synsei wrote:Being logical about this, even though I am bloody angry that the race has been allowed to go ahead, it is the FIA and Bernie's decision to hold the GP that has lead to the controversy that is billowing up in the media and it is also responsible somewhat for the escalation in violence. It is impossible to separate sport and politics in situations such as these and anyone who thinks otherwise is being naive. Apartheid in South Africa demonstrated this point perfectly. As I've said in another thread, the bottom line here is greed, morality doesn't get a look in...
ESPNF1; The Bahrain authorities have refused entry to a number of journalists in recent days from organisations as diverse as Sky News, CNN, Reuters and the Financial Times.
Stuart Ramsay, chief correspondent at Sky News, which is part of the BskyB organisation which broadcasts Formula One in the UK, was one of those who had a visa application declined. "Govt refuses to explain why I can't come in," Ramsay said on Twitter. "Govt welcomes F1 but not independent journalists who actually understand the complexity of this issue."
Bahrain's information ministry said that non-sports journalists who had been denied entry were welcome to come after the grand prix was over and blamed "logistics" for the problems. "We have also invited non-sports-related journalists who were unable to get a visa for this week to apply to come after the race," a spokesman for the ministry said. "It should be noted, however, that journalists from AP, AFP and Sky News all have teams here who are covering sporting and non-sporting events as is shown by their coverage."
On Thursday, a bus containing 12 mechanics from the Sauber team took to the hard shoulder after encountering a burning bottle in the road and seeing masked men running towards their lane. No-one was hurt in either incident.
ESPNF1 reports; The future of the Bahrain Grand Prix is secure according to Formula One's boss Bernie Ecclestone.
This year's race was surrounded by negative headlines and controversy as F1 returned to the Gulf state for the first time since 2010. The sport shared column inches with reports of violence on the street as riot police elsewhere on the island used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse protestors.
The race itself was largely unaffected as security around the circuit ensured only a couple of female protestors made it into the venue before quickly being escorted out of sight. Asked on Sunday night by Reuters whether the sport would return, he said: "Absolutely. Forever. No problem."
Speaking about the negative media attention, Ecclestone added: "I think it's good because people talk about things, you know. You know what they say - there is no such thing as bad publicity."
Talking to El Pais he said the decision to go ahead with the race was justified.
"Basically, the problems they have in Bahrain have nothing to do with F1," Ecclestone said. "The relevant agencies gave the nod as far as security was concerned, and I think it is clear that they were not wrong."
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests