FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Milton Keynes has been ovulating heavily in 2014. :twisted:
What a difference a year makes.

Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg locked out the front row once again at the Marina Bay Circuit but Mercedes’ pursuers appear to be having a much better time of it at F1’s night race, with just 0.3s covering the top six.

Red Bull are right in the mix, with Vettel lining up on row two behind team-mate Daniel Ricciardo.

However, the defending World Champion said he was always struggling after getting out of shape through Turns 11 and 12.
Live on Sky Sports

“In the end I wasn’t entirely happy with the lap I had,” Vettel said. “I thought there was more but I was probably pushing a little bit too much, overstepped the mark – and once you’ve overslid the tyre a bit too far then you pay the price in the next corners.

“I don’t know how happy other people were with their lap but I think pole was manageable today.”

Vettel dominated in Singapore 12 months ago, at times lapping two seconds quicker than the field on a track full of corners – 23 of them in all – tailor-made to suit his driving style.
Vettel dominated in Singapore 12 months ago, at times lapping two seconds quicker than the field on a track full of corners – 23 of them in all – tailor-made to suit his driving style.

surely that should be
Vettel dominated in Singapore 12 months ago, at times lapping two seconds quicker than the field on a track full of corners – 23 of them in all – tailor-made to suit Neweys ulimate solution to exploit the aero regulations and Sebs ability to maximise a 2 sec cars advantages

An accolade Seb might not like, but which is totally appropriate for the era F1 is now trying to distance itself from - he is the ultimate car show driver
I've always maintained that Vettel is one of the finest drivers at providing driver feedback and developing the car. I've driven a little bit competitively now and I think I get a glimpse of what he's saying. That this year's car does not have the same characteristics as the cars with blown diffusers. Maybe he should ask Ricciardo what he's doing in a certain area of a corner.
ESPNF1 Sebastian Vettel believes an incompatibility between his driving style and the Red Bull RB10 explains his struggles in 2014.

While team-mate Daniel Ricciardo has won three times this season, Vettel's best result was his second place in Singapore - his third podium of the season. In recent years Vettel was able to exploit Red Bull's rear diffuser concept to the maximum but admits he is still struggling to get to grips with the lower downforce available on the RB10.

"Every time I want to push or make something happen, it just doesn't," said Vettel. "I think it is a characteristic of this year's car in combination with the downforce we have, with the tyres. It just maybe doesn't give me yet what I want in a certain area of the corner.

"That is not an excuse, because in the end I have to get the best out of the car. We've done a lot of progress but there is a lot we can do better."

Vettel admits his struggles have given meant he's had to reign in his driving at times this year, something he thinks is having an adverse effect on his performance.

"Yes," Vettel said when asked if his struggles to adapt meant he has been under-driving the RB10. "Obviously you drive the way you think is quickest, whether that means you have to hold back or you have to push, it depends on the situation. It is not that straightforward this year and it is not always consistent, so that is the tricky bit.

"I think ultimately as a driver you would love to go faster but obviously it is different this year. I think we got in a lot better shape in the last couple of races but there are still some things where we are a little bit too much on the edge."
Thanks, WB!! I like that he recognizes his own part in the season's results and is honest about it!
Last edited by sagi58 on 28 Sep 14, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Ricciardo's emergence and Webber's incompetence are part of the explanation. I'm pretty sure Seb would be beating Webber easily in this year's car and it would've been widely accepted that any issues were more to do with car than driver.

Seb's record in the junior formulas isn't exactly great and Bourdais also had the edge on him in the Toro Rosso until he suddenly found his range. Fast over one lap when the car suits him but this is exactly why some continually questioned how he would perform when he hasn't the fastest car. They've got their answer this year. I would call him a good driver but not great in the class of Lewis and Alonso who've wrestled far dodgiers cars around.
My sentiments entirely LH44. It's why championship tallies don't tell the whole story.
The more i see him in interviews the more he comes across as a nice guy. Don't know how true this pic is but it seems like something he would say

Sent using NCC-1701

Who do you think is the best overall driver in F1?

"Difficult one. On any given day, Hamilton, Alonso, even Rosberg. And on their coat tails is Ricciardo. Vettel? He would have been there but I am really confused by him this year. Can it possibly be that the car does not suit him? I can't believe it. Or is it that, as Alonso always stated, 'give him a normal car and we'll see how good he is'? Well, this car is normal. The jury is out for me on Sebastian at the moment. Anyone who can win four world titles is very special but this has been a lacklustre year for him."

Eddie Jordan.
Why the sudden elevation of Rosberg I wonder? These pundits are so short sighted. Whilst admitting the mistake made about Vettel, they do the same again. ( not saying Rosberg isn't any good, saying he isn't an Alonso or Lewis)
:yikes: you don't think he disturbs Eddie do you??? :yikes:
These pundits are so short sighted.

Understatement of the year. A lot of it is PR and some simply don't want to say how they truly feel for fear of alienating the fan base.
This guy's stock has fallen so fast we're lucky it hasn't affected the economy. :hehe:

Before when I heard "Sebastian Vettel" I was thinking of the guy winning every race/multiple champ/etcetc

Now whenever I hear his name I have not 1 finger but 4 popping up in my mind...

See our F1 related articles too!