FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
A race of two halves, which ended up fairly in Hamilton's favour. Cruise and collect first half, then using the Merc's might and great driving, good tyre management
in the second. That stint after the SC on the SS really cemented him as the championship favourite. After the fallout from Spa incident, which seemed disastrous
for points, I think something has changed within Merc and between the teammates that has given Hamilton extra confidence; like he's had all the crap thrown at
him and is still in with a chance. Even in Q3 when he locked up he didn't let it effect the rest if his lap, it seemed to focus him.

It's hard to tell if two three and four was representative. They could have finished in any order there without the SC. Vettel managed his tyres a lot better though.
He could easily have fallen off a cliff and dropped right back. Thought maybe RB were a bit coachey with some of their radio messages too.

Massa impressive again where nobody expected the Williams to be anything special. Like Hamilton after the break he's come alive, and focused. Too little too late for Vergne
but it's always good to see someone carving up the field. Steward's targeting Mag again - it's like they look for a reason now. Kimi was disappointing after a strong build up.

Rosberg had the rotten luck today, but that's how it goes.
Good resumé Roth.
That safety car was ridiculous but It did force drivers to move things up a notch and as you say Hamilton had to get on it after that. Some stunning and consistent laps there.could have lost it, but won it. He needed that! Maybe it's the data sharing during the race ban that gives. Lewis confidence, he said that was a step in the right direction( towards a more ideal situation for him)
Yes, Mags and stewards. Maybe he is the new Lewis in all senses. :hehe:

Surprised Vettel beat Ricc, but the lad needs a break. Ricc can't have it all his own way, talented though he is.

Surprised Vettel beat Ricc, but the lad needs a break. Ricc can't have it all his own way, talented though he is.

Ricc had power problems, similar to Hamilton in Hungray, otherwise I imagine he'd have been through. He's not normally so gentlemanly as to hold position for twenty laps.
Roth spoken from the heart indeed. :hehe: You sound like Agent Smith evaluating Neo. Quite the fan.

Mr. Ander... (erm) Hamilton

Ricc had power problems, similar to Hamilton in Hungray, otherwise I imagine he'd have been through. He's not normally so gentlemanly as to hold position for twenty laps.

Ah, that might explain things. I had foreign commentary for most of it so missed a lot of the ins and outs.
A race of two halves, which ended up fairly in Hamilton's favour. Cruise and collect first half, then using the Merc's might and great driving, good tyre management
in the second. That stint after the SC on the SS really cemented him as the championship favourite. After the fallout from Spa incident, which seemed disastrous
for points, I think something has changed within Merc and between the teammates that has given Hamilton extra confidence; like he's had all the crap thrown at
him and is still in with a chance. Even in Q3 when he locked up he didn't let it effect the rest if his lap, it seemed to focus him.

It's hard to tell if two three and four was representative. They could have finished in any order there without the SC. Vettel managed his tyres a lot better though.
He could easily have fallen off a cliff and dropped right back. Thought maybe RB were a bit coachey with some of their radio messages too.

Massa impressive again where nobody expected the Williams to be anything special. Like Hamilton after the break he's come alive, and focused. Too little too late for Vergne
but it's always good to see someone carving up the field. Steward's targeting Mag again - it's like they look for a reason now. Kimi was disappointing after a strong build up.

Rosberg had the rotten luck today, but that's how it goes.

Good synopsis. If I may add a few nuggets:
1. What Lewis did with those red tyres was absolutely incredible! It's not just the speed he got out of them but the duration in which he was able to get that staggering performance. Takes me back to Schumacher days when Ross would come on the mic and say (I'm doing the Ross Brawn voice while holding a banana), "Michael, we need 25 seconds in hand" and Schumi would just wind it up and get the gap.

2. I must say I was a bit disappointed in the behavior of that Williams pit crew member who, despite Massa getting a really good stop, the leader of the crew smacked the guy on the left front because he was just a mere half tick off. That's totally unprofessional! Yes, emotions running high and all that but there is a better way of going about dealing with your frustrations and your peers. Unsporting.

3. What are we to do with our Mags?! The stewards really have a target on his back. He seems to have a thick skin tho...dealing with it well.

