FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

I think this merc was Ross' farewell gift

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

You're right, I missed my own point there. But nobody says, 'oh, it down to Brawn', it's just 'The Merc'. In that respect they've done well
in the team game. Certainly none of the drivers are overtly credited with its development.

I fear Ferrari are putting too much stock in Vettel to up the ante of a less competitive car.
I think this merc was Ross' farewell gift

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

You're right, I missed my own point there. But nobody says, 'oh, it down to Brawn', it's just 'The Merc'. In that respect they've done well
in the team game. Certainly none of the drivers are overtly credited with its development.

I fear Ferrari are putting too much stock in Vettel to up the ante of a less competitive car.

It's Allison that's been given the free hand to sort out the Ferrari. Vettel is just going to drive it :thumbup:

It's Allison that's been given the free hand to sort out the Ferrari. Vettel is just going to drive it :thumbup:

Nice, no pressure for Seb then. Easiest hundred mill he'll ever make.
... Many suspected Vettel was not in the league of Hamilton and Alonso, this year seems to have confirmed that.

I'd agree with you about Hamilton and Alonso being in a different league; but, let's face it, that hasn't garnered either of them a title in years. Yes, it's brought us many moments of exciting driving; but, neither collected that particular hardware.

Vettel has. Even if it was with a "superior" car driven by a "lesser" driver, it's not like either Hamilton or Alonso were able to carry their respective "lesser" cars across the finish line to win any titles.

That's why I maintain that it is a combination of car / driver / team and luck that wins titles.
In the end, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
I get it now! So since Vettel is regarded by many as being a lesser driver than Alonso, Ferrari must be planning on making up for that by giving him a better car and better luck so that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
...The technical side has now overriden everything. In the last twenty years I can only think of two people who have made a constant and significant difference
across multiple teams, Newey and Brawn. You could probably add MS into the perfect storm of Ferrari domination but that was different era with different paramters.
Unless we're putting the Merc success down to him too. Nobody really talks about who made this Merc great, it just seemed to appear fully formed, like a freaky baby...

Why would it be so hard to believe that Schumi helped develop the car in his time at Mercedes?
Isn't that ironic? Hamilton has benefitted from Schumi's skill, experience and expertise!! :thumbup:
I get it now! So since Vettel is regarded by many as being a lesser driver than Alonso, Ferrari must be planning on making up for that by giving him a better car and better luck so that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

:rofl: Whatever!! :rofl:
...The technical side has now overriden everything. In the last twenty years I can only think of two people who have made a constant and significant difference
across multiple teams, Newey and Brawn. You could probably add MS into the perfect storm of Ferrari domination but that was different era with different paramters.
Unless we're putting the Merc success down to him too. Nobody really talks about who made this Merc great, it just seemed to appear fully formed, like a freaky baby...

Why would it be so hard to believe that Schumi helped develop the car in his time at Mercedes?
Isn't that ironic? Hamilton has benefitted from Schumi's skill, experience and expertise!! :thumbup:

During his time at Merc they attempted to develop the car around him, and he improved, but there was none of that previous Schumacher sparkle.
You can't just plonk someone in a car, even MS, and tell them to work their magic again. Not that they didn't try, but there were quite a few people
who all contributed to Ferrari's success, and he was just a part of that.

He may have had input to the early design of this Merc but knowing he wasn't going to drive it, or that it wouldn't turn a wheel in anger when he
was there, i doubt there's much, if any, MS dna in it.

I see this rubbish being spouted around in other sites.....and its really no more than alley way rubbish when the cars are so different from last year, mechanically, aerodynamically and throttle response-wise.

FIrst of all, Michael couldn't even get a handle on Rosberg....so if he had a hand in designing the car he probably made it go slower. Lol. No Bridgestone tailor made tyres, no donkey teammate, no No.1 waterproof contract, no private Maranello test track, no Ferrari-FIA strings to work with in banning other teams' innovations (aka Mercedes' Berrilium, McLarens 3rd pedal, etcetc).

This car is the success of Aldo Costa and his team implemented by Ross Brawn, and the current performance thanks to the inputs of Lewis and Nico from winter testing onwards. End off.
Roth, I find myself agreeing with you on most of the points you've made!!
During his time at Merc they attempted to develop the car around him, and he improved, but there was none of that previous Schumacher sparkle.
You can't just plonk someone in a car, even MS, and tell them to work their magic again...

Mercedes and Schumi obviously thought it was a possibility, and I'm sure that in hindsight, neither would have made the same decision.
I guess, taking into consideration all the changes that had occurred in F1, it really is not surprising they didn't enjoy more success together, isn't it?

...there were quite a few people
who all contributed to Ferrari's success, and he was just a part of that...

Proof, once again, that even Schumi, as great as his accomplishments/stats are, he was "just" part of a whole package!!

...He may have had input to the early design of this Merc but knowing he wasn't going to drive it, or that it wouldn't turn a wheel in anger when he
was there, i doubt there's much, if any, MS dna in it.

That's just it, there is no way to "know" beyond the shadow of a doubt what impact his input may have had.

Speaking of DNA, it only takes two single cells to begin the creation of a
... fully formed, like a freaky baby...
:whip:

See our F1 related articles too!