FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.

Who was the 2015 Spanish GP Driver of the Race?

Rosberg
33%
Hamilton
11%
Vettel
11%
Bottas
44%
Raikkonen
No votes
0%
Massa
No votes
0%
Ricciardo
No votes
0%
Grosjean
No votes
0%
Sainz
No votes
0%
Verstappen
No votes
0%
Maldonado
No votes
0%
Other
No votes
0%
Vote for your driver of the race from the candidates provided!
I went for Bottas for splitting the Ferrari's and handling the pressure from his fellow Finn. Rosberg drove well but he has by far and away the best car on the grid, so I didn't give him the driver of the race crown, its easy to drive away from the front with the best car.
Bottas was my pick as well mainly for his stout defense of 4th place against the faster Raikkonen. The Merc's having a 1.6s advantage meant Rosberg had an easy time of it getting to the win, Hamilton though fast made too many mistakes likely due to his 3 weeks of jet-setting between races. The Ferrari drivers were just ok. Sainz though deserves a mention for beating teammate Vestappen and grabbing some points at his home race.
All drivers had a three week break not only Hamilton. Why do you assume only Hamilton's break had an adverse affect on driving? And what are the mistakes you refer to that Hamilton made? He had his car set up for the race and was 0.8 secs faster than Roseberg. Last year at Spain Hamilton was slower than Rosberg but this year he was faster. The new clutch didn't work for him and he lost any chance to challenge for first and indeed lost second place as well, almost third. The undercut on Vettel was lost due to a tardy pit stop, the next one wasn't good either. Hamilton had to switch to a three stop to try to regain second place, which he did. Pretty good damage limitation I'd say.
All drivers had a three week break not only Hamilton. Why do you assume only Hamilton's break had an adverse affect on driving? And what are the mistakes you refer to that Hamilton made? He had his car set up for the race and was 0.8 secs faster than Roseberg. Last year at Spain Hamilton was slower than Rosberg but this year he was faster. The new clutch didn't work for him and he lost any chance to challenge for first and indeed lost second place as well, almost third. The undercut on Vettel was lost due to a tardy pit stop, the next one wasn't good either. Hamilton had to switch to a three stop to try to regain second place, which he did. Pretty good damage limitation I'd say.

racechick you could say that Hamilton is the one driver who didn't have a break! Just check the tabloids, Hamilton went on a mind dulling international three week road trip/ party tour. Rosberg though took it easy and recharged spending time with his 'growing' family, he looked sharp.

Spinning in practice, second guessing the setup leading to a poor qually, spinning his tires at the start and losing 2nd place to Vettel. He didn't mention clutch problems, and a driver knows right away. And I also understand that they both had gone with the old 2014 clutches for better feel off the line.

Q: (Michael Schmidt – Auto, Motor und Sport).
Lewis, what exactly happened at the start? Was it just the worse line you were standing on, that left you out to Sebastian? And then, theoretically, would it have been possible to finish the race on the third set of tyres – the hard one – if you wanted?

Lewis Hamilton:
Wheelspin off the start – nothing different just wheelspin. I don't know if the inside line got worse but mine definitely wasn't good. And it wouldn't have been good to stay out, no. We choose to do a three stop quite early on.

ps. Rosberg was .25 secs quicker than Hamilton in qually. Due to the different strategies comparing fastest race lap times is misleading.
Yes Hamilton had wheel spin, because of clutch issues......

"The 30-year-old Englishman never found the balance and set-up he wanted, his new clutch failed him at the start when he suffered furious wheel-spin, he had a slow first pit-stop because of a wheel-gun issue and he was unable to deliver any of his trademark passing moves because of the characteristics of the track.
As a result, Mercedes decided to switch him from a two-stop strategy to three stops and he responded with the most impressive drive of the day.
"On a three-stop, with a compromised start, finishing P2 was the result of really great driving," said Mercedes boss Toto Wolff.
"They were both faultless in this race. It is extremely satisfying for the team when we can pull off a result like that when things are not going perfectly." "

http://m.sports.ndtv.com/formula-1/news ... rg-revival

There is no evidence that Lewis' off track activities have an adverse affect on his driving. He fought back to second after several technical issues, he has three wins and four poles so far this season.
Yes Hamilton had wheel spin, because of clutch issues......

