FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Interesting take about Mclarens failed gamble from Pf1

Eric Boullier was quick to lay the blame on the UBIMET radar system after the team gave the potential leader, Jenson Button, some Inters when the rest of the field were on slicks. McLaren have got some fine results from making snap decisions in the past. But those are normally made by Jenson Button on the basis of feel for the track rather than looking at a radar screen and holding a finger in the air.

They didn't even back it both ways by putting Magnussen onto slicks. There is going to be an interesting meeting with Ron back at the factory and no mistake...

would love to be a fly on the wall for that one :hooli-popcorn::wine::munchies::morepopcorn:

and

The fact that Nico Rosberg was overtaken by Jean-Eric Vergne on Lap 14 and then spent 18 laps not getting back past him says it all. In fact, apart from the pesky Safety Car, if Nico wants to attribute anything for his failure to win the Hungarian GP, it's the fact that he couldn't pass the Toro Rosso.

Hamilton wasn't hanging around when Sebastian Vettel's spin allowed him a straight shot at Vergne. He was all over the back of the Toro Ross through Turns 1, 2 and 3 and then launched one up the outside into Turn 4. Whereas Romain Grosjean made that epic move in 2013 and got penalised for running off the circuit, Hamilton kept his wheels mostly on the track. One of the brilliant moves of 2014.

maybe Nico overthinks and spends too much time asking the team for advice on the radio, cant wait to see him start at the back and carve his way through the torro rosso, marrussias, saubers etc :hooli-popcorn:

gonna need a lot of :hooli-popcorn: for the second half of this fascinating season
...I think it is bad drills from Lauda not to tow the party line in public about the radio call.

I agree!! If they have "dirty laundry", it should be take care of behind closed doors.
Lauda was obviously trying to do the "political" thing by trying to diffuse the anger
and frustration of Hamilton fans; but, criticizing your team publicly isn't the best
way to do it.

n.b. I am NOT saying is was a good call, just that it was a team call.

Oh....

So what is your opinion about Alonso badmouthing his car the past few years, Luca talking smack about Alonso talking smack about the team, Luca talking smack about Alonso's qualifying speed? Surely all this must be behind "closed doors".

Enlighten me.

Bravo! You're learning... ALL of that should have been done behind closed doors!!

See?? It's not so hard to admit that no one is perfect!!
She cant. There is a time difference don't you know.

You've taken that out of context. What I referred to was not being able to respond in a timely fashion.
Other than to belittle my own contribution to this forum, I don't know what you think you're proving!!
She cant. There is a time difference don't you know.

You've taken that out of context. What I referred to was not being able to respond in a timely fashion.
Other than to belittle my own contribution to this forum, I don't know what you think you're proving!!

I know you were. But that wasn't even my initial point. WB, myself and Hammer seem to have conversations with no problem, and we are all about 20 time zones apart. My point was / is that when you are asked a direct question, you just seem to leave the conversation and never return, or just change topic.

anyway, Im sure it doesn't matter either way.
Bravo! You're learning... ALL of that should have been done behind closed doors!!

See?? It's not so hard to admit that no one is perfect!!

Okay...so who's perfect in F1 to you? And what makes you think these things "should" be behind closed doors? Niki has a right to speak what he thinks and I'm sure Mercedes will hold him back if he's talking too much in "open doors".

My point being, what you think should be said and shouldn't be said might not be right. These guys are professionals, have been in public light for almost their whole lives and they know how to handle themselves. Nothing wrong with what Lauda said, it might have helped Merc's image tremendously....as many are already talking about the German team trying to favour the German driver.

Maybe, you have some things to learn.
Enlighten me.

Havent you heard that its now ok to post anything whatsoever without regard to its veracity or truth. And its ok to contradict yourself either in the next post or if you are more cleverly subtly than everyone else who wont notice then you can even do it in the same post. Just remember to add a whip smiley so everyone understands how you have stumped them. And heres the beautiful part, if a few people point to your ""subtle"" sh!t stirring you can accuse them of having the pack mentality :thumbup:
If they'd put Lewis on softs he'd have won it. Wrong strategy, wrong tyres.

