FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By LRW
I do think some of the drivers get fed too much information on where they can save time on a lap.....

Formula 1 chiefs are considering a team radio clampdown as part of a push to make the sport more challenging for drivers again, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Following discussions at an F1 Strategy Group meeting at the Italian Grand Prix, it is understood a number of teams have asked the FIA to find a way of banning certain types of radio communications because they are considered a turn-off for fans.

The radical push has been prompted by the theory that a perception that drivers are 'puppets' who simply follow instructions from the pits is one of the factors in F1's popularity decline. There is also particular concern that drivers are relying more and more on information from the pits about where they can gain laptime, especially in comparison with their team-mates. This is especially true of championship contenders Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton, who have both been fed constant information by Mercedes this season.

Although there is little desire for a total ban on team radio, it is understood that efforts will be made to outlaw specific communications from the pits that help drivers with their performance. This is likely to come from a strict enforcement of Article 20.1 of F1's Sporting Regulations that states: "The driver must drive the car alone and unaided." The FIA could make it clear that any communication from the pits that helps the drivers with their performance - rather than being for procedural or safety reasons - is a breach of the rules.

Radio conversations from drivers - especially the more entertaining ones popular among fans - will still continue unchanged. Discussions between the teams and the FIA on the matter are ongoing, and a clarification is expected before the Singapore GP.

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier told AUTOSPORT that the ramping up of radio messages this year was a legacy of the new fuel efficiency rules - but conceded that the situation could be better for fans. "The constraint we have this year is less fuel, and harder tyres, and I understand it may be a confusing message for the fans that the drivers have to save tyres and they have to save fuel, whatever," he said. "Radio messages and instructions have always been done since the radio was first in place. It [the issue] is something new now because it has been broadcast for the past three years.

"FOM could switch it off, or filter it. But at the end, why not go with another rule that is going to make it simpler and let the driver express himself a bit more on track? It is better, of course."

LINK
By Roth
They need to use them more, perhaps have some kind of separate audio channel if that's possible, and educate viewers rather than mostly using ones which appear to be cherry-picked for controversy.
I don't see the problem here, if it is a problem for some fans then they just have to be a little more select about which messages are broadcast as surely it's FOM people who decide which messages go out on air.
By Hammer278
How much can they clamp down on this, when the engineers can just tell the drivers when they get back to the pits? I don't see much difference, okay you get the feedback on the spot and maybe get to adjust it on the very next lap with the memory of the mistake still fresh.....but still. Isn't the point of engineers and drivers working as a team to go faster wherever possible. After all we keep getting reminded its a "team sport".

When competing for big prizes though, I expect the data sharing in Mercedes to come to a grinding halt when they all but wrap up the WCC in Singapore.

Sorry for bringing Merc into this thread, but it relates to the radio comms thing....somewhat.
You dont have an issue with drivers getting told exactly where they are losing time, or where they could gain time?

Not really, no. They still have to drive the car and everything in F1 is about getting the edge over a competitor.
By LRW
In my opinion an F1 driver should be able to find the quickest way around a circuit.

They should not have to be told by an engineer on a pitwall where they are losing time. A decent driver should find it himself.
What are they going to stop next? Telemetry? Oh no a driver see where he is loosing time by a car pulling away from him. Let's ban other cars on the track.

Sent using NCC-1701
By Hammer278
In my opinion an F1 driver should be able to find the quickest way around a circuit.

They should not have to be told by an engineer on a pitwall where they are losing time. A decent driver should find it himself.

Hmmm true, but with the limited practice time they get I think some help is okay. They are busy testing out various parts, various fuel loads, different tyres everytime they go out on track in 3 practice sessions....so if a teammate finds some time somewhere, there's no harm for the engineer to advise his driver to make up for it as well. Best way to get two cars going faster.

The purists might not like it, I see why but considering the constraints in place during a season and teams using FPs as test beds, this advise is kinda essential for a driver. For example, Driver A has to test out some crap which is coming out in 2015....while Driver B is simply testing tyre wear at this race....Driver B has an immediate advantage when A is focusing on future plans.

Hmmm true, but with the limited practice time they get I think some help is okay. They are busy testing out various parts, various fuel loads, different tyres everytime they go out on track in 3 practice sessions....so if a teammate finds some time somewhere, there's no harm for the engineer to advise his driver to make up for it as well. Best way to get two cars going faster.

The purists might not like it, I see why but considering the constraints in place during a season and teams using FPs as test beds, this advise is kinda essential for a driver. For example, Driver A has to test out some crap which is coming out in 2015....while Driver B is simply testing tyre wear at this race....Driver B has an immediate advantage when A is focusing on future plans.

I have no problem with it in practice because as you say they are effectively glorified test sessions - but in qualifying and the race these messages should not be allowed. Something like telling Massa not to use both pedals at the same time mid-race is too much imo.

Remember that this is the World DRIVERS Championship, not World Engineers Championship
I'm okay with a radio ban, however there is a tremendous safety aspect that you can't take away. Warning drivers of accident and conditions ahead should be a permanent benefit as it's saved countless of accidents and injuries over the years.
By spankyham
I like it, and while they're at it, they should ban pit boards as well, make them do things baseball style - mime communications. If Bottas asks where his new front wing is. I'd be hoping Suzie has to deliver the message "I left it behind" :hehe:
Anecdotal info on wings, they're about $300k for a weekend's supply. Every time they revamp the wings, it's another $300k. Talk about cost reduction? How about having teams go an entire season with only three wing changes for the year.
By racechick
For me personally I like as much as possible left to the driver, and his engineer. I see it as a partnership , two different skill sets working out the best solution, but ultimately the driver makes the decisions. What I dislike is driver's data being passed to team mates even during the race itself. I think that goes too far. Safety issues, yes the radio should remain for that.

See our F1 related articles too!