FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost
Russian GP at Sochi!

A few things that could make it interesting at the flat and sterile Sochi track:

Pirelli are bringing the softer rubber this time, will the tires be the story of the weekend? 2-3 stops are targeted.

Obviously Mercedes with their massive super engine advantage are the favorites for another 1-2 finish but will Rosberg make it interesting by finally making a stand? Last year it was over after the first corner but Rosberg did stick it out going from last to second on a single set of tires, amazing. Rosberg desperately needs to win this year.

Who will be the best of the rest Ricciardo, Vettel, Raikkonen, Bottas? Or maybe local boy Kvyat will put on a show for Mr. Putin (or else!).

Can Williams regain top form?

By myownalias
I really hope that Ferrari or Williams can spring a surprise here, maybe even have the two Mercs take each other out at T1, then we might have some excitement with the best of the rest teams fighting it out for podiums.
By overboost
I really hope that Ferrari or Williams can spring a surprise here, maybe even have the two Mercs take each other out at T1, then we might have some excitement with the best of the rest teams fighting it out for podiums.

I think that the excitement and ratings take a jump if they at least minimize the TV time on the Mercs as was the case in Japan. Focusing coverage of the mid pack teams in japan was far superior to just showing the merc boredom at the front.
By stonemonkey
Yeah, well they've always done that, like in the Vettel, Schumacher etc. times, unless there's been a tussle at the front or someone chasing them down which is fair enough if there's some action going on further back.
By overboost
This was a little more drastic compared to Merc's previous dominant victories this season:

"However, figures seen by Telegraph Sport reveal the degree to which coverage was limited. Mercedes received only around six minutes of prominent shots in the race, despite a tight battle between Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel for second in the closing stages.
However, in the Italian Grand Prix earlier this month, also won comfortably by Hamilton from pole, Mercedes received 31 minutes of coverage, more than five times that of Japan. In Belgium they received 26 minutes – another Mercedes one-two – while in Hungary they received three quarters of an hour."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... claim.html

Could Bernie be trying to improve the ratings by removing Mercedes? Maybe it is something to do with the possible sale of F1 he has been talking about. Better ratings mean a higher sale price. Showing more of he Saubers and the Red Bulls is what the fans wanted.
By stonemonkey
If those figures are true, I wouldn't be too surprised if there were instructions to the director to balance things up with regards to screen time. Could be from noise made by the other teams or their sponsors or from FOM or wherever.
Or could it have been a different director with different ideas on what and how things should be shown?
Whatever it is I think there's a bit much being read into it there.
By overboost
Rosberg on Pole!

Full qualifying results for round 15 of the 2015 Formula 1 World Championship (F1), the Russian Grand Prix at Sochi Autodrom.

1. Nico Rosberg GER Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 37.113s
2. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 37.433s
3. Valtteri Bottas FIN Williams-Mercedes 1m 37.912s
4. Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 37.965s
5. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 38.348s
6. Nico Hulkenberg GER Force India-Mercedes 1m 38.659s
7. Sergio Perez MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 38.691s
8. Romain Grosjean FRA Lotus-Mercedes 1m 38.787s
9. Max Verstappen NED Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 38.924s
10. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull-Renault 1m 39.728s

11. Daniil Kvyat RUS Red Bull-Renault 1m 39.214s
12. Felipe Nasr BRZ Sauber-Ferrari 1m 39.323s
13. Jenson Button GBR McLaren-Honda 1m 39.763s
14. Pastor Maldonado VEN Lotus-Mercedes 1m 39.811s
15. Felipe Massa BRZ Williams-Mercedes 1m 39.895s

16. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda 1m 40.144s*
17. Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber-Ferrari 1m 40.660s
18. Will Stevens GBR Manor Marussia-Ferrari 1m 43.693s
19. Roberto Merhi ESP Manor Marussia-Ferrari 1m 43.804s**
DNP Carlos Sainz Jr ESP Toro Rosso-Renault
By overboost
Hamilton looking at first corner opportunity to overtake Rosberg.

When pressed again on his tactics into Turn 2 from second on the grid, he replied: "I wasn't saying I was happy, I had no choice in being second right now, Nico did a great job. I still feel it's all to play for as you've seen in the other races I've started second. I think it makes the races even more exciting and it's a long old way down to Turn 1, probably one of the longest of the whole year, so it should create an opportunity. But there's still opportunity in the race as well."

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/138 ... grand-prix
Anyone watching the BBC's coverage will have enjoyed Christian Horner's reaction on live coverage to Eddie Jordan's comments about RBR "crawling back to Renault":

'Eddie talking out of his arse like usual'.

:rofl:

Nicely put :wink:
By myownalias
He may think Eddie is talking out of his arse, but EJ does tend to be right more often than not... I think Mr. Jordan may have hit a raw nerve!
By Bladesman
Not sure what is going on with Red Bull, it looks like no one wants to give them an engine.

Anyway a decent win for Lewis today and Nico was very unlucky.
Thought it was a very good race. Shame that Ferrari couldnt keep the constructors fight going until Austin, but the stewards were spot on to give Raikkonen a 30 second penalty, to be generous it was extremely ambitious!

Another excellent drive from Vettel and good pace in the 2nd stint although as Hamilton was managing a possible rear wing issue I think a 6 second gap at the end flattered Ferrari a little.
By 1Lemon
I'M SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW I CAN'T EVEN ARGHHH

See our F1 related articles too!