FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.

Ron doesnt much believe in using vaseline when it comes to drivers or staff who could move to a competitor with McLaren knowledge etc

Ouch - what a brute! :yikes:

Do you think he means Ron doesn't use vaseline to keep his hands from becoming chapped?

:rofl::rofl:

Lets put it in a more gentle and civilised way - When Ron concludes a financial deal with some people, he is not much concerned about their comfort or the state he leaves them in afterwards. No dinner, romance or counselling, and nothing to ease a one way forced outcome of said deal.

phew, the guy sounds like an angel now :hehe:
Former Formula 1 driver Johnny Herbert says "it's a no-brainer" that McLaren should retain Jenson Button as they need a "calming presence" to counter a "disruptive" Fernando Alonso.

:yikes: whats johnny saying here, that Alonso needs a Massa, how is Button going to calm Alonso down? what can he offer to Alonso to work out his frustrations on??? a foot massage?

or does he mean..... :yikes: ...nah..... :yikes:

' Jenson, a frustrated Fernando is behind you and needs to be calmed down, do you understand?'

Former Formula 1 driver Johnny Herbert says "it's a no-brainer" that McLaren should retain Jenson Button as they need a "calming presence" to counter a "disruptive" Fernando Alonso.

:yikes: whats johnny saying here, that Alonso needs a Massa, how is Button going to calm Alonso down? what can he offer to Alonso to work out his frustrations on??? a foot massage?

or does he mean..... :yikes: ...nah..... :yikes:

' Jenson, a frustrated Fernando is behind you and needs to be calmed down, do you understand?'

Jenson rolls up along side Alonso, and out of his cockpit reaches out a retractable arm with a mickey mouse style glove on the end, then just pat him on the head.
Its sad when a WDC is being seriously suggested as employable simply to attend to the needs of the number 1 driver.

At Ferrari we saw Massa pull over, drop grid spots, provide towing, it doesnt bear thinking about to what lengths Button could go to keep his seat. Maybe those are his real hidden talents, they did work with the easily excitable and recently terminated TP

Maybe undignified isnt the word for this charade, maybe debasing is better
Since McLaren doesn't have a 1-2 driver philosophy,
all they need to decide is whether they want Button's
experience to complement Alonso's or if they want
Magnussen's youth with an eye towards developing
his talents for the future.

No drama necessary!
Mclaren may not have a one/two philosophy, but Alonso does.
Ultimately it comes down to pay - the number 1 gets paid much much more than a number 2. If the amounts are similar then it would be a no1/no1 situation.

It wouldnt make business sense to have a driver on 30x the others wage and not revolve things around him

You dont pay a guy 30x the other guy and then allow the cheap water carrier to disrupt or even take points of your star

just like Button has pointed out often this year, he has had to lead the development and lead the whole team as the rookie on 1/30 th of his wage was still coming up to speed.

This is something Ferrari fans kept pointing out for justification of Massa subjugation but there are short memories in lalaland
:rofl: :rofl:

Lets put it in a more gentle and civilised way - When Ron concludes a financial deal with some people, he is not much concerned about their comfort or the state he leaves them in afterwards. No dinner, romance or counselling, and nothing to ease a one way forced outcome of said deal.

phew, the guy sounds like an angel now :hehe:

Cookin, do you mean buggering? :blush:
Its part of a financial lexicon used originally by mergers and acquisitions guys ages ago, using the dinner and date and then conclusion allegory to describe a successful merger, however since then some business deals have taken it all to a new level
Latest on Macca 2015 line up

Q: (Andrew Benson - BBC Sport) Jenson, are you prepared to wait for McLaren to make their decision? Do you want to stay in Formula One before anything else or will there come a point where you want to take the decision out of their hands?

JB: It's been an interesting few months. When you're in Formula One for so many years - 15 years - you have blinkers on in terms of anything else apart from Formula One. This is the best sport in the world, this is your life, this is everything. But when you are put in an uncomfortable situation obviously your eyes are opened to other possibilities. And there are a lot of challenges out there, whether it's in motorsport or other sport or something else altogether. I'm open to many things in life and, for me, I love what I do for a living. I love racing in Formula One and the time I've spent with McLaren has been great. The last two years have been a bit tricky in terms of results but in terms of the personnel, they're mega. We had a barbecue last night and there's such a good atmosphere in this team. It is like a big family. So, I've loved working with them. Will I wait for the decision? That's something I can't comment on right now.

Not sure Jenson gets it, :director: no amount of steak dinners and getting on with the team substitutes for the driving skills the moody and disruptive Hamiltons and Alonsos bring, only one type of TP ever bought it and he doesnt even have a pass to the races nowadays

Q: (Frederic Ferret - L'Equipe) Fernando, if you have the possibility to chose your teammate for next year, would you chose Jenson?

FA: Hmm.

JB: Take your time!

FA: I don't know where I will be so... We will see.

Alonso, now he has committed, cant be bothered with the encouragement for Jenson who is already eagerly slipping into the lapdog role

To be fair to Jenson though, he isnt falling into Rons trap and laying into the team or making threats about the final race, he is making it clear he is ready to roll over

He's still a gonna though :hehe:
Ultimately it comes down to pay - the number 1 gets paid much much more than a number 2. If the amounts are similar then it would be a no1/no1 situation.

It wouldnt make business sense to have a driver on 30x the others wage and not revolve things around him

You dont pay a guy 30x the other guy and then allow the cheap water carrier to disrupt or even take points of your star

just like Button has pointed out often this year, he has had to lead the development and lead the whole team as the rookie on 1/30 th of his wage was still coming up to speed.

This is something Ferrari fans kept pointing out for justification of Massa subjugation but there are short memories in lalaland

I see that when it's convenient, everyone gets it!! :thumbup:
people get things in its context, in lalaland they get what was in context about 3 years behind normal folk,

i.e when its illegal to have team orders, they dont understand what team orders are, and later when its legal they dont even know what a number 1 driver means or the difference between an engine and a car
people get things in its context, in lalaland they get what was in context about 3 years behind normal folk,

i.e when its illegal to have team orders, they dont understand what team orders are, and later when its legal they dont even know what a number 1 driver means or the difference between an engine and a car

Everyone on the grid understands team orders. Many understand signals, code words, etc
that can be used in the place of a clear directive. There are also those who understand
hypocricy, thus the team order ban was rescinded.
Wasn't the ban recinded because Ferrari made a mockery of it? And didn't it come initially to curb Ferrari's excessive use of team orders?

EDIT: :spaz: This is the mclaren driver thread. How did I get on to team orders? :confused: it's early in the morning, that must be it.

See our F1 related articles too!