FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By gdh
3 championships in a row, well done! Glad to see them being pushed by Red Bull these last few races.
By myownalias
It's hard to get excited about Mercedes winning a third constructors title given it was pro-ordained at the start of the season, no-one expected to be able to beat the silver arrows. This is not anything against Mercedes specifically, I felt the same with the Red Bull and Ferrari Dominance before Mercedes. It's hard to get excited when you know for result beforehand.
By overboost

Boooo!
By sagi58
Congrats...

as MOA said,
It's hard to get excited about Mercedes winning a third constructors title given it was pro-ordained at the start of the season...

I'll go one step further and suggest it was pre-ordained with their fingerprints all over the engine regulations...

As for Ferrari's domination, my understanding is that they tested "too much" and not that they actually wrote any regulations... in fact, it's my understanding that many regulations were written to stop them from winning... and, yet...
By myownalias
I don't really care much about circumstances in which the domination happened; it's boring when you know one of two drivers in the same team will win most, if not all races and easily claim the constructors title with four races remaining. To Ferrari, they had a very big advantage during their dominance, they worked very closely with Bridgestone to develop a tire that suited the Ferrari chassis during the Schumacher years, most teams that have dominated have had some sort of technical advantage.
By gdh
I got so bored of F1 during the Ferrari/Shumi domination years that I stopped watching for awhile. Was thrilled to see Vettel/Red Bull win the 1st 2 yrs, have been bored with the Merc domination and am hoping that with the new regulations we see a different team win but hopefully not yr after yr.
By sagi58
... To Ferrari, they had a very big advantage during their dominance, they worked very closely with Bridgestone to develop a tire that suited the Ferrari chassis during the Schumacher years...

OK... just wondering, didn't teams have a choice as to which tire manufacturer they worked with?
Because, that option isn't available to anyone any more... let's hope that doesn't mean that there
will be only one engine supplier...
By darwin dali
Teams could indeed choose which tire supplier they wanted to work with, but that was exactly the problem: Bridgestone worked with Ferrari almost exclusively (Ferrari was the best team in their fold and together they were a proven winning formula), so any other team joining them would have had to play second fiddle to Ferrari's developmental wishes for Bridgestone.

For a long time, we had a de facto single engine supplier with Cosworth - the only other engine manufacturer was Ferrari.
By sagi58
So "now" we have a team that helped write the turbo engine regulations
AND who "secretly" tested for the tire supplier...

Yup... competition is alive and well in F1... NOT! :banghead:

See our F1 related articles too!