As RC says ...why didn't they put him on the options..? Were they 1.6 secs faster? Lewis had done a 31 lap stint on them....he could have easily won...& been the only F1 driver to go from pitlane to winner..

On Sky Martin Brundle said ...Lewis passed JEV with all four wheels on the track....

Damaged front wing...did he get this when he had a brush with the barrier.....first lap in his new car?

Lewis did say he would not hold Nico up...but he wasn't slowing down for him.......(I was thinking Turkey 2010....( :censored: ) & Silverstone Q3 this year...Merc strategist told LH.....let Nico pass, if you don't think you can go any faster...

Lauda was effusive in his praise, " This was for me an out standing drive" the Austrian enthused "Not only did Lewis start from the pit Lane, he had a brand new car, he'd not driven the car, then he had to start in the wet, so what Lewis did today with this unknown car, not absolutely balanced, to go all the way through & finish third was incredible"

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/241 ... uing-order

One of the many comments from under above report.

akira says 28/07/14 9:16am AllI can say is, THANK YOU LEWIS! Yet again he was extremely entertaining to watch and ok, the weather and safety cars played their part yesterday but still, to start in the pitlane and to finish third is a remarkable achievement that only a few drivers could dream about let alone achieve. I think Lewis is absolutely right to stand his ground on this situation. At NO TIME was Nico any where near close enough to mount an overtaking move and it;'s a massive cheek for Mercedes to even ask, knowing fully well that Nico would be much quicker at the end and could finish ahead of Lewis. From the teams point of view they may have seen the victory as important, and with the Mercs reliability going south they might be concerned that they may still not win the constructors' but come on. When i pay to see a race i want to see men fighting wheel to wheel with men. Hamilton gives us this action week in week out, even the vastly overrated Vettel has been doing a bit this year. I don't want to tune in and hear a whinging johnny average like Rosberg crying out for his team to let poor little Nico through, I had enough of that rubbish watching Ferrari from 1999 - 2006.

Legends are few & far between.....
One of the many comments from under above report.
I had enough of that rubbish watching Ferrari from 1999 - 2006.

Legends are few & far between.....

great post Ang, its good to know posters on other forums are also able to say it as they see it

talking about legends, have you voted on this yet?
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13493
If they'd put Lewis on softs he'd have won it. Wrong strategy, wrong tyres.

Lauda was effusive in his praise, " This was for me an out standing drive" the Austrian enthused "Not only did Lewis start from the pit Lane, he had a brand new car, he'd not driven the car, then he had to start in the wet, so what Lewis did today with this unknown car, not absolutely balanced, to go all the way through & finish third was incredible"

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/241 ... uing-order

Panic is borne out of a preference to see a certain end result or when a course of action fails to achieve the (anticipated) desired effect. Under intense mental scrutiny, human beings revert to the familiar and well rehearsed. The Mercedes pitwall simply can't erase the impression that they are dancing to the Nico version of agadoo. Perhaps if they had taken their head outta their arses for a minute, they would've realised Lewis was actually their best chance of winning the race and extending their unassailable lead in the WCC.
I wouldn't say that Lewis had their best chance of winning the race; Lewis himself admitted had he let Rosberg pass; he would have been behind him, and Rosberg was clearly faster near the end. I made comment in my blog about whether Lewis will be staying long term at Mercedes given (at least from the outside), Mercedes are definite favoring the German.
Maybe Lewis will leave Mercedes' sloppy seconds to Rosberg after he adds a WDC or two more to his tally? :wink: I think the silly season rumors started with Dietrich Mateschitz wanting to stir some controversy into the smooth running machine that had been Mercedes. Judging by the poor performance in the garage and the horrible decision from the pit wall, maybe they had some sort of effect.

F1 teams do that to each other all the time, back in 2011 Red Bull was the fat juicy target.
That's because Rosberg was put on the optimum strategy. The 3 stopper has always been the fastest around Hungary and Lewis, albeit with the help of the SC, worked himself into a stronger position than Rosberg to make it work. That's exactly what Ricciardo and his race engineer decided when Perez crashed. This flexible thinking was obviously lacking on Lewis's side of the garage and the Mercs hierarchy were happy to go with it.
Last edited by LH44 on 28 Jul 14, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

See our F1 related articles too!