FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By What's Burning?
Isn't Monza next week? :confused:

I've no clue what this response means.

You posted:
Anyone remember Alonso's comment to Vettel last year on the Monza podium, about how great the crowd was. How much difference a year makes.

Your supposedly rhetorical question was "How much difference a year makes", since you were most likely referring to who will be on the podium!
However, my focus was on the Alonso's opinion of a great crowd that might make at the end of the race on this upcoming Sunday.

Oh... no wonder, I still don't get it. :blush:

I am going to take your comment at face value rather than be paranoid and assume that you are being deliberately obtuse! :blush:

So... If the race hasn't happened yet, how can anyone know what the podium will look like,
let alone what Alonso might or might not say about the crowd at Monza??

I hope that's clearer?

OH, I get it now... I don't know for sure but the fact that I'm leading the pool game means I'm better than the average bear at picking podiums. :blush:
By sagi58
OH, I get it now... I don't know for sure but the fact that I'm leading the pool game means I'm better than the average bear at picking podiums. :blush:

That it does!! :thumbup:

But, even the best have a dry spell, eh? :twisted:
By CookinFlat6
Hmmm, how much difference a year makes means since last year things have changed a lot vis a vis our expectations and experience so far of who is likely to be in the podium discussing the crowd

Alonso, whilst still a Ferrari driver is guaranteed to say what a great crowd there is at Monza (providing he finishes the race before the podium ceremony is done) - so no guessing there

So the only thing in question must be the composition of the podium a year later, and I will boldy claim that it would take a leap of faith to 'naturally' expect Seb and Alonso to be up there discussing the ins and outs of the Tifosi at Monza like they were last year

Oh well at least we are not trying to provoke an argument about whether Merc or ferrari are more likely to deploy slipstreaming formations in quali at Monza
By What's Burning?
Reports of record speeds at Monza may have been greatly exaggerated. I wonder if the lack of braking is affecting harvesting.
By RyRy
Reports of record speeds at Monza may have been greatly exaggerated. I wonder if the lack of braking is affecting harvesting.

Yeah, even some of the top teams expected 370+ but only achieved 353 or something :S
By Hammer278
Meaning......spanks wins! :yikes::yikes:

At least a Ferrari fan has won something this season. :P
By What's Burning?

Hold on a second there little man... the record is for race day. When you get a line of cars going, there's a slip stream effect and the tail end can gain quite a bit of speed. Why don't we just wait for tomorrow. This is what happens in Qualifying... imagine a train of four or five fast cars.

On my fast lap I had nobody in front of me - I've been looking at the overlays (of data) and realized that I was losing almost one tenth on each straight just because he was in a tow and I wasn't. The tow is quite significant here - if you are six or seven seconds behind somebody in front you gain a small advantage on the straight. But generally yes, he's been quicker than me in the first two corners, usually quicker out - but struggling a bit on the way in.
By Roth
On my fast lap I had nobody in front of me - I've been looking at the overlays (of data) and realized that I was losing almost one tenth on each straight just because he was in a tow and I wasn't. The tow is quite significant here - if you are six or seven seconds behind somebody in front you gain a small advantage on the straight. But generally yes, he's been quicker than me in the first two corners, usually quicker out - but struggling a bit on the way in.

That's a very interesting quote that makes me think of Alonso's ridiculous penalty in '06, for 'impeding' Massa. Massa should have been thanking him.
By Hammer278

Hold on a second there little man... the record is for race day. When you get a line of cars going, there's a slip stream effect and the tail end can gain quite a bit of speed. Why don't we just wait for tomorrow. This is what happens in Qualifying... imagine a train of four or five fast cars.

[youtube]M7gZm24gC60[/youtube]

Hmm...would they be running at such high RPMs as in qualifying though? :hehe:

But yeah you have a point, DRS could make me the winner. :D
By Hammer278
So fastest in the speed traps was Ricciardo at 361.1k.

Making Nin Chin the winner predicting 360k. :clap:

And myself in 2nd place with 365k.

And spanks in 3rd place with 356k.
By spankyham

A podium, yeah baby :D
By Hammer278

A podium, yeah baby :D

You're the edge of the Ferrari blade, son. :thumbup:
By Jabberwocky
I was watching it in quaifying. Most of the drivers where not even getting to 8th gear which suprised me.

Also suprised that a Merc powered car was not the fastest

Sent using NCC-1701
By CookinFlat6
That number is at the speed trap and not necessarily the fastest point for each car. It could be that the merc engines were so superior that they werent at full speed at that point, or more likely their peak power was lower down the band and made them save more fuel than pushing all that extra wind resistance with even more power - that could be the reason the mercs all used less fuel

It would make sense with Renault and especially ferrari concentrating on fuel expensive straight line speed, then Merc can save fuel with top speed and just have more torque and power lower down for same cost
By Hammer278
^Exactly, normally the best engines are usually the trailers in top end speed.

I recall when BMW were with Williams during the Montoya days, they were never leading on top end speed at circuits like Canada and Indianapolis. And just like Merc today, they were reputed to be easily the most powerful in the field. Why gain an extra 2-3km/h when you can gain loads more at corners and torque.

See our F1 related articles too!