FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
if Renault get DSQ for 08 would the championship potentialy change?

If the FIA have got nothing else better to do than DQ'ing Renault for what they did last year it would be disgraceful, at this rate every race finish in the history of motorsport itself will be subject to FIA investigations!
From autosport.com:

FIA to launch probe on '08 Singapore GP

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, August 30th 2009, 16:08 GMT

The FIA is to launch an investigation into the events at last year's Singapore Grand Prix, where Renault's Fernando Alonso claimed victory on the back of a crash by his team-mate Nelson Piquet.

Alonso's success was sealed by the timing of a safety car in the early stages of the inaugural event - which had been called out when Piquet crashed into the wall shortly after his team-mate stopped for fuel.

The timing of Piquet's crash prompted wild conspiracy theories that the Brazilian had been ordered to deliberately spin to help Renault take its first victory of the year. Piquet himself insisted at the time that the accident had been caused by him simply trying too hard.

"It was my mistake," said Piquet. "We tried two extreme strategies with Fernando quite short and me quite long in the hope of getting a safety car. If I hadn't crashed I would have been lucky with the safety car later in the race because I was very happy.

"We're always scraping the walls, and once you've touched the wall a little too much and lose control that's it."

It is understood, however, that fresh evidence about the events that took place in the race have now come to light - which has prompted the FIA to step in.

Piquet was dropped by Renault after this year's Hungarian Grand Prix, and has been outspoken in his criticisms of the outfit - and in particular team principal Flavio Briatore. It is not clear if the Brazilian himself has been a catalyst for the investigation, or if the evidence has come from elsewhere.

The FIA has not elaborated on the details of its inquiry, but a spokesperson confirmed to AUTOSPORT that an investigation was under way.

"The FIA can confirm that an investigation is underway regarding alleged events at a previous world championship race," said the spokesperson.

Should the FIA investigation suggest there is any evidence of foul play involved, then the governing body could call a hearing of the World Motor Sport Council to discuss the matter.

Well, it's definitely being investigated, anyway. The Piquets are nasty pieces of work.
I can't believe this rubbish. There is no doubt in my mind its the Piquet(s) doing. They have nothing better to do than stir sh*t up. What evidence can possibly be dug up to prove Renault guilty of something like this other than one person saying it was true while another will deny it.

If Piquet thinks this is his way of getting back at Flavio/Renault for firing him he is wrong. He is simply burning any chance he ever had left of getting a drive in another team.
From autosport.com:

FIA to launch probe on '08 Singapore GP

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, August 30th 2009, 16:08 GMT

The FIA is to launch an investigation into the events at last year's Singapore Grand Prix, where Renault's Fernando Alonso claimed victory on the back of a crash by his team-mate Nelson Piquet.

Alonso's success was sealed by the timing of a safety car in the early stages of the inaugural event - which had been called out when Piquet crashed into the wall shortly after his team-mate stopped for fuel.

The timing of Piquet's crash prompted wild conspiracy theories that the Brazilian had been ordered to deliberately spin to help Renault take its first victory of the year. Piquet himself insisted at the time that the accident had been caused by him simply trying too hard.

"It was my mistake," said Piquet. "We tried two extreme strategies with Fernando quite short and me quite long in the hope of getting a safety car. If I hadn't crashed I would have been lucky with the safety car later in the race because I was very happy.

"We're always scraping the walls, and once you've touched the wall a little too much and lose control that's it."

It is understood, however, that fresh evidence about the events that took place in the race have now come to light - which has prompted the FIA to step in.

Piquet was dropped by Renault after this year's Hungarian Grand Prix, and has been outspoken in his criticisms of the outfit - and in particular team principal Flavio Briatore. It is not clear if the Brazilian himself has been a catalyst for the investigation, or if the evidence has come from elsewhere.

The FIA has not elaborated on the details of its inquiry, but a spokesperson confirmed to AUTOSPORT that an investigation was under way.

"The FIA can confirm that an investigation is underway regarding alleged events at a previous world championship race," said the spokesperson.

Should the FIA investigation suggest there is any evidence of foul play involved, then the governing body could call a hearing of the World Motor Sport Council to discuss the matter.

Well, it's definitely being investigated, anyway. The Piquets are nasty pieces of work.

I wouldn't be surprised if Piquet senior asked the FIA to investigate into why he lost the 1986 title to Prost whilst they're at it, maybe he thinks Williams only wanted Mansell to win it, hence why they called him into the pits to change tyres hastily after Mansell had his blow-out. :rolleyes:
If a team cheats 20 years ago, 10 years ago, 1 year ago, 6 months ago or 1 minute ago, it deserves to be investigated if credible evidence comes to light. While it would be difficult to punish offenders retrospectively you could certainly find methods to punish them currently e.g. Exclusion, grid places, financial penalty's.

Fundementally for a sport to succeed it has to based in sportsmanship.

If Renault are found to be dirty rotten cheaters, ban em.

There are several cheating teams still in Formula One...

many of those teams have cut out their dirty habits though and are now clean.
I can't believe this rubbish. There is no doubt in my mind its the Piquet(s) doing. They have nothing better to do than stir sh*t up. What evidence can possibly be dug up to prove Renault guilty of something like this other than one person saying it was true while another will deny it.

If Piquet thinks this is his way of getting back at Flavio/Renault for firing him he is wrong. He is simply burning any chance he ever had left of getting a drive in another team.

:yes: He drove like a impulsive child, he's now behaving like a petulant child.

many of those teams have cut out their dirty habits though and are now clean.

For the moment, and as far as we can see. But there were some pretty big things in recent years that did not result in teams being banned and, in some cases (Renault, Toyota) not even being punished.

I'm for banning all who cheat 'on purpose'.

Though I agree that most of the top teams would vanish.! :)

So, that means McLaren, Ferrari, Renault, Toyota and Brawn, at the very least, would be gone. :P

So, that means McLaren, Ferrari, Renault, Toyota and Brawn, at the very least, would be gone. :P

Can you really blame Brawn for the sins of Honda??
Hi

2 is not enough, no! Uh oh - more horny than chri[…]

See our F1 related articles too!