FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Bravo! You're learning... ALL of that should have been done behind closed doors!!

See?? It's not so hard to admit that no one is perfect!!

Okay...so who's perfect in F1 to you? And what makes you think these things "should" be behind closed doors? Niki has a right to speak what he thinks and I'm sure Mercedes will hold him back if he's talking too much in "open doors".

My point being, what you think should be said and shouldn't be said might not be right. These guys are professionals, have been in public light for almost their whole lives and they know how to handle themselves. Nothing wrong with what Lauda said, it might have helped Merc's image tremendously....as many are already talking about the German team trying to favour the German driver.

Maybe, you have some things to learn.

NO one and NOTHING is perfect. NOT in F1, not anywhere. It's that simple.

I also realize that this has become a society where anything and everything
goes in the public eye. Personally, I believe some things should stay private.
Like this situation within the Mercedes ranks. However, if that's what Lauda
wants to do, that's his choice. And, if that doesn't work with the rest of the
Mercedes organization, they will decide what to do.

Either way, it makes no difference to me, I merely offered an opinion.

By the way, you are right. I do have a lot to learn.
I am not so pretentious as to believe I know everything.
I'm not really seeing any favouritism. With the failures Hamilton's had, which it's pretty safe to say isn't him being nobbled, and the muck ups of his own making I don't believe he'd only be 11 points shy if he wasn't getting equal support from the team.
That's because Rosberg was put on the optimum strategy. The 3 stopper has always been the fastest around Hungary and Lewis, albeit with the help of the SC, worked himself into a stronger position than Rosberg to make it work. That's exactly what Ricciardo and his race engineer decided when Perez crashed. This flexible thinking was obviously lacking on Lewis's side of the garage and the Mercs hierarchy were happy to go with it.

:clap::clap: Absolutely!!

And Ang, great post above. Mercedes could have had their win if they'd been sharp and flexible.

Myown , Rosberg was clearly faster at the end. Why? BECAUSE LEWIS WAS ON THE WRONG TYRES. They were 1.6 secs a lap slower than the ones Rosberg was on. Merc missed a trick!
I'm with you on that, it's just rotten happenstances happening more frequently for Lewis so who needs favoritism when your team mate "spins" your brakes explode and your car catches fire? In the season so far we're had only one race that's seen both of them finish and the lead driver losing. So mechanical DNFs and unusual circumstances on Saturday have had the lion's share of impact on Sunday's results. If there's nothing more beyond that, it all evens out in the end. I'm just looking forward to Rosberg making the charge up the field from the back of the grid or from pit lane when the problems finally do happen to him. Can't wait!

Those are so entertaining for the fans, and Lewis has made a few of them already, three actually. Law of averages, we'll see. I just hate the fact that once again another race goes by where we're denied a true head to head battle.
Myown , Rosberg was clearly faster at the end. Why? BECAUSE LEWIS WAS ON THE WRONG TYRES. They were 1.6 secs a lap slower than the ones Rosberg was on. Merc missed a trick!

Yes, he was on the 'wrong' tyres, hence why Mercedes wanted Rosberg to pass as he would be faster at the end and could have been in a better position to challenge for the lead. Lewis was obviously on a two stop strategy to move him forward from dead last, should they have switched his strategy, probably, but it's their own internal policies; ultimately Lewis and Nico are employees and as employees, the do as the boss says. BUT I still don't like the team order, these two drivers are racing for the World drivers title, let them battle it out, if one of the other is faster/better, it will show on the track!
All responsibilities go out the window when your "employer" gives you a car that catches fire and a car that makes you crash into a barrier when the brake rotor explodes. If we continue with the employer/employee analogy, you'd think a driver would have grounds for a law suit because of an unsafe led to a crash. This is a WDC championship that is being contested, that the request was asking Lewis to potentially hand over an additional 13 points to a driver he's been behind on points primarily because the Mercedes he's driving keeps blowing up is a bit surreal.

If Nico wanted to win, he should have driven like he wanted to win, (more like Ricciardo) instead of driving like he was entitled to win. The WCC best results is a bunk pseudo explanation because they're currently leading the championship by 180 or so points, and losing three points to Red Bull yesterday is not bad, considering what they asked Hamilton to do to get his 15 points.

