FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Boooooooo I'd have kept the gravel! :nono:

Apparently there will be a 2-3 meter gravel "strip" that will slow the cars up significantly if they run wide, the tarmac run-off beyond that was called for by multiple sports mainly because of the fact it took recovery trucks far too long to remove cars that had crashed/got stuck in the gravel. They're trying to limit the amount of time a safety car is out on track.

They are also apparently going to be be strict about the "gained an advantage" by running wide on the exit of parabolica (the normal place people play dare with track limits) which would also mean that Ascarii would also be watched carefully because pretty much every car would run wide there in previous years because it was faster.

EDIT: Just saw RC's post, yeah exactly shouldn't make a difference.
Woah Woah Woah, the weekend in Belgium hasn't even begun yet and already we have an Italy 14 topic???

In fairness, I can see why. I HATE the fact to how they've butchered the parabolica. Urgggh. I was annoyed....Well annoyed with cursing.
Doesn't bother me much as the penalty will still be high with a gravel strip. Significantly slowing down cars, gravel all over the tires, possibly tea tray damage, etc. I've never minded run off areas though to be honest. I guess tight street circuits are the only place i've expected drivers to be brutally punished for going off a little bit
Boooooooo I'd have kept the gravel! :nono:

Apparently there will be a 2-3 meter gravel "strip" that will slow the cars up significantly if they run wide, the tarmac run-off beyond that was called for by multiple sports mainly because of the fact it took recovery trucks far too long to remove cars that had crashed/got stuck in the gravel. They're trying to limit the amount of time a safety car is out on track.

They are also apparently going to be be strict about the "gained an advantage" by running wide on the exit of parabolica (the normal place people play dare with track limits) which would also mean that Ascarii would also be watched carefully because pretty much every car would run wide there in previous years because it was faster.

EDIT: Just saw RC's post, yeah exactly shouldn't make a difference.

It doesn't look like there is room for a gravel strip in these pictures.
There's no freaking gravel strip. Wtf?
It really p***es me off that these drivers are supposed to be the best 22 drivers in the world, but they need tarmac run off areas because they can't keep their car on the track, absolutely stupid. If there was a strip of grass and gravel beyond that, going beyond track limits would never even be a consideration because of the massive time penalties or even retirement.
It really p***es me off that these drivers are supposed to be the best 22 drivers in the world, but they need tarmac run off areas because they can't keep their car on the track, absolutely stupid. If there was a strip of grass and gravel beyond that, going beyond track limits would never even be a consideration because of the massive time penalties or even retirement.

Correct me if im wrong, but was this change not made for bikes and touring cars? A bit like how the new S1 at Silverstone was changed to accommodate MotoGP (I believe Bridge corner was too dangerous for the bikes)
I hope they're going to be strict about anyone putting 4 wheels over the line, +5 secs on pitstops or racetime for every time someone does it, no exception and no first chance, should do it.
My point still stands; whether it's for bikes or touring cars or Formula 1; having grass and gravel delineating track limits; the riders/drivers would have to slow down to appropriate speed, motorsport is inherently dangerous, today's health and safety nanny state is ruining motorsport in my view.
My point still stands; whether it's for bikes or touring cars or Formula 1; having grass and gravel delineating track limits; the riders/drivers would have to slow down to appropriate speed, motorsport is inherently dangerous, today's health and safety nanny state is ruining motorsport in my view.

Agreed. Lame a$$ tarmac everywhere, why not just convert parking lots to F1 tracks from now on it could be a cost saving venture.

Agreed. Lame a$$ tarmac everywhere, why not just convert parking lots to F1 tracks from now on it could be a cost saving venture.

Been there, done that.

Been there, done that.

Wow! never seen what the Vegas GP layout looked like at Caesar's, very unique.

See our F1 related articles too!