FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By sagi58
 wrote:">Pirelli sticks with same tyre choices for first four races

Pirelli has nominated the same tyre choices as last year for the first four races of the Formula One championship, starting with the Australian Grand Prix next week, the tyre supplier said on Wednesday.

Medium and soft compounds will be used on Melbourne's Albert Park circuit on March 15, before a switch to medium and hard compounds for the Malaysian GP two weeks later. The Sepang circuit in Kuala Lumpur is known for its abrasive asphalt and high temperatures.

Medium and softs return for the following two races in China on April 12 -- a race which often sees high degradation because of the track's demanding layout -- and in Bahrain a week later.

The Bahrain GP, which starts in the late afternoon and ends in the evening, is tough on the rear tyres.
By myownalias
I always thought that white and silver seemed like odd bedfellows, I would have though maybe green would work better, it's hard to tell between silver and white when on the car.
By darwin dali
I always thought that white and silver seemed like odd bedfellows, I would have though maybe green would work better, it's hard to tell between silver and white when on the car.

I agree!
Or how about fuchsia? :cloud9:
By myownalias

I agree!
Or how about fuchsia? :cloud9:

:hehe: That would be rather apt for the hard compound!
By CigarGuy
Thanks for the reminder, Sagi. <rubbing forehead, vigorously> There is SO much to know/remember..........
By racechick
There are no silver tyres, nor were there last season. This season is the same as last and they are this

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By darwin dali
There are no silver tyres, nor were there last season. This season is the same as last and they are this

image.jpg

You're right of course, rc.

From left to right: Wet, Intermediate, Hard, Medium, Soft, Super Soft.

Here are the past colors:

** Hard compound tyres were silver for the 2011 and 2012 season.
*** Intermediate tyres were blue for the 2011 season
**** Wet tyres were orange for the 2011 season.
By CigarGuy
Are the wet always there as a third choice?
Diff between intermediate and medium?
By myownalias
Wet's & Intermediate tyres are only available should conditions dictate, e.g the track is wet.

If wet or intermediate tyres are used in the race then the need to use both dry compounds goes away.
By darwin dali
Wets and intermediates have a tread while the others are slick.
I suppose the wet and intermediate tires are always an option if rain is on the menu. Once the race director declares a race a wet race, then the requirement of using the prime and option tires at least once during the race is null and void.
By CigarGuy
I suppose the wet and intermediate tires are always an option if rain is on the menu. Once the race director declares a race a wet race, then the requirement of using the prime and option tires at least once during the race is null and void.

So, the wets would be a third option once rain starts after the race and they had already declared the two dry tyres?
But if it's wet to start, it's only wets and one other dry tyre?
By darwin dali

So, the wets would be a third option once rain starts after the race and they had already declared the two dry tyres?

No, once it's wet, it's up to the team/driver to pick which tire - intermediate or full wet (except I think if the race director says it's a wet tire race for safety reasons, but then the pace car is usually out anyway).
Once the track dries up, the team/driver can use either of the prime or option or both, as the requirement for using both is not in place anymore.
By CigarGuy

No, once it's wet, it's up to the team/driver to pick which tire - intermediate or full wet (except I think if the race director says it's a wet tire race for safety reasons, but then the pace car is usually out anyway).
Once the track dries up, the team/driver can use either of the prime or option or both, as the requirement for using both is not in place anymore.

Got it.....I think....
Boy, the strategery adds so much to the race?!

See our F1 related articles too!