FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By CookinFlat6
2015 promises to be a very exciting year for those interested in the power unit side of current F1. Not only have we seen 3 different makers arrive in 2014 with different results, we have also witnessed the bootstrapping of Renault, playing catchup.

in 2015 we get to see if Merc keep the same advantage and if the other 2 can catchup. Most exciting we see the Honda effort after a year of watching the others from the sideline. Why should Hondas be a challenge? because they are the biggest producers of engines in the world and are the world leader in hybrid electricity research and manufacturing. - why are they likely to struggle? - because they are a whole year behind on actual ontrack racing conditions development. And we already know that to match the Mercs would require more than 'another project' and more 'throw everything at it'

Seems Honda are already months behind, and more worriyngly, Arai originally seemed to say they were looking to be the best from year 1, and more recently is more on about taking years to evolve 'properly' and be a usefull PU supplier.

So I reckon the Honda unit will be behind Renault and/or Ferrari at the start of testing, depending how those 2 improve on 2014

(looks a bit like the Renault unit :scratchchin: )

More from Honda here http://world.honda.com/Formula-1/powerunit/
Saw the pic this morning. Looks like they split the turbo a la Merc. It's a tall order since all of the engine manufacturers will be far ahead of where they are this year and next year there will be another free after a certain date. My biggest concern with Honda is that limiting themselves to one team means a greatly reduced amount of data coming in from customers.

I also wonder if one or more of the current Renault customers will jump ship now that Merc can support another team and teams like Caterham knowing they can get a cheaper and more powerful engine if they switch away from Renault.

See our F1 related articles too!