FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By What's Burning?
Why not right? I actually thing the qualifying is going to be close, might even tip Button to take the Saturday duels even though we know how it will end on Sundays.

My predictions for the 2015 pairing.
Qualifying Button 12 Alonso 8
Raceday Button 5 Alonso 15
Looking forward to contributing to this thread over the course of 2015. I don't expect Jenson to be wholly shown up by Alonso either.

Whilst I presume Fernando will end up on more points, I don't think the points-gap will be so huge.
By overboost
Looking forward to contributing to this thread over the course of 2015. I don't expect Jenson to be wholly shown up by Alonso either.

Whilst I presume Fernando will end up on more points, I don't think the points-gap will be so huge.

Jenson is very tenacious and Alonso may need some time to adjust. He could make it interesting.
By f1boy
I wasn't impressed with Buttons games with Lewis, but I hope he has a good year in 2015.

Alonso is a very good driver, but he seems to be getting a bit desperate to get another championship.
He could put too much pressure on himself in 2015.
By myownalias
I would love to say that Jenson will beat Fernando, but I don't think it will happen, Alonso is the better driver by far. I believe the only way that Jenson will beat Fernando is if the Spaniard has a meltdown ala 2007. But I do believe that Jenson will keep Fernando honest overall, I don't see it being a 2014 Kimi/Fernando type of whitewash!
... I do believe that Jenson will keep Fernando honest overall, I don't see it being a 2014 Kimi/Fernando type of whitewash!

Agreed! :yes:
By Hammer278

Jenson is very tenacious and Alonso may need some time to adjust. He could make it interesting.

By CookinFlat6
I think what a lot of people forget about Jenson is that his ability has never been in doubt, but its the application of that ability that has always raised derision (from me anyway). The whole cliche about been very good when everything is perfect is not a minor one. last year (after his kick up the bum) we saw Jenson probably at his most productive, but this was in a team he led and with an incident prone rookie driver who was largely unable to shape the teams circumstance and resource around himself.
This is good for Jensons comfort zone but bad for the team because without a 'set up' driver like Lewis or even Reubens around Jensons direction will flounder as his sweet spot is a very small moving target

So we all look at Alonso next to Jenson and think of the jenson who is on it and conclude he could give Alonso a fight. However if we look at the reality of a Jenson who is not the prime driver and who has to go along with the direction of the prime driver then I am going to say right now that Jenson will likely flounder this year most of the time especially the more the season progresses.

Already we hear McLaren admit that the new car is already evolved with Alonso in mind. We know that Mac/Honda have been working on this car with more resource than they did on the 2014 car. It would make sense why they chased alonso so hard and also fits in with th claim that they first spoke to him over a year ago. Finally we have McLaren now saying that they have changed their production value wrt building the chassis for the drieveability of their driver rather than for outright performance - i.e from make it as fast as it goes and let the driver tame it towards make it do what a fast driver wants then make it faster

The Mp4-30 is going to be an Alonso glove and Jenson will have to drive like Alonso to get the best out of it. But Jenson doesnt have Alonsos range and Alonso with a car built around his pretty unique technical preferences is a very dangerous beast indeed - like Seb and his rear DF trick diffuser only much less dependent on any 1 trick

So my prediction for this pairing, after a lot of thought is that the more into the season the more Alonso is gonna do a Kimi on Jenson. Alonso will have what he was missing at ferrari, a competent technical staff jumping to his direction without question and Jenson will have to dig deep within the setup parameters available to him.

It wont be a fair fight at all
By racechick
And if it comes to the thorny question of data sharing regarding setup issues, I imagine Alonso will just issue a curt, accented 'NO'.
By CookinFlat6
The last thing Jenson should want after seeing Kimi last year, is to try use Alonsos settings. Unless he wants to try and do what Kimi couldnt - drive like Alonso from race to race, then he needs to be seting up for himself as best as he can with what Alonso lets him have

Lets face it Kimi wasnt just unable to compete last year, Alonso 'didnt help' him get 'comfortable' with the car

Maybe thats the difference with Alonso and Lewis - Lewis drove his setup preferences and drove Buttons as well, Alonso could drive Kimis but didnt and so the car never worked for Kimi, even the one weekend he thought he had a hang of it Alonso had something changed next weekend - I mean how can a WDC like Kimi still be unable to adapt after 18 races? Alonso exploiting the zone he and Lewis can operate in but no others

Put it this way imagine what Button would have been like in 2012 if the car had been evolved around the things Lewis can do but not Jenson? - Lewis WDC, Button = Kimi
By racechick
Don't start me on 2012! :hehe: but that is where alonso and Lewis differ. Alonso is more ruthless in exploiting his talent. lewis just relies on the fact he has it.
By myownalias
Dare I say that JB won't need to use Alonso's settings, JB seems to be much more comfortable in the new V6T Hybrid formula than he was with the V8 formula, we didn't hear anywhere near as many lack of grip complaints during 2014. In the right car, Jenson can beat anyone, including the cream of F1!
Well jeez, in the right car being the underlining idea there, even Rosberg beat Hamilton 5 times on Sunday. I think Button will likely have his best year next year, he's got the incentive but my expectation is that McLaren will show up with the 3rd or 4th best car on the grid, and in those situations it's Alonso that will put the car on the podium every now and then.

I'm actually looking forward to this pairing more than to the Ferrari pairing because I'll be rooting for McLaren.
By CookinFlat6
In the right car, Jenson can beat anyone, including the cream of F1!

Not if they also have the right car cos they all tend to be faster (braver) than our Jense
By Jabberwocky
Well jeez, in the right car being the underlining idea there, even Rosberg beat Hamilton 5 times on Sunday. I think Button will likely have his best year next year, he's got the incentive but my expectation is that McLaren will show up with the 3rd or 4th best car on the grid, and in those situations it's Alonso that will put the car on the podium every now and then.

I'm actually looking forward to this pairing more than to the Ferrari pairing because I'll be rooting for McLaren.

You have a lot of faith in Honda

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

See our F1 related articles too!