"The 30-year-old Englishman never found the balance and set-up he wanted, his new clutch failed him at the start when he suffered furious wheel-spin, he had a slow first pit-stop because of a wheel-gun issue and he was unable to deliver any of his trademark passing moves because of the characteristics of the track.
As a result, Mercedes decided to switch him from a two-stop strategy to three stops and he responded with the most impressive drive of the day.
"On a three-stop, with a compromised start, finishing P2 was the result of really great driving," said Mercedes boss Toto Wolff.
"They were both faultless in this race. It is extremely satisfying for the team when we can pull off a result like that when things are not going perfectly." "

http://m.sports.ndtv.com/formula-1/news ... rg-revival

There is no evidence that Lewis' off track activities have an adverse affect on his driving. He fought back to second after several technical issues, he has three wins and four poles so far this season.

The quote you have provided seems to be just the writers opinion! I doubt he has much knowledge of how clutches actually work. Anyway Lewis himself said it was just wheelspin, happens to the best of them I guess. Perhaps Lewis was trying to win it all in the first corner. Actually this was something he referred to as his plan after losing pole to Rosberg.

“We’ve both got the exact same clutches, so naturally we should have the same start,” he said on Saturday night.
“If I’m fresher tomorrow and have slightly better reaction time, it might make a difference by Turn One. So that’ll be a goal.”

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... ish-gp-win

Well something affected his driving in Spain, Lewis went from dominating Rosberg to receiving a good tonking. May as well put it down to his three weeks of globetrotting. If not you are left with Rosberg was just the superior driver!
Ah but they didn't have the same clutch. After quali Rosberg reverted to the 2014 clutch, That's not just the journalists opinion, it's a fact.

Without the clutch issues and pitstop problems it would have been very close indeed, Lewis was 8 tenths faster in the race. 'Good tonking?' I think not. Excellent damage limitation though.

And absolutely no evidence that Lewis' driving is in any way affected by his leisure pursuits......though one does have to wonder about the affect of Risberg's impeding fatherhood on his ability to stay focused. He's only had one win, one pole so far this season, and he's been behaving rather oddly in press conferences and interviews, perhaps it's all getting too much for him.
Ah but they didn't have the same clutch. After quali Rosberg reverted to the 2014 clutch, That's not just the journalists opinion, it's a fact.

Without the clutch issues and pitstop problems it would have been very close indeed, Lewis was 8 tenths faster in the race. 'Good tonking?' I think not. Excellent damage limitation though.

And absolutely no evidence that Lewis' driving is in any way affected by his leisure pursuits......though one does have to wonder about the affect of Risberg's impeding fatherhood on his ability to stay focused. He's only had one win, one pole so far this season, and he's been behaving rather oddly in press conferences and interviews, perhaps it's all getting too much for him.

Interesting then that Rosberg made the right move to switch to the old clutch and that Hamilton was in the dark about it. Anyway Hamilton stayed with the upgraded clutch but still managed to get the bite point wrong. He should have spent more time on the clutch setup I guess as Rosberg did.

I find it hard to believe that you are denigrating Rosberg’s family life which is obviously very fulfilling at the moment, something he can draw energy and confidence from versus Hamilton's three weeks of non-stop globetrotting, partying and late nights that would do nothing but numb the mind and empty the soul. An absolutely bizarre position for you to take actually. Lewis traveled the equivalent of three extra fly away races between races!

Again please don't attempt to compare fastest laps in the race as they were on different strategies! I am sure you can appreciate that the times are not comparable.

And yes a 'tonking'. From F1 fanatic:

Who was the best driver of the 2015 Spanish Grand Prix weekend?

