FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost

By overboost
By overboost
Vettel on top. I guess maybe Merc decided not to turn their engines up?

By overboost
As always another Merc 1-2. Good job by the Hulk almost 1 second faster than Perez.

By tony1979
On the last couple of laps, when Ricciardo, Vettel and Ver Stappen were all together, the coverage on Sky clearly showed Ricciardo had a medium tyre front left and a soft on the Rear Left!
Will try and get a pic to post as soon as I can!
By tony1979
tyres (2).jpg

Medium and soft tyres on Danny Ric's car?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By darwin dali
Nah, just some break dust - check on the inside of the tire and you see the yellow band of the soft.
By overboost
If they can give a penalty for that how on earth did they ignore Hamilton driving off track, slide across the grass, completely cut the first two corners and keep the lead?

Charlie must be blind.
By glenncurtis
F1 sporting regulations say that every effort must be made to stay within the track. If both Lewis and Max had made an effort in their lock ups and braking, they would have made the turn in the blacktop run off areas, but likely loosing speed and position to the cars that were following them (Nico and Seb in the two examples we saw today). By driving straight and over the grass to rejoin the circuit, they gained the advantage of maintaining position in front of their trailing opponents. I think that the officials neglected their responsibility to determine the time value of this advantage to remedy the blown corners by Ham and Max... This enforcement needs to be addressed better going forward. Today's race would have had many outcome changes had this been properly officiated.

Regarding Vettel's maneuver regarding Daniel Ricciardo:
While following Max, Sebastian Vettel seems to move to the right following the same exact line that Max in front of him was taking to prepare for the turn (I see this as following the racing line). Immediately after this racing line direction change, he responds to Daniel's cut to the inside by making his one allowed defensive maneuver. Vettel continues to the corner leaving a gap for Daniel, unfortunately Daniel is unable to slow for the corner and bumps against Vettel.

Question: Do any of you see Vettel's drive as two blocking maneuvers, or just as one? Remember that Daniel did not make a move to the right, when Vettel did for the racing line.

Is there clear text in the regulation that says that while starting to brake, or during braking for a turn, that the one allowed defensive move is off the table for the car in front? Again, I see space left on the inside for the opponent that was not used due to carrying too much speed.

Otherwise, this was an exciting race, great track, and happy that all were safe.

Thanks
GC
By Stephen
That was a painful race to watch.

Once again tarmac runoff areas have been used inappropriately. I don't believe Hamilton should have received any penalty but his mistake should have seen him lose time - not gain it. He could hardly let the entire field through and a penalty would have been overkill IMHO. Same goes for Verstappen - he used the track layout and benefited - a penalty was too much but he also saw an advantage by heading off the track - gravel would have fixed that! :hehe:

As for the Vettel saga, I understand his frustration but he should now apologise to Charlie and refocus. The ridiculous thing with his penalty is that it wouldn't have happened had Verstappen conceded and hadn't pushed the German back into Daniel. Also, whilst Vettel may have squeezed Ricciardo, it wasn't anywhere as bad at the moves seen in previous races by Max.

F1 needs 2017 to work better than this - every other driver seems frustrated, largely due to managing their tyres/fuel throughout the entire race to the absolute detriment of racing.
By gdh
Time to wrap the cars in bubble wrap install training wheels and autopilot so that there is no wheel to wheel racing, no off track excursions, all engines are turned down so that the complete parade makes it from start to finish. All radio communication should play Shiny Happy People.
The new ownership needs to clean the slate including Whiting and little caesar, no one respects the stewards or sr mngt, obviously Hamilton knew he wouldn't be reprimanded, Vers just gave them all the finger and Seb clearly voiced his opinions of them.
In my pool on the Corvette forum we gave up n 1st and 2nd place this yr and only focus on 3rd. I joined in for these past 3 races and this race chose Ricc. Not a way I wanted to gain the maximum points. Glad this farce is nearly over, maybe the back marker teams from Ferrai on down should put their backup drivers in the cars for the last parades. :hehe:
By sagi58
...Is there clear text in the regulation that says that while starting to brake, or during braking for a turn, that the one allowed defensive move is off the table for the car in front? Again, I see space left on the inside for the opponent that was not used due to carrying too much speed...

Hey, GC!! Welcome!!

Unfortunately, there seems to be a LOT of subjectivity... especially in this race...
Some drivers are penalized... some aren't... part of the problem is that the rules
are bent beyond the spirit of the law and then have to be written in black and white...
Verstappen has gotten away with worse, this season; however, this is the first race
of the "new" re-write, so Vettel was the first sacrificial lamb, even though it is quite
understandable how he was "forced" into that moment...

Whatever... :rolleyes:
By sagi58
... As for the Vettel saga, I understand his frustration but he should now apologise to Charlie and refocus...

And... what of Verstappen?
Has he offered any apologies for drivers whose races he has ruined?
Yeah... didn't think so... :rolleyes:
By sagi58
...no one respects the stewards or sr mngt, obviously Hamilton knew he wouldn't be reprimanded, Vers just gave them all the finger and Seb clearly voiced his opinions of them...

Why should anyone respect them? It's not like they've earned their stripes!
It's not like they're consistent! They are easily swayed by public opinion!
So? Why not ignore them? Why not be rude?

See our F1 related articles too!