FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
I'd much rather see more European circuits than the poorly attended events we've had in India, Korea, and other venues the last few seasons. That said, it's a long way from concept to execution. Let's see how this develops.

(CNN) -- A grand prix in austerity-hit Greece could be on the horizon according to Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone.

On May 30, Ecclestone's company Formula One Licensing registered the 'Formula 1 Mediterranean Grand Prix' as a trademark.

"The Greeks are keen," Ecclestone told CNN. "They want me to go and see the Prime Minister or the mayor," added Ecclestone, referring to Antonis Samaras and Georgios Kaminis respectively. "We will have to find out if they have got any money."

Total investment of around $1 billion is required to build a track from scratch and cover the F1 hosting fee, which typically runs for 10 years.

Private investors are looking at the construction of a track in the Keratsini-Drapetsona municipality, which is six miles to the west of Athens.
I'd much rather see more European circuits than the poorly attended events we've had in India, Korea, and other venues the last few seasons.

Agreed! Look at Austria. Over a decade off the calendar, and it made a triumphant return, in terms of crowd attendance!

See our F1 related articles too!