FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Peter Smit
Formula 1: Renault engine chief hits back at Red Bull's Newey
Renault chief Cyril Abiteboul has accused Red Bull's Adrian Newey of lying after he blamed the car's problems on the engine.
Technical boss Newey stated "we've got an engine which is quite a long way behind"
Renault's engine chief said: "It's hard to have a partner who lies."
He added on French site Autohebdo: "Adrian is a charming man and an engineer without equal but he has spent his life criticising engine partners."
Abiteboul added: "In addition to our problems, Red Bull has some chassis problems which don't help the situation.
"In particular, the lack of rear stability. These two problems combine to ensure the car is difficult to drive."

source:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32050898
By myownalias
It would be amusing if Renault decided to stop providing engines to Red Bull...

Renault - "As you think our engines are so bad, we'll have them back and you can make holes in your floor and go racing Flintstones style".

I know that can't happen because of agreements and contracts, but it's an amusing thought!
By stonemonkey
I'm still confused about what lies Abiteboul is referring to. Everyone knows the Renault PU is behind, as far as the articles Ive seen, no one has explicitly stated that is RBR's only issue. The only thing in the articles is the 'no light at the end of the tunnel' comment which to be a lie, Renault must be on the way to fixing the engine problems but Abiteboul gives no indication of that.
By Peter Smit
It would be amusing if Renault decided to stop providing engines to Red Bull...

Renault - "As you think our engines are so bad, we'll have them back and you can make holes in your floor and go racing Flintstones style".

I know that can't happen because of agreements and contracts, but it's an amusing thought!

yes amusing thought.
By Peter Smit
I'm still confused about what lies Abiteboul is referring to. Everyone knows the Renault PU is behind, as far as the articles Ive seen, no one has explicitly stated that is RBR's only issue. The only thing in the articles is the 'no light at the end of the tunnel' comment which to be a lie, Renault must be on the way to fixing the engine problems but Abiteboul gives no indication of that.

yes Renault's engine isn't that great, they are under pressure to improve it from Redbull. But though they are partners as the chassis and rear of the car is not really part of the engine why Renault know about it? oh if he knows he has revealed the main weakness to everyone now, in a blame game that Redbull started, they blame each other for the shortcomings of the car this year. But Redbull should have known that a Renault road car and a Mercedes road car the speed is different, and Mercedes always has the advantage in speed, when Mercedes came into F1 they should have been in the forefront to make a deal with Mercedes to be their engine supplier.

Now they can only hope the FIA steps in and force Mercedes to make their engine goes slower. Thats what they are working on, but meanwhile, Ferrari built an engine themselves and its not as fast as Mercedes but its better then Renault, perhaps they do that if FIA cannot change the rules engine speed.
By Peter Smit
Anxious to see how this plays out?!

Its just a blame game Redbull blame Renault and Renault retaliate in kind, because they don't want to take all the responsibility for the failings.
By myownalias
The thing is that Red Bull pushed Renault to bring an untested engine to Melbourne, so Red Bull have no-one to blame but themselves, Malaysia might be a different story.

But you're right, no one wants to accept blame, the reality is that it's six of one, half dozen of the other when it comes to fault for Red Bull's poor outing in Australia.
By Jamie
Slightly behind on this gents so I apologise in advance.

Given the preseason testing they struggled and it was easy to see but since then it has just been about blows that they can both make at each other which to me seems pathetic, suggesting Newey is a liar is just childish, if that is true then surely these sorts of matters need to be dealt with internally rather than leaking it out through social outlets?

The performance hasn't been great and it's another controversial story that some enjoy and some detest but I find this particular matter has been handled poorly from both parties.... (Red-Bull & Renault)

Each team goes through difficult periods, look at Williams....
By myownalias
Help the old newby remember............Red Bull and Baby Bull only two teams running Renault?

Yes, and the power unit didn't look too shabby in the back of the Toro Rosso!
By Jamie
Help the old newby remember............Red Bull and Baby Bull only two teams running Renault?

Yes, and the power unit didn't look too shabby in the back of the Toro Rosso!

A case of finger pointing.... They need to come together and sort this issue, it rings true if the spirit that when things are difficult they want to pull the plug?

Williams for example went through various engine manufacturers,(5 to be precise since the successful days of BMW) They kept plodding along and have became a well structured team that I have fell in love with once more..... Red-Bull are being pretty childish..... I guess this shows what the team are truly like.....

Red-Bull were close to creating there own engine? Any updates on that? :confused:
By myownalias
You can't really compare Williams and Red Bull, I don't believe I have ever heard the words "quit F1" come out of a Williams' mouth! Frank and Claire Williams are racers through and through, they turn up and try to achieve the best result possible given whatever situation they are in. Red Bull are like Ferrari (of old?) in many ways throwing the toys out the pram when they don't get their way! And for that, I say, stop threatening and just do it, instead of playing the victim, there are ups and downs in F1, live with it!
By Jamie
You can't really compare Williams and Red Bull, I don't believe I have ever heard the words "quit F1" come out of a Williams' mouth! Frank and Claire Williams are racers through and through, they turn up and try to achieve the best result possible given whatever situation they are in. Red Bull are like Ferrari (of old?) in many ways throwing the toys out the pram when they don't get their way! And for that, I say, stop threatening and just do it, instead of playing the victim, there are ups and downs in F1, live with it!

That is what i wanted to get across....they are racers, they don't moan they just get on with it and that is the attitude i like, Frank Williams has a team with a wealth of experience that can't be replicated, they have been 1st and last and they are still here today pushing to win....Red-Bull have had there own way for 4 years and last year they could challenge for 3 wins and come the first race they weren't anywhere in site and they threaten to leave? Pathetic.

Did Mercedes moan when they had Nico & Schumi and they were no where? no, they persisted and built a reputable team....Red-Bull have gone through that phase and sadly things have came together the way they wanted but there is no reason to threaten to leave?

Get on with it, work with your engine supplier and try to win.... :director:

See our F1 related articles too!