FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
Officials at the Malaysian Grand Prix are considering dropping their Formula One race when the current contract expires in 2018.

The race has seen a decline in attendances in recent years, with the New Straits Times reporting a drop of 10 percent year on year. This year's race only saw a 55-60 percent capacity crowd and the organisers are no longer sure the race is worth its hefty sanctioning fee.

"Maybe it will do Malaysia good to take a break," Sepang International Circuit's chief executive officer Datuk Ahmad Razlan Ahmad Razali was quoted by the New Straits Times. "I think the product is no longer exciting. It's being dominated by one team."

The report said a decision would be taken on Thursday this week by track officials and Malaysia's ministry of finance.

Malaysia has been on the F1 calendar since 1999 and has benefitted from funding from title sponsor Petronas. This year it was moved from the start of the calendar towards the end and was held just two weeks after the Singapore Grand Prix, which also reported a decline in attendance this season.

The GP of Malaysia usually rates pretty high - will we miss it or look forward to a new GP?
By myownalias
I think it's a case of sabre rattling by the Malaysian GP organizers in an effort to send a message to race fans "use it or lose it" kind of thing, or maybe even and attempt to get their original calendar spot back; which I double will work, Bernie will simply drop the race, Malaysian does not have the power over the sport the the classic races in Europe and Canada.
By rob91
Sepang to no longer host Formula 1 from 2018

From the longer term perspective, it's probably the correct decision because it's more expensive and no longer that attractive

I will be sad to see it leave the F1 calendar because I think it is a good circuit but it is not a surprise, the interest in F1 was falling there for some time, as it is in the rest of the world. F1 is clearly becoming a financial burden to several race tracks, Brazil, Canada and Germany are all under threat, Monza was close to being dropped (might still be?) and there is talk that Silverstone might drop their race in a few years because it is becoming too expensive for them.
    Hi

2 is not enough, no! Uh oh - more horny than chri[…]

See our F1 related articles too!