FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Hey Guys,

I was unable to find a double points post (I thought there was one) but here's some reasoning for you all as to why the double points is one of the most stupid things ever to happen in Formula 1 history and why the current point may be incorrect.

We all know that the best driver / car should win the championship, however... this year's rule changes actually put that basic principle in jeopardy.

Nico Rosberg has 190 points and 4 wins, Lewis Hamilton has 176 points and 5 wins.

- There are 9 races left in this season
- Lewis Hamilton wins the next 8 races with Nico Rosberg coming in 2nd in each.
- For the last race of the season, Lewis Hamilton unfortunately has a DNF or finishes outside of the top 10 but Nico Rosberg wins the race getting a crazy 50 points!

At the end of the season Nico Rosberg would have only 5 wins where as Lewis Hamilton would have a whopping 13 wins!

Who's the better driver, who's been the best driver in the vast majority of races just that person has suffered with a few reliability issues? You can't in any way, shape or form say that Lewis Hamilton wouldn't deserve the championship winning nearly three times as many races as Nico Rosberg.

Nico Rosberg would have 384 points and 5 race wins.
Lewis Hamilton would have 376 points and 13 race wins.

You could effectively have a season where Lewis Hamilton wins 15 races, DNF's in 5 races and Nico Rosberg comes 2nd in 19 races and wins just 1 race... (Lewis Hamilton could potentially have 15 wins, one 3rd, one 10th and 3 dnfs / outside of points and still lose...)
It's sh*t. No question about it, but business trumped sport in determining this rule. I heard some party which has a big stake in F1 said the excitement MUST last til the final race which is the main reason its in place. It was an interview with Toto somewhere.

The last race has the potential to make a mockery/destroy the 2014 season. We just have to hope both Mercs are reliable throughout the whole weekend.
Let me preface my post, I do NOT :nono: support this hair-brained idea :banghead: of a double-points :bs: last race!!

Having said that, in RyRy's scenario, before Abu Dhabi, Hamilton would have 376 points to Rosberg's 334 points.
But, barring a DNF, all Hamilton "needs" in the double points race, is to finish 8th to tie and 7th to win the title (with 388 points), even IF Rosberg were to win, and finish the season with 384.

Hamilton won his first WDC without winning that final race, no reason to believe he can't do it again, eh? :wavey:
Ryry's point being a car failure in the last GP could make a mockery of the entire season..... a car failure, not about points and winning. A car failure....which has happened at least 5 times already for Mercedes with 3 failures resulting in DNFs.
Yeah, I got that, thanks!

Just providing an example of how Hamilton could have something fail on this car;
but, if he can nurse it to the end of the race, he could still win the championship,
even if he doesn't win the race.

Ain't nothing wrong with that!! :wink:
A car failure...like a gearbox or an engine failure or brakes exploding. Ain't no nursing gonna help with that.

A car failure...in the last race. Will result in spoiling the entire season.

A car failure...
Why is it always the assumption that it will favour Nico? That's very negative thinking. If in the finishing end it favours Hamilton is it still such a bad system? Or will it be that Hamilton deserved it for his driving over the season. And I'm ignoring your exact parameters, RyRy, not because they're ridiculous, but they are an extreme example which is just going to ruffle up some indignant feathers as they think about the possible injustice to their man. You either grudgingly accept it for it's ridiculousness and hope it disappears next year, or rally against it to no end and give yourself an ulcer.
I personally believe it's going to be a crock of shisenhower if it decides the outcome of the WDC in any way shape or form. If it benefits Hamilton, Nico, Ricciardo - whoever. Its wrong. All races are born equal.
Last edited by LRW on 24 Jul 14, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
I don't like the idea, think it's ridiculous and hope it doesn't affect the outcome of the championship. If it does though, it could have an effect either way though and when it comes to it, that's the rules, pretty much everyone would be wanting the finishing order to be such that the driver they support to be at least finish in the position where they're benefitted by the double points.
Another thing that sucks about it is that by that point, aside from failures in the race, there is more liklihood of drivers picking up grid penalties from having to replace some part so it could become an expensive lottery.
I am fully in support of WHOMEVER is leading by Abu Dhabi, if by less than 50 points should do a Senna on the other, no finer way to make Bernie look the senile greedy joke of a man he's become.
I am fully in support of WHOMEVER is leading by Abu Dhabi, if by less than 50 points should do a Senna on the other, no finer way to make Bernie look the senile greedy joke of a man he's become.

And THEN they can get out and start throwing punches????

Nico punches like a girl.

Nico punches like a girl.

Britney....

And that person gets DSQ from the WDC......

And that person gets DSQ from the WDC......

Subtlety my friend... just like Nico spinning in Monaco, subtlety.

See our F1 related articles too!