FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Starting to hear more about the possibility of Alonso to take a Sabbatical, I sure hope not, It would be disappointing not to see him race next year even though I'm not a big supporter his, he has to drive something, anything.

But I'm fairly confident he has Button's seat next year.
It would be a massive waste if he sat out a year ( like you, not a fan but enjoy watching him and he's one of the best. ) I'd agree McLaren looks very likely. He's too old to sit a year out with these speedy youngsters all waiting in the wings.
Brilliant article here by the superb Mark Hughes on the fall out between Alonso and M&M man which resulted inAlonso storming out and calling M&M man a son of a bitch

Hughes also speculates on the fact that Alonso may have walked away from a much improved Ferrari designed by Allison who has been given carte Blanche to do what's needed.

Hughes says Alonso seems to have misjudged M& M man just as he misjudged Dennis in 2007 with the attempted blackmail.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/al ... s-ferrari/
Well well, the plot thickens, Ferrari are never more than a Mea Culpa from the next dramatic Opera, and Alonso has never left a team without some solid histrionics.

Im putting my moneys on MnM for this one. A guy with that smiley face and the sunglasses and the restraint to smile at Montedodos jokes while twisting the knife - this will be a guy who just loves to 'deal' with highly strung madonna diva employees like Alonso

:hooli-popcorn:
supported with facts and entirely logical. Do you have a better substitute for what al F1 fans are craving right now - an idea of what happpened to leave alonso out on a limb/
By Roth
Facts? Full of lots of ifs and buts, no direct quotes or sources. Me substituting an alternative story doesn't make this one more or less credible.
Nice piece but is it fiction or biographical? It all depends on what happens over the next couple of seasons I guess. I just can't hep think about what is different now that wasn't the case before. It's not like Ferrari didn't have the resources, the man power, the infrastructure, they had it all but still have lost out to Newey four times and to Brawn twice but they've got it all put together for next year? It should be an interesting season.

The reality at least for Alonso is that he won't be any worse off than he is at the moment. Perhaps the reasoning is he'd at least be getting paid more. What do I know?
Facts? Full of lots of ifs and buts, no direct quotes or sources. Me substituting an alternative story doesn't make this one more or less credible.

All we know for sure is that Seb has left RBR and will have a drive in 2015 - must be Ferrari. And we know Alonso has shot his bolt at the Scuderia, yet no top team has yet confirmed him. Ofcourse we all know that there are always contractual reasons for not confirming employment contracts until obligations and liabilities have been sorted out.

Will Alonso be without a drive - not likely, does he know where he is going? likely, Is Ron playing a game by going out of his way to cast doubts on McLaren as the new destination - most likely

However it is obvious that there is some hard ball being played by the new regime at Ferrari and that alonso has lost his previous 'blackmail' style toys that worked so well before he lost his patrons at the team. Monte's last words were to confirm alonso was going to be a loss to the team if despatched.

So Hughes speculation is very welcome in the absence of any other, maybe if there was an alternative set of ifs and bust laid out we could poo poo his speculation, but in the absence of one, we gotta let players play and not cut them down without any alternative - anyone can be a critic, guys like Hughes put their gonads on the line for a living
By Roth
I agree with the basic premise but don't like the way Hughes sets out to rubbish Alonso on no real evidence, and bowing to Mattiachi. The piece
struggles to come up with anything decent in the cons column. The best he has is Alonso is a bit prickly, tells it like it is, and not as much of a
team player as they'd hoped. Sounds like Kimi, get rid of him too. And you couldn't draft in Hamilton either because he's not unlike that. So let's
get Vettel, works hard, we've seen how he handles failure, he doesn't make too many waves, let's hire him. We'll sort the finer details like how
to make a great car later, and just get rid of the only top shelf asset we have. The Mattiachi machismo is what this is, political bull, not wanting
to appear anything like his predecessor, not realising he's no longer in the flogging the merchandise branch of Ferrari (well, he is, but only indirectly).

Atleast in 2007 RD still had something special in the team when Alonso left, but this is a debacle, built on potentially one last hurrah of a fast-fading
champ, and the Newey wunderkid, who's not so wunder.

WB got it right. Alonso has lost less than anyone here, but outside of Merc, it's really just hopes and dreams.
I'd love to see Alonso take a sabbatical. Make it 2 years, even better.
I don't think Hughes rubbishes Alonso, throughout that piece he's praising him as a top drivers. He says he's not been clever on how he tries to play people. Well we've all seen that. He did it to Ron and many a time he's rubbished the Ferari, that's not clever behaviour.

