FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost
Interesting info if correct.

Red Bull seems to be doing the best with very reasonable salaries for the quality of driver, only 2.25 million euros total.

Ferrari pays the most as expected. They always seem to pay the top dollar.

And look at McLaren at only a million less than Ferrari for their grand total of 5 points so far!

Mercedes seeing these salaries must be absolutely kicking themselves when they realize that they could have both Ricciardo and Bottas for less than 4 million euros and easily win both championships as they have that big car/engine advantage. Instead they are forking out an extra 34 million for the same result! That's enough to buy every driver on the grid below the top five! They have no one else to blame but themselves.

And hopefully Merhi gets a raise next year, 50k euros doesn't go far when you have to get yourself to the races all over the world!

# Driver Team Salary
01 Fernando Alonso McLaren €35m
02 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari €28m
03 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes €25m
04 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari €18m
05 Nico Rosberg Mercedes €13.5m
06 Jenson Button McLaren €10m
07 Felipe Massa Williams €4m
= Nico Hulkenberg Force India €4m
= Sergio Perez Force India €4m
= Romain Grosjean Lotus €4m
= Pastor Maldonado Lotus €4m
12 Valtteri Bottas Williams €2m
13 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull €1.5m
14 Daniil Kvyat Red Bull €750,000
15 Max Verstappen Toro Rosso €250,000
= Carlos Sainz Toro Rosso €250,000
17 Felipe Nasr Sauber €200,000
= Marcus Ericsson Sauber €200,000
19 Will Stevens Manor €150,000
20 Roberto Merhi Manor €50,000

http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/display/10530
Last edited by overboost on 23 Jul 15, 22:11, edited 5 times in total.
By myownalias
I don't know why Fernando Alonso is paid €35m, he has been terrible this season, he's only scored one point after nine races. :wink::twisted:
By sagi58
:yikes: I can't help but notice the discrepancy within the teams themselves.
One driver is being paid almost double his teammate's salary!!! :yikes:

How can anyone justify saying there is no preferred driver?? :rolleyes:

Interesting info if correct.

McLaren/Honda
Fernando Alonso €35m .....vs..... €10m Jenson Button

Ferrari
Sebastian Vettel €28m .....vs.....€18m Kimi Raikkonen

Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton €25m.....vs..... €13.5m Nico Rosberg

Williams
Felipe Massa €4m.....vs..... €2m Valtteri Bottas

Red Bull
Daniel Ricciardo €1.5m.....vs..... €750,000 Daniil Kvyat

http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/display/10530
By myownalias
Certain drivers are worth more as sponsors will flock to them, bringing in money to the team, not to mention how much a team will make from merch, let's face it, Hamilton is infinitely more popular than Rosberg, Vettel is a four time WDC and is clearly superior to Raikkonen on track. As for Alonso, Honda wanted a big name driver and the Japanese were willing to pay the €€€.
By overboost
Bottas seems the bargain on the list, at least compared with results.

Williams have a real bargain there with Bottas. He is a good performer and his future looks bright.
By sagi58
Certain drivers are worth more as sponsors will flock to them, bringing in money to the team, not to mention how much a team will make from merch, let's face it, Hamilton is infinitely more popular than Rosberg, Vettel is a four time WDC and is clearly superior to Raikkonen on track. As for Alonso, Honda wanted a big name driver and the Japanese were willing to pay the €€€.

Absolutely!! You've given THREE different and valid reasons why there is always going to be a preferred driver on any team!!
By myownalias
That's not quite what I meant, I don't believe there is a favored driver per se. It comes down to contracts, if Mercedes could get Hamilton to sign for 13.5m, they would do, but they know he'd walk if they offered that little money, where as Rosberg is happy to be at the top team so will sign for 13.5m.
By sagi58
I get that!! BUT, if they didn't really want Hamilton (or Ferrari really want Vettel),
they wouldn't pay that money!! Regardless of whether a teammate is satisfied
with less, it makes the more "expensive" driver, the preferred driver.
By myownalias
Depends on what you mean by preferred? Yes, clearly Ferrari want Vettel more than Raikkonen and Mercedes want Hamilton more than Rosberg, but I would class preferred by what happens on track, if one driver is forced to move over for a team mate, I would call that a preferred driver, but I have not seen evidence of that.
By sagi58
... I would class preferred by what happens on track, if one driver is forced to move over for a team mate, I would call that a preferred driver, but I have not seen evidence of that.

Yet!! :thumbup:

Then again, we don't know what's going on behind closed doors!!
I'd be willing to bet that if a team is willing to pay that difference
in wages, they'd also be expecting dividends/results and would
therefore be a bit more supportive of that driver.

At least, that's how I'd plan on running a team, until the lower
paid driver proved himself more worthy, such as Bottas is doing!

See our F1 related articles too!