FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
I gotta say this descision by Vettel/Red Bull to sit out qualifying and start from pit lane is a pretty sorry state. Way to give the fans as "show" as him starting from the pits is going to affect anything. :rolleyes:

Wait, what? Where'd you hear this.

I was just thinking, Merc should rebuild both their cars in Abu Dhabi and start both from the pitlane (person who starts ahead depends on who set the faster FP3 times). :twisted: Reason....to ensure reliability and to provide one hell of a show for fans on Raceday. :thumbup:
He's getting hit with a bunch of grid spot penalties because of a 6th ICE and perhaps some other cmponent. So Red Bull's plan I guess is to tweek the car for race day.

At least Daniel Ricciardo gets another notch in his sound trounce season on a teammate that was touted as a Q master... the best the sport had ever seen. Yeap, the best the sport had ever seen.
Its sad to say, but I really dont think this weekend is going to miss Caterham or Marussia.

They are very rarely covered in the race or quali - and when they are its mainly for the fact they are in the way of one of the front runners.

I bet you the last thing we will be talking about post-race is: "wow the race was lacking today because Max wasnt there...."
I'm sure they'll spend the same amount of time talking about Vettel not participating in qualifying, as Caterham and Marussia not participating.

The fans will have to make due with last year's memories I guess.

[youtube]p_vqZk3fFvE[/youtube]
He's getting hit with a bunch of grid spot penalties because of a 6th ICE and perhaps some other cmponent. So Red Bull's plan I guess is to tweek the car for race day.

IIRC he's about to hit 6 on one of his components so will get a penalty but what Red Bull are thinking is to change the entire set of engine components and not bother with qualifying at all. Gives them a entirely fresh unit and loads of tyres to play with instead of doing quali and possibly dropping to the back whilst wasting a few sets of tyres that he could use in the race.
I gotta say this descision by Vettel/Red Bull to sit out qualifying and start from pit lane is a pretty sorry state. Way to give the fans as "show" as him starting from the pits is going to affect anything. :rolleyes:

Well unless Vettel qualifies in the top 7 he will start last anyway. And since he needs to use a 6th engine he obviously doesnt have a lot of (if any) life in the other 5. So Red Bull are clearly going to minimise his mileage this weekend and try to get the engine through the last 3 races. My guess is he will use an old engine in FP1/2 and if it dies it dies. Then the new engine only has to do a dozen laps in FP3 and the race, and the last 2 race weekends.

Well unless Vettel qualifies in the top 7 he will start last anyway. And since he needs to use a 6th engine he obviously doesnt have a lot of (if any) life in the other 5. So Red Bull are clearly going to minimise his mileage this weekend and try to get the engine through the last 3 races. My guess is he will use an old engine in FP1/2 and if it dies it dies. Then the new engine only has to do a dozen laps in FP3 and the race, and the last 2 race weekends.

I know the reasoning, what I don't understand is why. What does it matter? Who cares? He's not gaining anything, not helping the team to gain anything and the fans lose out on seeing the guy a lot of people were calling the greatest qualifier of all time, from qualifying. Maybe he wants to try and come in 4th in the WCC instead of 5th. :thumbup:
So in Q1, without Caterham, Marussia, and Vettel. Getting to Q2 will be a doddle.

I heard they're talking about changing the format to a 4 out in Q1 and 4 out in Q2.

I know the reasoning, what I don't understand is why. What does it matter? Who cares? He's not gaining anything, not helping the team to gain anything and the fans lose out on seeing the guy a lot of people were calling the greatest qualifier of all time, from qualifying. Maybe he wants to try and come in 4th in the WCC instead of 5th. :thumbup:

This is just an example of another arbitrary stupid rule that is taking away from the racing this season which has been dull to begin with.

Engine component rule keeping top qually driver out of qually
Double points making the wdc a lottery
Engine freeze preventing teams from competing (& Merc given a veto!)
Fuel saving modes instead of passing!
Severely restricted testing hampering development

Lets hope that F1 can survive this dismal season and regroup over the off season.
Not for nothing OB but I believe you're zero for five with your examples...

He's not being forced to do this, it's his choice, his fans miss out, no one else to blame there as it serves absolutely no function.

It's not a lottery, only two drivers can win, a lottery would imply that anyone could win. The only fault with it at this point is it's giving an undeserving driver an oportunity to win should his teammate befall bad luck in that race.

Ferrari and Renault also have a veto, not just Mercedes as any change has to be unanimous. Next year even Honda will have a veto.

This is an integral aspect of racing, there's always been cars running out of gas before the end of a race.

This rule has been in effect for years and years now and there's actually more testing this year than in years past.

Lets hope that F1 can survive this dismal season and regroup over the off season.

I get a sense that we're not watching the same sport, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
This is just an example of another arbitrary stupid rule that is taking away from the racing this season which has been dull to begin with.

:screwy:

What WB said.

:screwy:

What WB said.

:yes: +1
Not for nothing OB but I believe you're zero for five with your examples...

He's not being forced to do this, it's his choice, his fans miss out, no one else to blame there as it serves absolutely no function.

It's not a lottery, only two drivers can win, a lottery would imply that anyone could win. The only fault with it at this point is it's giving an undeserving driver an oportunity to win should his teammate befall bad luck in that race.

Ferrari and Renault also have a veto, not just Mercedes as any change has to be unanimous. Next year even Honda will have a veto.

This is an integral aspect of racing, there's always been cars running out of gas before the end of a race.

This rule has been in effect for years and years now and there's actually more testing this year than in years past.

I get a sense that we're not watching the same sport, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Agree with this WB. I'd also like to add that the reason Vettel has the penalty is he has had to use more engines than he is allowed. If there was no penalty for it then every team would just take a fresh engine every race, which isn't financially sustainable really. Two teams cant cope with paying for 5 engines per season so imagine if they had to pay for 19/20...
Spot on Ferrari man! :yes:

See our F1 related articles too!