"And you couldn't draft in Hamilton either because he's not unlike that. " ........Really? I've never seen Lewis try to play the team boss, that's not Lewis' style and he doesn't have the skill set to pull it off. If Ferrai could have Lewis to replace Alonso I think they'd bite his hand off, but. Lewis isn't on the market. Do you think he'd swap Merc for Ferrari?

The "son of a bitch " part I've seen on Twitter from other sources. It's why I dug around and then found this article.

I've also seen on twitter speculation that he's going to Merc. When asked, Lauda categorically denied it. Said, why would we change we have front row locked out ( Japan). Nico is under contract for the next two years at least and we are opening contract talks with Lewis to extend his contract past next year. When the same question was posed to Lewis apparantly he looked bemused and said 'maybe he's going in a third car.'
By Roth
I don't think Hughes rubbishes Alonso, throughout that piece he's praising him as a top drivers. He says he's not been clever on how he tries to play people. Well we've all seen that. He did it to Ron and many a time he's rubbished the Ferari, that's not clever behaviour.

"And you couldn't draft in Hamilton either because he's not unlike that. " ........Really? I've never seen Lewis try to play the team boss, that's not Lewis' style and he doesn't have the skill set to pull it off. If Ferrai could have Lewis to replace Alonso I think they'd bite his hand off, but. Lewis isn't on the market. Do you think he'd swap Merc for Ferrari?

The "son of a bitch " part I've seen on Twitter from other sources. It's why I dug around and then found this article.

I've also seen on twitter speculation that he's going to Merc. When asked, Lauda categorically denied it. Said, why would we change we have front row locked out ( Japan). Nico is under contract for the next two years at least and we are opening contract talks with Lewis to extend his contract past next year. When the same question was posed to Lewis apparantly he looked bemused and said 'maybe he's going in a third car.'

He doesn't rubbish Alonso's accomplishments but rather weighs them lightly against his off-track actions, with dubious non-specified sources,
as though Mattiachi is fully justified. Unless he's keeping small boys locked up in his motorhome, I'd take track results over whatever else he does
off it. And this is assuming things have gone down as Hughes says. Maybe Alonso was having contract talks with McLaren prior to Monti going,
and has left Ferrari with no choice but to hastily sign Vettel or be left with an ailing Kimi and an unknown quantity. It's all very murky.

Hamilton tried to play Mclaren's hand in 2012 with the twittergate. He left there in less than friendly circumstances. Even his pit crew didn't want much to
do with him afterhours. I actually felt quite sorry for him because I don't think he's vengeful in any way but rather retreats into himself which can naturally
isolate you in a team environment. I get the feeling he loves racing to the core and everything else is just a nuisance. It's an unfortunate dichotomy of the
sport, the singular and publicly singled out driver surrounded by a crew who work together constantly both for and with them. And we live in a twisted world
where everybody wants to be an individual but still wants to fit in, so it's ironic that when given a rare gift people don't just respect that, and let you do
your own thing. Different will never be accepted.

And the SOB part - you know, that may have been said, probably was, you're right, but in what context we just don't know. I'm aware Alonso is a prickly character
but I can't think of a top, top driver in my lifetime who hasn't been. Prost burned bridges wherever he went, MS was ruthless, Senna a bully, Mansell a princess,
Lauda a pr!ck, even Hamilton's a moody guy, but that's more insular. It goes with the territory. It's the Bergers and Hills and Vettels and Buttons and until recently
Rosbergs who are the nice guys, that level down. They sometimes win WC, usually they are 'car' champions, but they don't have that special talent.
You may have something there Roth, special talent. Though of your ' nice guys' Button knows how to do the dirty, but Oh so smoothly and with wide eyed innocence...I almost find that worse than overt nastiness. And this is the first time Rosberg has been in a position where the championship is in reach and lo and behold he's played dirty. Vettel played dirty with Webber. Hill was always a gentleman and I've never seen Lewis do the dirty on a competitor.

Twitter gate was a response to being stitched up, he didn't instigates it. When the dirty is done to Lewis he speaks out and let's folk know. I don't blame him for that.

I can't argue that Lewis sometimes comes over as moody. That's part and parcel of Lewis and his heart on sleeve. We see the highs and we see the lows, he can't hide his disappointment especially when it's with himself.

Difference won't be respected, you're right with that as well.

I hope. Alonso does get something, it would be a loss to F1 if he sits it out.

See our F1 related articles too!