FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By Roth
Here in Australia, there are 2nd Generation Australians whose maternal and paternal ancestors are from Italy and still claim to be Italian and not Australian.

Always weird thinking to me. You can keep as many cultural ties to your familiy's country as you like, but if you're born and raised in a country then that's your nationality. I'm English, my kids are Australian, simple as that.
By bud
Here in Australia, there are 2nd Generation Australians whose maternal and paternal ancestors are from Italy and still claim to be Italian and not Australian.

Always weird thinking to me. You can keep as many cultural ties to your familiy's country as you like, but if you're born and raised in a country then that's your nationality. I'm English, my kids are Australian, simple as that.

Im also in the same boat as your kids, my family is a mix of German and Scottish, I take pride and an interest in my ancestry and its history but when it comes down to nationality i will always be Australian first.
Not sure how you measure how "nationality" you are?

I'd tend to think he's an Aussie of Italian heritage...... same as me :yes:

And there I was thinking you're a eunuch of my dungeon's heritage...

Don't confuse nationality with pleasure preferences :hehe:

Im also in the same boat as your kids, my family is a mix of German and Scottish, I take pride and an interest in my ancestry and its history but when it comes down to nationality i will always be Australian first.

Living in the Philippines I have a friend who is a 4th generation born in the Philippines of a family that came here from China. He calls himself Chinese and his children go to Chinese speaking schools. He's a great guy as is his family.

Part of the rich and diverse tapestry of life in our world. It's great that each of us have our own preference for how we identify ourselves and our heritage and even better when we can be respectful to those who have a different view.
For Alonso, I am going to say he could've been a five time World Champion by now.

2005 - 2006 - Confirmed Championships

2007, 2010, 2012 - Could've been Championships...

2010 was, IMO, a pre-race strategy blunder. Clearly they went to AD with the plan to cover Mark and stuck to that during the race when they should have realized with Seb ahead he was the one to cover. I was sad when Chris Dyer was made to pay the penalty for that decision which, IMO was clearly a decision made ahead of the race, so really rested with SD.
By bud

Living in the Philippines I have a friend who is a 4th generation born in the Philippines of a family that came here from China. He calls himself Chinese and his children go to Chinese speaking schools. He's a great guy as is his family.

Part of the rich and diverse tapestry of life in our world. It's great that each of us have our own preference for how we identify ourselves and our heritage and even better when we can be respectful to those who have a different view.

Australia like the Americas countries is a new world country.
Most "Australians" are only 4th or 5th Generation at most, so if we follow this thinking what are they if not Australian? Europeans? when does it end?
...Part of the rich and diverse tapestry of life in our world. It's great that each of us have our own preference for how we identify ourselves and our heritage and even better when we can be respectful to those who have a different view.

Australia like the Americas countries is a new world country.
Most "Australians" are only 4th or 5th Generation at most, so if we follow this thinking what are they if not Australian? Europeans? when does it end?

Honestly? I think it's a personal preference and it's "periodically" based.

My parents emigrated in the mid-50s and are proud of having built a life here, in Canada,
because of all the opportunities for education, work, etc there were for their children.

That made me proud to have been born and raised in Canada, therefore I consider myself
Canadian, first, in spite of being proud of my Italian roots.

However, my children actually say they are Italian; but, that's just a way for them to identiy
themselves in a diverse multi-cultural society, where suddenly it's become increasingly more
important for you to know from whence you came.
It was a really nice touch from Fernando to dedicate his podium in China to Stefano Domenicali :thumbup:
It was a really nice touch from Fernando to dedicate his podium in China to Stefano Domenicali :thumbup:

Nice :yes:
 wrote:">We're still in the fight, Alonso insists

20 April 2014 – Fernando Alonso says he and Ferrari are "still in the fight" for title glory this season after finishing third in the Chinese Grand Prix.

Having qualified on the third row, Alonso outraced Red Bull drivers Daniel Ricciardo and Sebastian Vettel to claim the final podium spot.

The result moved Alonso up to third in the championship standings, while his Ferrari team climbed ahead of McLaren and into fourth place.

"It was a good weekend," he said. "We improved the car a little bit and it felt more competitive. The podium is a surprise, but a nice surprise...

"We didn't have the start to the season we would have liked but at the end of the day we're still in the fight."

Alonso says he was "very lucky" to finish after his first corner collision with Felipe Massa, who placed his Williams between the Spaniard and Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel following a lightning getaway from sixth position.

"[It was a] big contact," he said. "We very luckily managed to finish. Hopefully the next one will be a clean start!"

[youtube]VVXe_Z2Z-r8[/youtube]

I believe DD will want me and the other eunuchs to line up with video cameras as we report to work at Forumula1
[youtube]VVXe_Z2Z-r8[/youtube]

I believe DD will want me and the other eunuchs to line up with video cameras as we report to work at Forumula1

He'd want you facing the other way. :wink:

He'd want you facing the other way. :wink:

:rofl::rofl:

He might take to the "Spanish handshake" as an ice-breaker

See our F1 related articles too!