FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Hammer278
Yeah RD has sold a lot of pipe dreams with Honda ribbons already....probably hoping for a sponsor to bite ASAP. For Mclarens sake I hope Honda is actually in control and up to par....or they are all going to look very stupid when the season begins.
Getting super excited about this pairing and how they'll pan out over the season! We know the outcome if the McHonda offering is similar to what they've served up the last couple of years but if they've got a live one, I can't wait to see how they mix it up with the guys up front.
By myownalias
I really hope having a top notch team mate will drive him to be better to beat Alonso. I guess it will also come down to the car, Alonso is superior in terms of wrestling an under-performing car to places where it has no business being, whereas Button needs to a good car underneath him to be at his best. I do hope that McLaren/Honda create a fast stable car so we can see a real battle!
By CookinFlat6
Its going to be a very interesting drama to watch this year. Especially for us neutrals who find both drivers offensive in different ways but are eager to give respect to the driver that does something noble or impressive, and at the same time have a faintly mild interest in the state the team is left in after these 2 get pensioned off and the team try and get Lewis back to create the real legend
In my modest opinion, one could use a biblical reference to rename this thread: Lamb to the Slaughter

Seems fitting as I don't see Button coping much in the head-to-head on track. I suspect we'll be back to hearing about no grip. (Giving some credit, he pulled back on that when he was matching or slightly ahead of our Mags.) As for off-track, Button might be a slippery one but I find his new team-mate to be the modern day mercenary (in all of sport) and one not to be trifled with. (Em...please don't tell my mum I ended a sentence with a preposition.) Jense will be tempted to poke the bear once but as many have found out, once is all it takes. :hehe:

Such fun!
By CookinFlat6
Yup, Alonso is such a craftsman that the only thing that can beat him is pure talent - like Lewis showed in 2007

apart from that, the guy is like a biblical plague, he is like a relentless virus you just cant shake off.

Its like coming home one day to find a guy burgling your place, but doing it with such style that you find yourself standing back to watch, trying not to make noise to put him off, almost wanting to say 'dont miss the 220BC Persian figurines I stashed under the stairs' (Ron can afford it lol)

Lets see how he gets Jenson comfortable with the knee pads, and lets hope Jenson can provide some drama
By Hammer278
I still can't get over the fact that the Fonz himself....is let back into McLarens gates.

And I can't get over the fact that Button.....is still within McLarens gates.

What a team. :hehe:
By racechick
And Jenson hasn't got Whitmarsh there anymore creating a nice fuzzy protective warm bubble around him......that Lewis bounced off and just did the best he could with the car. If he had got whitmarsh and the nice warm bubble , Alonso would take a dirty great knife to that bubble and burst it in an instant.
So how's Jens gonna play this's one?
By Hammer278
And Jenson hasn't got Whitmarsh there anymore creating a nice fuzzy protective warm bubble around him......that Lewis bounced off and just did the best he could with the car. If he had got whitmarsh and the nice warm bubble , Alonso would take a dirty great knife to that bubble and burst it in an instant.
So how's Jens gonna play this's one?

Simply by using his natural speed, tenacious race craft and never-say-die attitude.

:groucho:
By CookinFlat6
This is not even funny, Ferrari turning on Alonso now and basically accusing him of the same thing Jenson was said to be lacking and the main reason to ship Alonso in at huge cost.

So who is right here, Honda? or Ferrari

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/01/30/ex-ferrari-boss-says-alonso-not-a-good-test-driver/

Legendary designer Mauro Forghieri, a key Ferrari figure from the 1960s to the 1980s, said the Spaniard cannot simply blame the team for his failure to add another title to his tally since joining in 2010.

“If for three or four seasons in a row the car has the same problems, that means you are not developing in the right directions, and it’s the driver’s fault,” Forghieri told diariodelweb.it.

Alonso, widely credited as the best driver in F1 today, has returned to McLaren for 2015, despite clashing badly with the British team in 2007.

McLaren’s acting CEO Jonathan Neale told the Mirror: “There has been a lot of speculation about our relationship with Fernando last time but we can confidently put that to one side and say we are just here to get the job done.”

Forghieri, however, is less confident about Alonso’s place within a team.

“Alonso is a great race driver,” he said, “but not a good test driver. Each year, when he shook the car down, he said everything was perfect, then after a few months he began complaining. A real champion is the one who is able to manage the team.”

He said Alonso therefore does not compare with Ferrari’s last great driver.

“Ferrari’s problem in the last few seasons,” claimed Forghieri, “was not having another Schumacher.”
By Hammer278
I'm not really surprised at all with that. The Fonz might drive a bad car really well, but I don't think he is cerebral enough to make a team develop in a certain direction or push them from a good level to an excellent one.

This is probably what he lacked back at McLaren in the first place, and why Lewis managed to catch up to him so quickly. It wasn't just his talent, but the Fonz' inability to extract the best from his machinery.

His championships in 2005 and 2006 were thanks to Kimi's McLaren falling to pieces in every odd GP and Schumacher's Ferrari blowing up in Suzuka.
By CookinFlat6
Technically speaking there is no evidence that Alonso, Button or Kimi have helped a car evolve or develop, whereas technically there is lots of evidence that Lewis, MS and Seb do. And MS' evidence is tarnished by his Merc stint as is Sebs last year, although it could be argued he wasnt listened to because of Danny Ricc.

Alonso is not as flexible as Lewis for sure and its probably true that the Ferrari followed him up a cull de sac unique to him, which would mean Kimi and Seb are in a world of pain this year and Mclaren should actually involve Button in the evolution process afterall

Could get messy all round :hooli-popcorn:
Yeah, I guess whatever they want to say. A faulty wind tunnel and an underpowered PU is Alonso's problem as well. I'm sure they've now got it all under control.
By CookinFlat6
It is strange to diss his 'weak' development skills, yet discount his exemplary driving skills which took the presumably weakly developed Ferrari to a couple of overtakes away from 2 WDCs in the time RBR were running amock.

Good to see the blame game culture that M&M famously set out to dismantle is back in full force

See our F1 related articles too!