FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Setting up a good place where we can funnel all sorts of discussion to once the season officially comes to an end. With the exception of Williams, Daniel Ricciardo, Daniil Kvyat, Force India, Marussia and of course Mercedes... the 2014 season must have felt something like this.

If you listen very closely about a minute after the collapse, you will hear a very muffled voice with a Finnish accent say, "Terrible understeer! OK, I admit it...I don't know what I was doing. Is Massa OK?"

:hehe: Such fun...
PERSONALLY...

The lack of competition has made this just as "boring" as the last few years when Red Bull was dominating.

Now I understand how so many F1 fans felt when it was Ferrari/Schumi taking all the honours.
Too bad I wasn't able to enjoy those years; but, I have every confidence the tide will turn.

Enjoy! :wavey:
By LRW
PERSONALLY...

The lack of competition has made this just as "boring" as the last few years when Red Bull was dominating.

Now I understand how so many F1 fans felt when it was Ferrari/Schumi taking all the honours.
Too bad I wasn't able to enjoy those years; but, I have every confidence the tide will turn.

PERSONALLY...

The lack of Ferrari's engineering ability to produce a competitive car, has made this no where near as "boring" as the last few years when Red Bull was dominating.
PERSONALLY...

PERSONALLY...

The lack of Ferrari's engineering ability to produce a competitive car, has made this no where near as "boring" as the last few years when Red Bull was dominating.

True. But, then, this isn't the last season of F1, is it?

By the way, thanks for the reminder! It's time to change my signature back!
PERSONALLY...

PERSONALLY...

Exactly, at least last season Ferrari was third and even snuck in a win or two... This year, not so much.
PERSONALLY...

According to an extremely reliable source(s) in this forum, F1 will be dust in less than 20 years. Can Ferrari pick their ar$e up before then? You better hope so. :hehe:
There is no reason to believe Ferrari will not have left by then. We know how many times de Montzedodo spkoke about leaving if they werent allowed to win. And the new management have already proven they will do what they want without sweet talking the likes of Alonso

Why would they stay if they continue to spend the most money and are in the mid grid, Sergio has already said the grid position cannot be allowed to tarnish the locked in value in the Ferrari brand. Therefore there are only 2 options - start winning or leave - and the timeframe for either will have to be decided on results year to year

:hooli-popcorn:
They just werent very good at it with Montezedodo in charge. Instead of letting his engineers loose on sims and wind tunnels and tech, his idea was to dream about leaving F1 and go over to dominate LMP1 because they allowed noble ICE engine makers to experiment and push the technology boundaries with things like biofuels, whereas F1 was pandering to the mere car manufacturers with silly gadgets like electric hybrid technology and fuel efficiency
And Ferraris strenght apparently are in pushing the limits of ICE engine building along with the other visionaries in LMP1

Since then Audi have completely dumped their short experiment with bio diesel and have fully embraced ERS technology, in fact the latest variant of their prototype is called the E tron. And Porsche didnt even bother with the nonsense

Oh well, it was a narrow escape for zedodo, imagine flipping over to LMP1 just as they all go hybrid

Doesnt anyone want to make these technology pushing high tech ICE engines anymore?? surely the mere mass car makers cant know more than the loyal noble grandee of the F1 mid grid???
OK here is my summary of 2014 so far.

Has the season been boring... hmm it has not been the most exciting but it has not been the most boring. Is it due to Mercedes dominance? Yes and No. Having a dominant team does not make it boring, however every race for some reason or other we are robbed of a titanic battle from the Mercedes boys. So the only way to bring more people into the mix is to have more cars running at the same level. So a less dominance would of helped this. Is that Mercedes fault? Nope, they did there job correctly. Everyone else dropped the ball.

However the racing from 3rd back has been good all year. A lot better than I expected from pre season testing. Let's face it people talked about single digit finishers
I agree totally Jabs in that somehow Merc didnt supply us 15 Bharains. And because of that another team close enought to the Mercs was missed. However instead of that we did have some great inter team fights in a couple other teams but again none gave us too many of those, yet we would have to admit that pound for pound Merc have still given us the best teammate fight. Ferrari - lol, Red Bull - only a sniff, otherwise it was chesire tanning Seb silly all season, McLaren - Mags gave us a few spots, his teammate only overtakes or fights off track, or squeals on the radio if his teammate gets close to him so that was never gonna deliver, Williams, Bottas was in a different class again, Force India - car too incosistent, Lotus - did they race?
Ladies and gents, I have to take a broader view on this topic. I find myself posing the question: When was the last time we had a really "exciting" F1 season? I would have to go back a few decades but even so, F1 has always been about dominance in one form or another...whether the spotlight is focused on a particular car, team or driver. What we have today is no different than yesteryear. F1 has always been about going "coursing"...having a hare out front and dags (dogs) chasing it. In this "SNATCH" (a movie starring Brad Pitt and Jason Statham) reference, Mercedes is the hare in 2014. In previous years the hare was easily Vettel/Red Bull, Schumacher/Ferrari, Senna/Williams and so on. Granted, a few seasons ended in spectacular fashion. Raised a few pulses. Look no further than the year the world thought Massa won the Championship until the last lap, last corner came one Lewis Hamilton on the scene to remind us all he was bound to win it all. That sort of climax has since only been realized within the confines of our bedrooms or backseats...if we're all so lucky.

My point? What we have is what we've always had. It's what this sport is and likely will never change. Sometimes the villain is a winner or it's a sore loser but we always have at least one of each in every season, most of the time masked by some form of dominance. (Something for which our DD is all too familiar.) Enjoy what you have while you have it.

Such fun!

PS. If you haven't seen SNATCH (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0208092/), you absolutely must. It's a cult classic that will give you a new appreciation for Russians, pikies, pig farmers and the true meaning of the word "nemesis". You're welcome. :hehe:
The pikies are the best - remind me of Bernie. And I love the part when the 3 hapless robbers are sat in the car, and one guy says lock the door or something - so no one mugs us, and the other guy says :rolleyes: you really think anyone is gonna choose to mug 3 guys with balaclavers and shotguns sat in a car outside a jewellers shop :rofl:
The pikies are the best - remind me of Bernie. And I love the part when the 3 hapless robbers are sat in the car, and one guy says lock the door or something - so no one mugs us, and the other guy says :rolleyes: you really think anyone is gonna choose to mug 3 guys with balaclavers and shotguns sat in a car outside a jewellers shop :rofl:

Put a pair of thick glasses on Ron Dennis = Bricktop. :rofl:

See our F1 related articles too!