whilst others didn't. I thought that perhaps it was time to look at the issue again. Now I understand that there is still a long long way to go in the season, but was just wondering if anybody was beginning to admit their 'wrongness' as of yet... :D

Of course I'm being slightly inflamatory there, what I really mean is, do you all still see it the same way? Do you think that he'll manage to hold out and still finish ahead of Schumi in the standings as the season goes on? Or do you see Schumi storming back as the rust gradually falls off, which is of course a real possibility?

I could see some differing opinions being held on this one...
He's been solid but completely unspectacular! So my opinion of him hasn't changed - the only reason he got on the podium today is cause everyone else started way back. We'll see how Schumacher is after Monaco...
Rosberg is basically Mr. Consistent. Showed it last year with as much point finishes as the top guys and so far this year his been Top 6 every race. Consistency doesn't harm you in F1

True. I agree that he certainly hasn't been spectacular this season yet, but then the car hasn't really allowed him to, and he's not put himself in the situation where he's had to overtake lots of slower cars unlike many of the drivers at the 'top' teams already have.

I believe he's now only 4 points off the lead of the WDC...

An interesting start to the season at Mercedes in any case, and I don't think anybody can argue that he's done all that could be expected of him (and possibly more) thus far. Sure Schumi is rusty, but there were many on here predicting Rosberg would be well and truly trounced by the 7X WDC, I think that we can all agree that even if he is eventually beaten over the course of the entire season, he's certainly not going to trounced in the way that some thought.
I think Martin and DC summed it up nicely on the BBC today. He's just missing that extra edge.

He's the only the driver out of the top 4 teams to have never won a race. But then again, Williams have never been particulary fast enough to take a race win. I don't know about Rosberg. He did a great job today, and really earned that podium thanks to a superb qualiying posistion. I mean you have to say what more could he have done today. Not like that Mercedes can get anywhere near the Red Bull.

But there are times, like last year at Malaysia that he just drops of the map. He was leading, and then ended up scoring 1 or 2 points. Or Monaco last year when he was ahead of Massa and Webber, but lost out to both drivers by the end of the race.

I think I'll reserve my opinion till mid-season, till we see what Rosberg does in the Mercedes, and what Schuy can do also.
I think he will win a race when the Mercedez gets some more speed. I have always rated Rosberg very highly. I am one of the people that maintains that he can easily handle Schumacher, no problem. He has driven solid races so far with few mistakes. Because of his speed, that's all he needs to do to keep the shoemaker behind.

I think I am starting to turn into a Rosberg fan. :thumbup:
I think he will win a race when the Mercedez gets some more speed. I have always rated Rosberg very highly. I am one of the people that maintains that he can easily handle Schumacher, no problem. He has driven solid races so far with few mistakes. Because of his speed, that's all he needs to do to keep the shoemaker behind.

I think I am starting to turn into a Rosberg fan. :thumbup:

Easily done. Massa easily turns me lol, it's good he's @ Ferrari.
i agree. i think that nico is a special driver and capable of good things. he could be a bit more exciting for sure, but at the end of the day, in a sport like F1, i think that consistency counts for so much, and i suspect that one of his most valuble assets to a team is that he is consistent and, i think reasonably level headed.
After three races, Nico has outqualified and outraced his teammate -- the 7x WDC -- three times. Seems to me that should affect the stock price of at least one of them.
After three races, Nico has outqualified and outraced his teammate -- the 7x WDC -- three times. Seems to me that should affect the stock price of at least one of them.

Nico's stock will surely rise with his results and consistency now that he is in a truelly competative car. Michaels stock will never plummet, maybe plateau for a short time, as he is the greatest :wink: .

See our F1 related articles too!