In this sport it not just about being fast, or being faster than the other guy, it's about doing it when it counts. And it doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't overtake the guy in front of you because of a tight circuit all the speed goes out the window. It happens in Monaco all the time. I think yesterday the faster driver did show on the track, everyone on the podium earned the spot.
I'm not disagreeing with you WB; but I am sure that there are clauses in their contracts that say Lewis/Nico can not sue if something fails on the car and they get injured/die.

I keep on hearing from fans/pundits/team principles that F1 is a team sport... which is contradictory when you have an individual championship! But in a team sport, everyone is playing for the benefit of the whole, so if Nico could have claimed the win, then that would be considered a benefit to the team. Motorsport is an odd idea, having a team sport with an individual prize!
:blush: I know, I was being a little hyperbolic with the analogy... cookie has rubbed off on me a little of late.

But I do wonder actually, there is more than likely a death clause but regardless there are clear liability cases and the fact that someone is in a risk filled job, doesn't absolve the employer if they are grossly negligent.
That's because Rosberg was put on the optimum strategy. The 3 stopper has always been the fastest around Hungary and Lewis, albeit with the help of the SC, worked himself into a stronger position than Rosberg to make it work. That's exactly what Ricciardo and his race engineer decided when Perez crashed. This flexible thinking was obviously lacking on Lewis's side of the garage and the Mercs hierarchy were happy to go with it.

Like rabbits staring at headlights....... :banghead:
This wrong strategy reminds me of Abu Dhabi (last race) 2010.....Ferrari were so busy following Webber...that they didn't see what was happening with Vettel & the WDC was snatched from Nando through bad calls from his team...the strategist Chris Dyer....wasn't seen at a race again...

I feel Nico seems to have gained a sense of entitlement.....saying he has been there (Merc) since day one ...etc etc.....had his crew round for a barbi before the week-end...then after Quali maybe mentaly chalked up around 39 points lead to take him into the summer break ...
IMO if NR had been dealt the hand that LH has had this year....the WCC points would be a lot less at Merc...
I'm not disagreeing with you WB; but I am sure that there are clauses in their contracts that say Lewis/Nico can not sue if something fails on the car and they get injured/die.

I keep on hearing from fans/pundits/team principles that F1 is a team sport... which is contradictory when you have an individual championship! But in a team sport, everyone is playing for the benefit of the whole, so if Nico could have claimed the win, then that would be considered a benefit to the team. Motorsport is an odd idea, having a team sport with an individual prize!

Or if Lewis could have claimed the win. That would have been a major coup from the pitlane, but they screwed that up.
Most of you know I was an avid webber fan before he retired, which brought about a certain hate for vettel. I think this GP was the second time I'd ever rooted for vettel....seems WB is right. I pick drivers that find a way to lose. Soon as I was cheering for vettel to keep holding hamilton up, he spun out. So, for the sake of hamilton, pray that I don't switch sides.......................................................................... .......................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................................................................. .........or have I been secretly rooting for hamilton the whole time which is why he has the DNF's and quali failures? .......................................................................... ....................................................................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................................................................... ................................................................................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................ ........................................................................................................................................................... ................................................................................................................................................ ........................................................................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................... .......................................................................................................................................................................... ................................................................................. .........................................................................................................................:scratchchin:
Most of you know I was an avid webber fan before he retired, which brought about a certain hate for vettel. I think this GP was the second time I'd ever rooted for vettel....seems WB is right. I pick drivers that find a way to lose. Soon as I was cheering for vettel to keep holding hamilton up, he spun out. So, for the sake of hamilton, pray that I don't switch sides.......................................................................... .......................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................................................................. .........or have I been secretly rooting for hamilton the whole time which is why he has the DNF's and quali failures? .......................................................................... ....................................................................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................................................................... ................................................................................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................ ........................................................................................................................................................... ................................................................................................................................................ ........................................................................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................... .......................................................................................................................................................................... ................................................................................. .........................................................................................................................:scratchchin:

Jesus Geet! Do you know what your posts do to the computer screen? Put a few spaces in!! Just tidied if up for you. :wink:
I won't even mention what that did on my phone!

See our F1 related articles too!