Lewis Hamilton (3%)
Nico Rosberg (60%)
Daniel Ricciardo (2%)
Valtteri Bottas (15%)
Sebastian Vettel (4%)
Kimi Raikkonen (1%)
Fernando Alonso (1%)
Jenson Button (1%)
Carlos Sainz Jnr (8%)
Romain Grosjean (1%)
Pastor Maldonado (1%)
Will Stevens (1%)
Total Voters: 513
WoW!! I took the liberty of putting them in descending order of votes.
Quite the eye-opener, considering that NONE of the top three have won the WDC!!

...From F1 fanatic:

Nico Rosberg (60%)
Valtteri Bottas (15%)
Carlos Sainz Jnr (8%)
Sebastian Vettel (4%)
Lewis Hamilton (3%)
Daniel Ricciardo (2%)
Kimi Raikkonen (1%)
Fernando Alonso (1%)
Jenson Button (1%)
Romain Grosjean (1%)
Pastor Maldonado (1%)
Will Stevens (1%)

p.s. :clap: Bravo Bottas!! :clap: Bravo Sainz!! :clap:

Interesting then that Rosberg made the right move to switch to the old clutch and that Hamilton was in the dark about it. Anyway Hamilton stayed with the upgraded clutch but still managed to get the bite point wrong. He should have spent more time on the clutch setup I guess as Rosberg did.

I find it hard to believe that you are denigrating Rosberg’s family life which is obviously very fulfilling at the moment, something he can draw energy and confidence from versus Hamilton's three weeks of non-stop globetrotting, partying and late nights that would do nothing but numb the mind and empty the soul. An absolutely bizarre position for you to take actually. Lewis traveled the equivalent of three extra fly away races between races!

Again please don't attempt to compare fastest laps in the race as they were on different strategies! I am sure you can appreciate that the times are not comparable.

And yes a 'tonking'. From F1 fanatic:

Lewis Hamilton (3%)
Nico Rosberg (60%)
Daniel Ricciardo (2%)
Valtteri Bottas (15%)
Sebastian Vettel (4%)
Kimi Raikkonen (1%)
Fernando Alonso (1%)
Jenson Button (1%)
Carlos Sainz Jnr (8%)
Romain Grosjean (1%)
Pastor Maldonado (1%)
Will Stevens (1%)

Now we're getting somewhere. Hamilton had wheelspin at the start of the Spanish Gp not because he'd been 'globe trotting' but because of a new clutch. :clap: Rosberg did not use the same clutch. :thumbup: Yet despite you only just becoming aware of these facts, you now know why Rosberg got the better start, "Because he spent more time on the clutch set up". Yet he switched after quali. Not much time to practise clutch set up between quali and the race eh?I think there may be a little more to it than that.

And just when we begin to deal in facts regarding the start of the race , you bring in more supposition and unsubstantiated opinion.
I take issue with your suggestion that I denigrate Rosberg. Where have I done that? I said Rosberg appears distracted based on his results so far this season( he's only had 1 win and 1 pole to Hamilton's 3 wins and 4 poles) so either Hamilton is a far superior driver or something is distracting Rosberg. And the most likely distraction is a new young wife who's been ill and an impending baby. That's not to denigrate him, for his concern, far from it.
But you believe Rosberg gains confidence from it? How do you know?How do you know it doesn't distract him? You don't

And despite Hamilton's results this season you persist in this myth that he is distracted by his lifestyle. How do you know? How do you know it doesn't refresh and stimulate him? You don't.

Perhaps you approve of Rosberg and his lifestyle. But disapprove of Hamilton and his? The emotive language you use suggests that this is the case.
Stick with the facts.

You can quote all the polls you want . I've been a Hamilton supporter since 2005. I'm well aware of the double standards that surround all things Hamilton...and have a pretty good idea why.
Hamilton wins a controlled race from pole.....well he just had it easy.
Rosberg wins a controlled race from pole..... Driver of the weekend.
Hamilton overcomes technical issues to get a damage limiting 2nd place...he was tonked.
Rosberg drives a damage limiting race to 3rd place...driver of the weekend.
It just makes me laugh now. How the ABH contingent desperately twist facts.
Hey, Take a read of these, but watch your blood pressure! LOL!! :rofl:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2461 ... rix/page/2
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2461 ... rix/page/3

See our F1 related articles too!