FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
I love the new Sauber design. Some reason, it brings back shades of the previous blue Sauber, last seen in 2005 (ten years?).

classic Sauber blue from 2001

Ferraris boss thinks this guy is sexy as hell.
First time I have seen these new liveries. A bit disappointed with McLaren though, Thought they would do something a bit different with the return of Honda but all they did was give it a hint of red, other than that its still same old livery.
Not keen on Force India's new livery, I prefer there white/green/orange liveries from the past, And Sauber going back to blue like they did back in the 2000s which is nice but it does look like it belongs in GP2, does need more sponsors on it.
From my observations so far...

It appears as though Mercedes have sacrificed some of their aero for some better cooling or done something with their turbo (made it bigger?).

Williams seem to of done a similar but it's still not as tightly packed as the Merc, however they are diverting more air than Mercedes down towards the diffuser.

Ferrari appear to have slimmed down their car but made it wider throughout the rear, more similar to Mercedes than Williams, it might be for balance purposes as it should theoretically balance the car out a bit especially considering their car had good rear mechanical grip last but poor front end and we all know both Vettel & Raikkonen really want a balanced but slightly front end car... where as Alonso likes a rear end car.

The McLaren looks like one of the tightest packed cars at the rear but they've made the ridge of the car much bigger, like they've put something above the engine... which could be interesting, they look like they've got good downforce but the car looks like it's very much a rear end car again probably because of Alonso. I'm impressed by the appearance of the McLaren now we just need to see how fast the Engine is.

The Force India looks probably the most neutral of all the cars, the only thing that looks intersting is the fact they've split the airflow going towards the rear just like Mercedes (Ferrari also have done it but not so much)

Lotus have gone for a very unusual aero design, it's hard to tell if it's good or bad, just that they're trying to fan airflow all over the rear instead of to small areas like all the other teams do.

Sauber's design looks pretty meh, one thing that's interesting is they're sitting quite high of the floor and have added a weird quite thick block at the front of their undertray, maybe trying to get more airflow to go to the lower rear of the diffuser.

Also what the hell is with these shocking designers for the liveries... 5/7 designs so far are incredibly dull, lots of black. A team should ask fans to design their car around their sponsors logos and see what the fans come up with because every fan design so far has been SIGNIFICANTLY better than the official design.
I've just looked a bunch more pictures and comparisons and if the Honda engine is any good then it's going to be a fight between McLaren & Mercedes with Lotus being a wildcard. (Although obviously I dont know what the Red Bull is gonna be like yet)

Mercedes have done a lot of work on their front end and reduced airflow intake significantly but widened their rear of the car a bit.

McLaren have by far the skinniest rear, it's super packaged but obviously this can be a problem for heating...

As for the noses... Mercedes --> McLaren --> Lotus have the best designs.
That's some very clever observations RyRy. I can't generally get past nose shape and if it looks nice.
Not a fan of the sauber paintwork. Plus hoping a for their sake they get a few more sponsors by the time the season starts

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
I've just looked a bunch more pictures and comparisons and if the Honda engine is any good then it's going to be a fight between McLaren & Mercedes with Lotus being a wildcard. (Although obviously I dont know what the Red Bull is gonna be like yet)

Mercedes have done a lot of work on their front end and reduced airflow intake significantly but widened their rear of the car a bit.

McLaren have by far the skinniest rear, it's super packaged but obviously this can be a problem for heating...

As for the noses... Mercedes --> McLaren --> Lotus have the best designs.

Good stuff Ry, nice detail. In Mercs case what we are seeing at the rear is most likely an extreme cooling arrangement, and we will see the more familiar rear treatment later. This also happened last year when the different rears made a big difference in appearance from a distance. Merc already mentioned the absence of hot conditions by having a European test and are probably gonna just pretend its very hot anyway
That's some very clever observations RyRy. I can't generally get past nose shape and if it looks nice.

I'm surprised to see McLaren's car looking so thin at the back, they could seriously be a challenger based on the appearance of aero. I hope the Engine is powerful enough because it will be so interesting to see Mercedes get challenged and then the fact that being so tightly packed they could have some serious overheating issues where as Mercedes have gone the opposite way.

Mercedes have had the best nose for the past two years now, I personally don't like how thin this years nose is but the overall shape is better than the rest. Williams and Ferrari have come with the ugliest noses so far...

Gosh, think how exciting this year would be if we had Button + Alonso + Hamilton + Rosberg fighting it out at the front, I'm pretty sure Hamilton and Button would be fair to eachother but both be ruthless with Alonso and Rosberg.

Good stuff Ry, nice detail. In Mercs case what we are seeing at the rear is most likely an extreme cooling arrangement, and we will see the more familiar rear treatment later. This also happened last year when the different rears made a big difference in appearance from a distance. Merc already mentioned the absence of hot conditions by having a European test and are probably gonna just pretend its very hot anyway

It's so obvious how both Ferrari & McLaren have switched around and shows how the cars are very much built around Alonso. Ferrari switched to supporting both drivers, McLaren have switched to supporting Alonso (I fear that Button is going to struggle with a rearwards car considering he's one of the fussiest drivers along with Raikkonen)

I didn't realise Mercedes have alread mentioned that, it shows based on the cars appearance. Especially the airtake above the drivers head.
Mercedes needed to focus on the brake by wire rear and cooling of the rear rotors. That's what caused them three race wins last year. Honda is the unknown quantity but it appear from the bit of reading that all of the engine vendors have upped their power by 40~50 Bhp.
Different view.

interesting stuff going on in the rear wing uprights.
I quite like the appearance of the rear wing and the uprights, it looks odd but interesting.

It will sure be interesting to know the difference between last years engines and this years, we weren't too far off previous years records and just look Rosberg took the pole record for Brazil so with an extra 50+hp we could see some others get beat:D
why not this McLaren? This is GORGEOUS!

image.jpg

Here's Will the journo's view of the lost opportunities by the livery designers to come up with sompething special.

Edit. Oops, forgot to add the link
https://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2 ... ng-boring/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

See our F1 related articles too!