FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Kobayashi's podium in Suzuka in 2012 was one of the season highlights for me.

Just hoping he gets to drive on Sunday in front of his home fans.

Hope so. He's a very good driver and one who's prepared to push the limits. It's a shame he hasn't got a better drive while less worthy drivers have.

It's strange how this circuit is just super for Japanese drivers in F1. Takuma Sato who was rubbishly inconsistent kicked a$$ here twice in consecutive years picking up strong points in rubbish cars....and Koba's only podium that season was here as well.

Caterham should put him in...maybe he could nick a point for them finally. :hehe:

It's strange how this circuit is just super for Japanese drivers in F1. Takuma Sato who was rubbishly inconsistent kicked a$$ here twice in consecutive years picking up strong points in rubbish cars....and Koba's only podium that season was here as well.

Caterham should put him in...maybe he could nick a point for them finally. :hehe:

Home crowd effect? Lewis says the home crowd support definitely pushes him to squeeze out extra time.
I never believed home crowd effect makes much of a difference in F1. A little, but haven't seen huge performances from certain drivers at their homes (Lewis at Silverstone/Alonso at Spain/Sato/Koba) being the exceptions. Michael was renowned for Spa, so is Kimi (not Germany/Hungary respectively), Mika was always strong in Spain, DC at Monaco, Barrichello sucked at Brazil (or had crap luck). IMO the advantage is almost nothing when compared to football anyway.
Also to consider is the fact of whether the home track suits the drivers driving style. I'm convinced the crowd lifts Lewis. He was distraught after quali this year when he made that wrong decision, felt he'd let his fans down. So he arrived on Sunday determined to make amends, and he did. He'd have half it without Rosberg's failure I'm convinced of it. And last year, back of the grid with a puncture and an incredible drive to fourth, another lap and he'd have had Alonso.

Maybe not all drivers, as you say.
Hard and medium compounds this weekend. That may introduce some interesting aspects as some teams/drivers have struggled all year long on the harder compounds.
I'm not sure but what compounds were available in Austria?

I think Mercedes are one of those who suffer in qualifying with the harder compounds....so maybe Williams to throw another spanner in the works on a Saturday?
As we head into Suzuka, I'm growing more curious about engine usage. Does anyone have a reliable source or list of each driver and how many power units they have used thus far? I can't seem to find this bit on the official Formula1.com site. Anyone?
Last edited by The Second Coming on 01 Oct 14, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
Nico has struggled a bit more with the harder compound in the races. Doesn't matter anyway since they'll be using the throw away mediums for Q3. In any case, Ferrari has had issues with the hard compounds to date. Kimi in particular. Vettle has also struggled with the harder compound.

Suzuka is a little bit of everything, fast flowing and slow corners as well as a healthy straight to flex the muscles and it is hard on rubber.
As we head into Suzuka, I'm growing more curious about engine usage. Does anyone have a reliable source or list of each driver and how many power units they have used thus far? I can't seem to find this bit on the official Formula1.com site. I think Renault are in trouble but I would love to see the full picture, particularly where our Lewis stands, compared to the lot. Anyone?

Our Lewis?
I'm not aware of Forumula1 as a collective owning Lewis or even identifying with him in any particularly supportive manner. :eek:
You can have him, sure, but don't include me and many others on here, especially since it's not his support thread. :P
As we head into Suzuka, I'm growing more curious about engine usage. Does anyone have a reliable source or list of each driver and how many power units they have used thus far? I can't seem to find this bit on the official Formula1.com site. I think Renault are in trouble but I would love to see the full picture, particularly where our Lewis stands, compared to the lot. Anyone?

Here's the list of everyone who was at five in Singapore.

Fernando Alonso: ICE, CE

Kimi Raikkonen: ICE, MGU-H, CE

Romain Grosjean: TC

Pastor Maldonado: ICE, TC, MGU-K, MGU-H

Adrian Sutil: ICE, TC, MGU-H

Esteban Gutierrez: CE

Jean-Eric Vergne: MGU-K

Daniil Kvyat: MGU-K

Jules Bianchi: ICE, TC, MGU-H, CE

Max Chilton: ICE, TC, MGU-H

Here's the list of everyone who was at five in Singapore.

Fernando Alonso: ICE, CE

Kimi Raikkonen: ICE, MGU-H, CE

Romain Grosjean: TC

Pastor Maldonado: ICE, TC, MGU-K, MGU-H

Adrian Sutil: ICE, TC, MGU-H

Esteban Gutierrez: CE

Jean-Eric Vergne: MGU-K

Daniil Kvyat: MGU-K

Jules Bianchi: ICE, TC, MGU-H, CE

Max Chilton: ICE, TC, MGU-H

Source? (for future reference)

See our F1 related articles too!