FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By racechick
Interesting article here from Autosport with some of the top people in F1 speaking out against the current fashion of moaning about F1 instead of celebrating some of the best racing we've seen for ages. Calls also to re engage with the fans and simplify the rules. YES PLEASE!!

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115317
There's nothing wrong with F1, we have some of the best "looking" racing we've had in years, DRS is finally balanced, the cars going sideways out of turns is spectacular, the tires are once again not THE issue but simply just another factor to consider... Bring back in race refueling and we'd have perfection.

The only thing wrong with F1 is the greedy old guard that's keeping the sport unattainable to a huge chunk of the population because it shouldn't cost $1000 dollars to take your family out for a weekend just for the grandstand tickets. The greedy old guard that's keeping the television profits from feeding the tail end of the grid a fair share so they can improve and become competitive and not have to hire pay drivers but bring in drivers based on their skill and credentials.

Oh, and a test session after every other GP that's free to the public. :cloud9:
By spankyham
So "you" shouldn't say anything negative about F1 because that is moaning. But I can say the rules need changing and fans aren't engaged and that's completely different. ROFL
Surely the off track and on track aspects of F1 are not comparable when it comes to what we are there for - sports :confused:

I mean who pays money to come and enjoy the rule making and the crowd reach, vs who pays to come and see the on track action
By racechick
So "you" shouldn't say anything negative about F1 because that is moaning. But I can say the rules need changing and fans aren't engaged and that's completely different. ROFL

I didn't say that. I reiterated what was in the article. I think F1 is in a finer state than it's been for a long time regarding the actual racing , which is what it's all about. If they can get it back on the tele or in some form more people can easily watch...bonus points !! And if they can decide amongst themselves what the rules are and stick to them ( eg can you or can you not exceed track limits, and when should a safety car come out) then that's even more bonus points. But I'm not moaning with what we have this season! It's BRILL!
Vettel fans have disappeared into the woodwork like roaches in a cheap apartment and Ferrari fans must be eating lots of lemons cause they are so bitter. In a nutshell, the negativity from some media and fans.

Let's hurry up and bring in 2015, maybe Vettel can beat Ricciardo every now and then, and Ferrari can get back to challenging for a podium in circuits that suit them, it's going to be a lot more doom and gloom and complaining about how bad things are until there's a team capable of challenging Mercedes.

EDIT: oh yeah I forgot to throw in McLaren... their relevance has been all but forgotten since a certain driver left.
By RyRy
FOM's bad directing, FOM's copyright claims, FIA, Unfair rulings, inconsistent rulings, mid-season rule charges, mid-season bans on certain technologies, not enough technological embracing, not enough free to air content, like they should have stuck with the BBC over Sky and should offer online streaming with a pay to watch subscription and also a free version supported by ads and finally Bernie... CVC need to fire him he's bringing far too much negativity into the sport.
By racechick
I think TV and the issues around it have a lot to answer to for declining viewing figures. Casual viewers and new fans will not pay to watch. I won't pay and I'm a hardcore follower.

Here's Newey giving his views on the state if F1 and Todt as well.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gordo ... ign=buffer
I think WB has hit the nail on the head. GREED.
eg my mate had a small interest in motorsport. His misses spent a couple of quid to get a full access tickets to a BTCC round because the prices where not over the top. Now he loves BTCC has bought himself some more tickets for other rounds and bought lots of merchandise. Oh and it is on a free TV channel to watch.

Let's have a look at the same if I wanted to do the same for the British gp. Pitlane tickets £1200, per person iirc so £2400 then to watch the other rounds I pay £30 a month for Sky Sports (I am a Virgin Media subscriber) so an extra £360 a year.

Can we blame any of the racetracks for the ticket prices? Nope not when FOM want many millions of pounds to hold a race there.

Where

Sent using NCC-1701
By racechick
To be fair you can get very good three day grandstand seats at Silverstone for between 2 and 3 hundred quid each. Still too much I agree. And I agree with the rest of your post. Bernis is strangling the sport with his greed. The tracks have to charge those prices just to break even. New people won't pay that just to see if they might like it , and they won't find out on tele because it's not free ( all the time). A sorry state and a shame.
I agree RC, I was just posting about the equivalent to my mates BTCC experience.

Does anyone have the attendance figures for the British GP, would be interesting to see how much the circuit makes from the GP compared to how much FOM asks for.

In fact any GP not just the British one

While we are on about ticket prices. I used to attend the in season testing at silverstone, the ticket prices where 10 - 15 quid, maybe a good way of getting new fans in by going back to that.
Just compare the prices charged at circuit that hosts both Moto GP and F1. Same function to the fans, why is there such a delta in price? Bernie just paid a 100 million dollar fine the way we'd pay an overdue parking ticket.
I am sure I have asked this before, but I am not really sure what services FOM provides.

TV (but this is a separate income stream)
control of pit entry
flying the top 10 teams kit around
paying money to each team at the end of the year.
paying tv money out
By racechick
Here's Buxton with his views on what's wrong with F1..... Nothing ! Well not with the racing, only with the business model. I agree with this article wholeheartedly!

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/20 ... /new-coke/

See our F1 related articles too!