FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
I am not defending racism, I am just saying I do not see it in what he said. I get "oh you're Welsh, you don't have an accent" a lot. Are you saying that the people who say it to me are being racist/nationalistic or just making an observation?

Sent using NCC-1701

If a Welshman and an Scotsman were teammates, and someone who did not know either of them said the Welshman will have bigger problems with understanding the engineer with a broad Tasmanian accent because Welsh people are not as good as Scottish people at understanding exotic accents

Would you say, A) yes he has a point, there is something fixed and unchangeable that makes EVERY Welshman inferior when it comes to understanding different accents

or would you say

B) It depends on the Welshman, if its a guy who has lived in foreign countries his whole life then he shouldnt find it any harder than anyone else, but if its the biggest group of Welshmen who have never left Wales then maybe - so can you give me some evidence of this particular drivers abilities and actual results with an exotic engineer

or would you say

C) thats a fair assumption, most Welsh dont travel and would find accents hard so its fair to forget about actually investigating any evidence or context about this Welsh driver and lets legislate that he should never be allowed in a position where he has to decipher an exotic accent, his teammate will always have this advantage no matter what

or would you say

D) hold on, I watched a race the other day and the Welsh guy had NO problems with the exotic engineer, infact he whipped his Scottish teammate who slowed down because he wasnt sure what the engineer said. BUT I think I need to forget about that because my belief is the A above and I am too lazy to change it

That D is what happens when a commentators or journos get lazy and want to appeal to the sheep who need to be told what they are watching. Its easier to pander to stereotypes.
Now we are not talking about politics or religion here, we are talking about SPORTS, this is the last place where it matter what you believe and what actually happens before your own eyes is yours, your chance to think for yourself and see talent not politics

Whats the point of watching a sport and not enjoying it because of what you think before you even turned up???

it would be like watching a driver start in the pit and carve to the front and say 'that wasnt exciting because I believe he is weak mentally, always have and always will'

This is the human sickness - to think instead of to see, because when we see its whats there, when we think, the majority of us are thinking what someone else wants us to think - 'hybrids are a scam because we could power cars using sewage' even a baby could look at all the cars on the road and work out the costs of getting them all on sewage is lalaland at its best
Because, he does not provide a single bit of evidence to qualify this. Combine that with the precedent we already have from earlier on this season and generally in Lewis' career - cant manage tyres, wont manage fuel, wont adapt to this/that.
Then when you consider that the chap is black, the first one, in a 50 year old sport, then its not really a shock to assume that this will be the cause of many cases of declaring he is this or that without providing a shred of evidence. Its understandable that journos are comfortable with stereotypes and generalisation, because a big proportion of their audience are Sun reading oiks. Whats most annoying is being told what to think and not providing any evidence.

I want the bravest guy to whip those with qualities that come from wearing expensive lipstick and makeup, I want proof that life is more than materialism or priviledge, I want to see the glory in the human spirit through a guy who has everything and everyone against him yet is willing to go toe to toe. So we accept the stewards 'err', but we have to now pretend he is a fluke?

how does that work? if he is so bad at tyres and fuel and dumb and black and flighty and showoffy and shallow, WHY IS HE UNBEATEN MAN TO MAN on track by any of the priviledged useless lame sons of racing drivers like Button, Nico????

Races when both drivers finished, does anyone know the stats?? Lewis has won something like 70% of the races he finished this year, Nico has won like 30%, - against Button, its even more shocking - yet I have to silently listen to an ex driver who won 6 races in 20 years tell me that Lewis is no good because blahdeblahdeblahbdementalweaknessblahdeblahh8tzblahdeblahKKKblahdeblahdeblahlynchmobblahdeblah

It could only be more entertaining if Lewis was also lesbian and female and still whipping the Buttons and Nicos - now that I would pay big money to see (and i suspect DD would too :D )
By Roth
He just doesn't like curly haired people. It stems from his days with Prost. Have you thought of that.

I bet he hates Ricciardo too.
yeah, probably thinks Ricc is the Gypsy who stole his that bottle of milk off his doorstep 20 years ago :hehe:
What proof have you got that Watson assumption was made because of his colour?

Shouldn't the question any critical thinker would ask Watson be what proof he has that Lewis is of an inferior mind?
By sagi58
...I think all too often we hear racism and we think a lynching has to take place to qualify as such. Those who've never experienced it have an easy time turning a blind eye to it.

Replace racism with sexism and you have the same problem/dilemma when it comes to women and how they are viewed. From overt slap on the butt and rubbing up against a woman in a crowded area to the subversive use of language in the media, in song lyrics and in advertisements. Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to turn a blind eye to sexism because the population of women far outnumbers the population of minorities.
Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to turn a blind eye to sexism because the population of women far outnumbers the population of minorities.

but sagi, you do know that there are immigrant women as well right??? Or are you saying people turn a blind eye to sexism on immigrant women AFTER noticing or perpetuating racsism on them or before???
By sagi58
Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to turn a blind eye to sexism because the population of women far outnumbers the population of minorities.

but sagi, you do know that there are immigrant women as well right??? Or are you saying people turn a blind eye to sexism on immigrant women AFTER noticing or perpetuating racsism on them or before???

Re-read what I wrote. I meant what I said.

If you're having comprehension difficulties again,
please advise and I will simplify my comment.
So we have a difference in opinion between our on track F1 genius (and current champion)
“The main difficulty is not necessarily stuff like the fuel because it’s simple to put up a certain target to follow [on the car's dash]. But in terms of managing the components, and the way they work with each other, it will be very difficult for us," he said.
The World Champion added that the new, more complex, hybrid cars are “not as simple as managing KERS in the past. If that was the case then the radio ban’s not a problem.”

and our own newly self crowned forum genius
It wont make much difference to the drivers cause they did most their racing up to F1 without radio anyways.

hmmn :scratchchin::shrug: : :spaz:

See our F1 related articles too!