FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
If you has a workable budget given for today's environment in the sport, but obviously limited. Who'd you pick to drive for you?

With a little deliberation but without doubt, I'd go for Grossjean and Hulkenberg. I think they'd be inexpensive, able to grab and hold them long term and they have a good racers edge but with the consistency and blame free feedback to genuinely develop a car.
I'd have Lewis :D he'd do me a cheap deal. And next to him I'd have one of the newbies that's in the wings waiting. Maybe give one of the up and coming girls a run. Marketing dream!!

If You won't let me have Lewis, I'll go have a serious think about it.,
Ok, so I can't have Lewis , you meanies!! And I only have a bit of money, and my car needs developing. I'd have Grosjean..he was good when the car was, he's learnt a lot and would lead the team. Alongside him would be a complete gamble. He'd be cheap and he could be stunning, if he wasn't, it wouldn't matter, nothing lost because I'm still developing my car. I'd promote Jann Mardenborough from GP3 ( the gamer who rose through the ranks in less than two years)
I doubt they'd come cheap Jab. Second drawer drivers!
I would be looking for the best Chinese racing gamer I could find along the lines of discovering a Jan M. Then I would do the same for an African and Indian. To those 3 I would add another 2 from anywhere at all as long as they beat 100s of thousands of other competitors online etc. Then I would pay these guys (girls as well if possible) a few IOUs and lots of playstation games and pay their expenses. They would be rotated through the season practically each session - cut throat rivalry and competition amongst them, even for the window bunk bed in the hostel I put them up at. To harvest points and keep the troops in line I would take Hulk and pay him per points scored, ofcourse if he didnt score any points he would still get fed and accommodation costs and maybe even some pocket money, so the others have something to aspire to

The rest I would spend on the car, I would be looking for staff or engineers who have fallen out with a top team for political reasons, I would be looking for the cleverest minorities who are feeling uncomfortable in a top team, I would be looking for the bright women who got passed over because they were women. I wouldnt pay them all too much though, only the ones that complain or moan, the nice ones would get nothing but minimum wage if possible

For parts and the expensive kit I needed I would get the best stuff from all the top companies however I could, then when it came to paying I would say i couldnt, but could offer sponsorship on the cars instead, and if they got heavy about their money Id tel everyone they supplied me with duff stuff because I am in a limited budget

That would be for the first year ofcourse, depending how far up the grid my motley crew got us, the next year would be completely different strategically, but hopefully at least one of my rotation drivers would have had looked spectacularly good at some pint, so I would be looking to offload him to a team with money but not much sense, so that I could repurchase him at a knock down price the season after - maybe Ferrari
Last edited by CookinFlat6 on 27 Nov 14, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

See our F1 related articles too!