FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
A letter of intent has been signed according to Lotus.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/10/02/r ... e-married/

Renault and Lotus are “engaged to be married”, according to the F1 team’s deputy principal Federico Gastaldi.

The French manufacturer confirmed on Monday it had signed a Letter of Intent regarding a “potential acquisition” of Lotus. Yesterday Manor revealed they will use Mercedes engines next season – potentially a further sign Lotus will not use the three-pointed star’s power units in 2016.

“It looks like we’re engaged to be married again, which is interesting as we’ve had a few relationships together before,” said Gastaldi. Renault previously owned the team between 2002 and 2009.
“It’s positive for the sport and it’s positive for Enstone that a company with the history and prestige of Renault is looking to strengthen its role in Formula One,” Gastaldi continued. “It’s true we’ve both experienced a few knocks over the years but we’ve also had some exceptional highs and that makes us all collectively exceptionally motivated to harness our resilience and show everyone what we can do.”
Will be interesting to see what Red Bull/TR does. If they can make a deal with Ferrari will they be satisfied with the power unit or just pull out of F1 completely? At least in North America there are quite a few racing series that get far more exposure than F1 and there is FE which is gaining traction.
I just don't get what you imply here: if one has followed F1 for a long time, then it's a given that one feels like watching a soap opera, but people new to F1 wouldn't feel that way? So in spite of you being a newer follower, you feel like a long-time F1 fan?
If that's the juxtaposition you infer here, then I doubt it to be a valid one. Old timers like me, we are used to such shenanigans and don't necessarily think of it as a soap opera. Or maybe we do and call it 'that's life'...
I just don't get what you imply here: if one has followed F1 for a long time, then it's a given that one feels like watching a soap opera, but people new to F1 wouldn't feel that way? So in spite of you being a newer follower, you feel like a long-time F1 fan?...

OK... in spite of not having followed F1 as long as some of our members, I have also come to the realization that F1 reflects life, as do soap operas. In my naivetee' I thought that F1, being the pinnacle of a motor sport, would be "above" that! I believed that it was all guts and glory, with no time for frivolity, such as jealousy, envy, pettiness. But, I was wrong. And, it didn't take me very long to figure that out. So, in spite of not having been around F1 as long as some, I figured that out tout de suite.

...If that's the juxtaposition you infer here, then I doubt it to be a valid one. Old timers like me, we are used to such shenanigans and don't necessarily think of it as a soap opera. Or maybe we do and call it 'that's life'...

Yes, you're right, it all is part of life since, in the end, those involved in owning, developing, designing, building, driving, financing, supporting, cheering, etc are all human. As such, we are all prone to those moments where our emotions override our intellect.

p.s. Only you, as the reader, can infer what you believe I am implying. :whip:
Will the new name be Redbull 'Mecachrome _______' ??

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/

"This probably means that Red Bull will end up with Renault engines next year, as a quid pro quo between Renault and the Formula One group in relation to a nine-year commercial deal they have shaken hands on. It may be that the engines will be given another name and will come from Mecachrome, which builds all Renault engines these days, but another name will act as a fig leaf to cover Red Bull’s embarrassment at having stomped rudely away from Renault and then having to crawl back on bended knee."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121408

Red Bull will have Renault's upgraded engine available for this weekend's United States Grand Prix should the four-time world champion team choose to use it, Autosport has learned.

Renault had yet to dip into its allocation of 12 engine development tokens so far this season, but it is understood Renault has now used a "significant" amount of tokens, close to its full allowance.

The decision on whether or not to use the latest spec will be made jointly with Red Bull at Austin.

Any change will incur a grid penalty as Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat have already exceeded their engine allocations.

Renault will make the previous spec, used in Russia, available should Red Bull decide against using the upgraded engine.

It is understood Renault's other customer Toro Rosso, which is close to a deal to use 2015-spec Ferrari engines next year, will not run the Renault upgrade at Austin.

The Renault updates are focused on the internal combustion engine (ICE), with some changes made to the turbo, all of which form part of the French manufacturer's preparations for 2016.

It is understood the Austin update has been validated, having completed a full cycle on the dyno to sign it off for reliability.

Renault will have a few tokens left following this update, however it is unlikely the French manufacturer will use the remainder of its allocation given only three races remain after Austin.

Regardless of whether Red Bull uses the new engine or not, Renault is pushing on with its development plans for next season as it looks to close the deficit to Mercedes and Ferrari.

It remains unclear whether Red Bull will use Renault power next season, with the two parties involved in talks as the former is currently without an engine supply for 2016.

Meanwhile, Renault is locked in talks with Lotus to make the Enstone-based team its works outfit next term.
Renault will bounce back with a more powerful engine in 2016....I hope!

We may see it this weekend!

http://planetf1.com/news/renault-upgrad ... at-austin/

See our F1 related articles too!