Overall, pretty enjoyable race. Started with dramas then came the mystery...who could do what, and then came the suspense...could Lewis overcome the massive hurdle, finally ending with triumph.

Such fun! Roll on Japan.
Singapore provided, as always!! Sucks for Rosberg that his car failed. Lucky hamilton needed that to win today. I was rooting for alonso to get on the podium but at the same time I like ricciardo too and I was glad vettel got second to keep ricciardo's points scoring at bay, as that he might be a threat to the mercedes drivers with the double points at the end of the season.

What a show from perez after having his wing ripped off!! And a nice show from vergne too. I hope he finds a drive next season.
Massa's Grandma Is Quicker Than Raikkonen

Felipe Massa says he had to crawl home for fifth in the Singapore Grand Prix after Williams decided not to bring him in for fresh tyres during the safety car period.

Massa had a quiet race in fifth but had to stretch out his prime stint instead of taking on fresh rubber, a strategy call he did not agree with at the time. Team-mate Valtteri Bottas tumbled down the order on similar tyres late in the race but Massa managed hold on for fifth after completing over half the race on his primes, which he says was next to impossible on old rubber.

"After the safety car I was pushing, and then I was told that I had to finish the race on this set of tyres," Massa said. "For me, that was a joke, it was impossible to finish the race on those tyres. Then, I drove like a grandma from there to the end, and then somehow managed to finish the race in fifth place, so I'm happy! If I had changed the tyres, I would have finished fifth anyway but closer to Fernando.

"[They told me] three laps after the restart, and there was still 25 laps to go. It's really a lot. I had to change my driving style but I was still quicker than everybody else behind. My opinion at that time is not the important thing, if we stopped we go back behind everybody. I didn't say 'I think it's wrong', I said 'I don't think it would be possible'."

Despite his frustrations about Williams' strategy during the race, Massa is relieved to finish fifth as it was the best possible for the team.

'It was a good race, a great race. It was difficult to do a better result on this track than what I did, because Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull were all quicker than us, and then the team decided to not stop under the safety car and I wasn't sure whether that was the right thing to do.I feel sorry for Valtteri, he was behind me during the whole race. For me, yes it was the optimum. We finished in the best position we were supposed to finish."

Okay that's not the real title but it's still within context of what he said. :D
Massa's Grandma Is Quicker Than Raikkonen

Okay that's not the real title but it's still within context of what he said. :D

I wonder if they are discussing wether 'driving miss daisy' is faster than riding a donkey in the MeasCulparia lounge
A race of two halves, which ended up fairly in Hamilton's favour. Cruise and collect first half, then using the Merc's might and great driving, good tyre management in the second.

What do you mean by cruise and collect first half?? He cruised but what did he collect? He started first and was first after the cruise, he didn't collect any grid positions from dropouts, he didn't collect any trophies or handouts or charitable gifts nor reply on the misfortune of others to promote himself

The jury is still out on your positioning on the scale of 'those interested in Lewis' as defined by factions like this one
:doh:
:imwithstupid::gonnagetit:

Is your definition of C&C different or is there an underlying subversive defiance in there somewhere? :scratchchin:
I think the cruise and collect is just a phrase for getting the job done without moving heaven and earth. that's how I see it anyway. Like I mentioned with hulkenberg. Dude doesn't do anything flashy, just drives it and gets the job done, whereas perez was busting some @$$ to make up lost time after his wing got taken off.
Guys, guys... I think he meant cruise and collect like Rosberg did in Monaco. It's really difficult to overtake in Singapore. But it was really really difficult to make the option tires last as much as they did. That's what won the race yesterday, tire management.
I think the cruise and collect is just a phrase for getting the job done without moving heaven and earth. that's how I see it anyway. Like I mentioned with hulkenberg. Dude doesn't do anything flashy, just drives it and gets the job done, whereas perez was busting some @$$ to make up lost time after his wing got taken off.

Yeah that makes sense generally - though there is a specific application in F1 applied to the drivers that hold back and collect from those going for it who go off ahead. Like the hare vs the tortoise, risk taking vs cat footing
Eg
Mags vs button
Perez vs button
Almost anyone vs button

See our F1 related articles too!